June

AB: 65

AVG: .246

OBP: .402

July

AB: 70

AVG: .200

OBP: .313

Aug 2: Young was not in the lineup for Sunday's game against the Mets, the Associated Press reports. "I wanted to give Chris a mental blow," manager A.J. Hinch said. "He's carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. It's been a long year for him."

Recommendation: Young's average has slumped down to .197 this season and he just can't seem to find his way at the plate. He hasn't homered since June 13 and has just six long balls this season.

This place has so many awesome Chris Young threads in the archives that I don't even know where to start.

Chris was back in the starting lineup last night. He went 0-4 with a strikeout, and he left 6 men on base. His AVG currently stands at .195, and his OBP fell to .289.

My beef with this guy back in '07 was his tendency to swing for the fences with nobody on base, despite the fact that he was supposed to be a table-setter. Struck me as a severely retarded young man.

So yeah, his recent prowess kinda amuses me, in a sick way. I hate idiots.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
There's got to be a hitting coach out there who can fix his swing.

didn't you know it is Greg Walker's fault? Whenever there is a player who is more comfortable pulling the ball it is because Greg Walker taught him and preached it to him.

Just like earlier this season when they tried to teach Fields to hit to the right side and he couldn't do it.

He's also ruined Beckham by not letting him hit to the right side and teaching him to only "lift and pull" the ball.

It has nothing to do with the type of hitter and what they are comfortable doing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
So is Young a guy who is salvageable?

Mike Cameron is a guy who had a pretty rotten year at age 25 as Young seems to be doing. Cameron was .210 / .285 / .336 in 1998. He turned it around pretty nicely, but never really is going to hit .300 and always will strike out.

I'm a little surprised by how Young has struggled. Young's year in Birmingham was ridiculously impressive. Not only did he set extra base hit records, but he got progressively better every month - fewer strikeouts and more walks. I thought he was going to be the kind of guy who makes adjustments and has eye-popping peak numbers....like .290 / .400 / .520 with plus plus defense in Centerfield.

His problems may be mental - maybe he stopped working hard enough when he made it to the big league level, or maybe he got super conservative and he just keeps going back to the same routines because he had early success, even if they were bad habits. Young needs a change of scenery - I think he should go to a pitcher's park so he's not trying to jam the ball out of the park every AB.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
Mike Cameron is a guy who had a pretty rotten year at age 25 as Young seems to be doing. Cameron was .210 / .285 / .336 in 1998. He turned it around pretty nicely, but never really is going to hit .300 and always will strike out.

I'm a little surprised by how Young has struggled. Young's year in Birmingham was ridiculously impressive. Not only did he set extra base hit records, but he got progressively better every month - fewer strikeouts and more walks. I thought he was going to be the kind of guy who makes adjustments and has eye-popping peak numbers....like .290 / .400 / .520 with plus plus defense in Centerfield.

His problems may be mental - maybe he stopped working hard enough when he made it to the big league level, or maybe he got super conservative and he just keeps going back to the same routines because he had early success, even if they were bad habits. Young needs a change of scenery - I think he should go to a pitcher's park so he's not trying to jam the ball out of the park every AB.

So, you're saying Young should start doing the same steroids Cameron did?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
So, you're saying Young should start doing the same steroids Cameron did?

has Cameron ever been accused of doing steroids? I know he was suspended for amphetamines, but I don't remember anything other than that.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 02:26 AM)
So we got javy for young, and flowers for javy. Will Flowers be better then Young?

Another one of those "questionable" series of Kenny trades... It seems like we're getting rawed, then we see later what he saw in the first place: we flip garbage for talent, flip said talent for a payroll drop, turn that payroll cut into a (potentially) awesome prospect. Use what you can, get more from what you used. Hopefully Flowers shows up, even of 75% of what we expect of him will be worth it considering the transaction trail. Good observation. Hopefully it works out, long-haul.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:06 PM)
Another one of those "questionable" series of Kenny trades... It seems like we're getting rawed, then we see later what he saw in the first place: we flip garbage for talent, flip said talent for a payroll drop, turn that payroll cut into a (potentially) awesome prospect. Use what you can, get more from what you used. Hopefully Flowers shows up, even of 75% of what we expect of him will be worth it considering the transaction trail. Good observation. Hopefully it works out, long-haul.

Actually, I think Kenny saw in Javy Vazquez what he did in 2007 and what he's doing this year with Atlanta. The only problem was that the two years the Sox were competing, Javy Vazquez was a very mediocre pitcher. After the way he crapped his pants down the stretch last year, after pitching well all year, the writing was on the wall for him. He probably had the best all-around stuff of any pitcher the Sox have had this decade (though not the most dominant pitch), but he never put it together and never really has. He definitely lacks a killer instinct, and I am just reminded about his interview where he said something along the lines of how when he retires, he'll still be living comfortably back in Puerto Rico, and he doesn't care if he has a ring or not (something to that tune).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
Actually, I think Kenny saw in Javy Vazquez what he did in 2007 and what he's doing this year with Atlanta. The only problem was that the two years the Sox were competing, Javy Vazquez was a very mediocre pitcher. After the way he crapped his pants down the stretch last year, after pitching well all year, the writing was on the wall for him. He probably had the best all-around stuff of any pitcher the Sox have had this decade (though not the most dominant pitch), but he never put it together and never really has. He definitely lacks a killer instinct, and I am just reminded about his interview where he said something along the lines of how when he retires, he'll still be living comfortably back in Puerto Rico, and he doesn't care if he has a ring or not (something to that tune).

Javy is not a bad pitcher. But he's not a winner. And we just can't afford to blow games down the stretch because he pees in his pants at the first sign of pressure.