New JPNese, taking suggestions for next week...

JPN366

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great write up, JPN. Good to hear Retherford has been doing well defensively at 2B. It is no surprise he's such a hard worker given how far he's come since going undrafted.

JPN, for your next edition, could you talk about our relief prospects? I think you've said before that Mabee is a guy with an impressive fastball. Could you talk a bit about him, Santeliz, Omogrosso, etc. and whoever else you see as a power arm relief prospect?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Great to meet you in Birmingham. Nice article on CJ. He looks thick for a secondbaseman, like a Glen Hubbard. Not saying fat just thick. Seemed to move decent. Did I notice some kind of knee brace on the left?

I don't know if he wears a brace, but I do know he has a club foot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Another great write up, JPN. Good to hear Retherford has been doing well defensively at 2B. It is no surprise he's such a hard worker given how far he's come since going undrafted.

JPN, for your next edition, could you talk about our relief prospects? I think you've said before that Mabee is a guy with an impressive fastball. Could you talk a bit about him, Santeliz, Omogrosso, etc. and whoever else you see as a power arm relief prospect?

Sounds like a good idea.

Hey JPN, nice write up on Retherford. I really enjoyed hearing about his work ethic and character, since its not often you hear about athletes that have both those.

I'd ask about Hudson, if he hadn't been moved to AAA.

So it'd be nice to hear about D2 since he might be the one we see soonest after Viciedo.

These blogs are awesome JPN. My only concern is that you cover so much that you might run out of things to talk about after a while, lol. Hopefully not because they're fun to read.

Also, from where you sit, how would you rate Santeliz's slider? Is there a good amount of depth to it? And it might be hard to tell because he probably focuses on his fastball, but from what you have seen, what is his best pitch after the fastball? I love hearing about the hot-head on the field, clubhouse clown in dugout attitude. Sounds EXACTLY like the kind of guy I'd want on my team, especially in a (possibly?) future closer's role.

And lastly, how does Mabee's curveball look?

Another great piece, JPN. I was hoping you could cover a bit more on Santeliz. I've heard from a couple of sources around the net that the kid has a bit of arrogance to him. That he puts himself above the team. Have you heard anything like this? Is it possible that his class clown personality had led to his attitude being misconstrued by some people? Ultimately, if the kid can pitch, the kid can pitch, but character counts for something.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
These blogs are awesome JPN. My only concern is that you cover so much that you might run out of things to talk about after a while, lol. Hopefully not because they're fun to read.

Also, from where you sit, how would you rate Santeliz's slider? Is there a good amount of depth to it? And it might be hard to tell because he probably focuses on his fastball, but from what you have seen, what is his best pitch after the fastball? I love hearing about the hot-head on the field, clubhouse clown in dugout attitude. Sounds EXACTLY like the kind of guy I'd want on my team, especially in a (possibly?) future closer's role.

I got a very negative report on Santeliz' attitude just recently. Apparently everyone in Birmingham wants him gone, he's been stealing, he shows no respect towards team mates, staff or peoples property etc. It was just one report but the source went out of his way to tell me how nasty this guy is.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
I got a very negative report on Santeliz' attitude just recently. Apparently everyone in Birmingham wants him gone, he's been stealing, he shows no respect towards team mates, staff or peoples property etc. It was just one report but the source went out of his way to tell me how nasty this guy is.

Wow...

I hope that's not true.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)

Nah, I can yap and yap and yap about baseball. Santeliz slider is nothing spectacular, he usually buries it in the dirt to get guys to chase. Mabee's curveball is a 12 to 6, he also just uses it to work off his fastball/splitter combo.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Another great piece, JPN. I was hoping you could cover a bit more on Santeliz. I've heard from a couple of sources around the net that the kid has a bit of arrogance to him. That he puts himself above the team. Have you heard anything like this? Is it possible that his class clown personality had led to his attitude being misconstrued by some people? Ultimately, if the kid can pitch, the kid can pitch, but character counts for something.

Arrogance? Yes, but he's always shown his "good side" to the fans.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)

Hey Jeff, PM me about who told you that. I'm sure whomever told you that is not lying to you.

In addition to all that, he has a hot head, class clown personality, being only a few weeks shy of turning 23. He’s generally the lead prankster. He also serves as the gateway guy if you want a broken bat. When I got him to sign his 2009 Barons card, he told me “I hate this f***ing picture.”

That all sounded good to me when I read it. Sounded like a guy who kept the clubhouse loose. Maybe the broken bat part I misread or misinterpreted. I thought what you were saying was that when his teammates want him to pitch inside and send a message he does so. And I took the autograph story as light-hearted.

Clevelan Santeliz, I gave you a smiley in the game thread, but now you get one of these: :chair Take that, smiley!

thats pretty disappointing

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:46 AM)
That all sounded good to me when I read it. Sounded like a guy who kept the clubhouse loose. Maybe the broken bat part I misread or misinterpreted. I thought what you were saying was that when his teammates want him to pitch inside and send a message he does so. And I took the autograph story as light-hearted.

Clevelan Santeliz, I gave you a smiley in the game thread, but now you get one of these: :chair Take that, smiley!

I meant if you as a fan want a broken bat, you ask him to get it for you.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)

It was weird cause I saw the inside info you were talking about in regards to Santeliz. But when I talked to Gartrell he told me how big of a jokester Santeliz is and how he keeps the clubhouse lose.