Palehose vs. Twinkies 7/29--7:10pm--CSN

Brian

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
is the fire KW talk serious? It's an akward year with a lot of older vets with contracts going away, I mean you can't be serious

Uh, no. I wasn't serious. But there is some cause-and-effect here between the players our GM gets and the way they perform in a "ballpark" that puts a premium on speed and fundamentals. So I think it's a little foolish to pretend that KW is blameless if, year after year, the same slow, fundamentally shoddy guys are trotted out there.

No, I don't think anyone is calling for KW to be seriously fired, but at some point the guy has to be held accountable for giving Ozzie the same tired, slow, fundamentally inept team to work with, year after year. When given lemons, you might be able to make lemonade, but when given dogs***, you really can't make anything out of it. Know what I mean?

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
No, I don't think anyone is calling for KW to be seriously fired, but at some point the guy has to be held accountable for giving Ozzie the same tired, slow, fundamentally inept team to work with, year after year. When given lemons, you might be able to make lemonade, but when given dogs***, you really can't make anything out of it. Know what I mean?

Other than terrible mishandling of the last couple roster spots, KW has done a pretty damn fine job managing our rosters. Ozzie has had plenty to work with.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
Other than terrible mishandling of the last couple roster spots, KW has done a pretty damn fine job managing our rosters. Ozzie has had plenty to work with.

Because a lot of teams compete for the World Series without any kind of major league caliber leadoff hitter, center fielder, or third baseman?

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:33 AM)
Because a lot of teams compete for the World Series without any kind of major league caliber leadoff hitter, center fielder, or third baseman?

If we were going to compete for a World Series, we have those covered, actually.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
If we were going to compete for a World Series, we have those covered, actually.

CF = Pods/Wise = Brutal at CF/Brutal at the plate

Leadoff Hitter = Pods = anomaly this year

3B = Beckham = SS actually, but we have noone on the team that can play 3B and not suck completely at it.

I'd say we're "winging it" with those three this season, to be honest.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:51 AM)

3B = Beckham = SS actually, but we have noone on the team that can play 3B and not suck completely at it.

They are far from a problem and KW can and should be commended for his handling of both players.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Yes, saying Beckham and Pods are not problems on this team is so lol worthy. I mean, really? More or less, they are our two best position players at this point.

I'm not talking about the PLAYERS. Pods and Beckham are irreplacable on this team right now, but it has nothing to do with Pods playing CF and Beckham playing 3B. You're missing the point. Just because Beckham is a stud, doesn't mean we don't need a natural 3B. Beckham should be playing SS, and I'd gladly have him there instead of Alexei, except, we have no 3B... I'm not saying that Beckham is bad at 3B, just that it isn't his natural position. He was put there because we have no major league options at 3B. Just because Pods is having a comeback-player-of-the-year type season, doesn't mean we don't need a natural CF, either. I'd much rather we had a major league CF, so we could move Quentin to RF, Dye to DH, and Pods to LF, and improve our defense pretty dramatically(at least while Thome is sitting).

This team is extremely flawed, and if you can't see that, well, I don't really know what to tell you.

Edited by CQMVP

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 04:06 AM)
I'm not talking about the PLAYERS. Pods and Beckham are irreplacable on this team right now, but it has nothing to do with Pods playing CF and Beckham playing 3B. You're missing the point. Just because Beckham is a stud, doesn't mean we don't need a natural 3B. Beckham should be playing SS, and I'd gladly have him there instead of Alexei, except, we have no 3B... I'm not saying that Beckham is bad at 3B, just that it isn't his natural position. He was put there because we have no major league options at 3B. Just because Pods is having a comeback-player-of-the-year type season, doesn't mean we don't need a natural CF, either. I'd much rather we had a major league CF, so we could move Quentin to RF, Dye to DH, and Pods to LF, and improve our defense pretty dramatically(at least while Thome is sitting).

This team is extremely flawed, and if you can't see that, well, I don't really know what to tell you.

You made the statement we didn't have major league caliber players at those positions. Whether or not Pods and Beckham suck defensively, they are still ABOVE average players, let alone being worthy enough to play in MLB. They do PLENTY of more good then harm, and are where they not only because they are holes at their respective positions, but because we're kind of full at their natural ones. I do wish we move Slayer over a spot, but it's not going to happen on the middle of the season.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)

I gotta disagree. I actually think he's more suited at 2B at this level. Just don't think he has the range to play SS in the bigs. The only case in point I can refer to...Pedroia was actually a better SS defensively in college than Beckham IMO. Where's he at?