Freddy Garcia

Y2HH

I checked the AAA roster and he's listed as being on the 7 day DL -- but his assignment reads : rehab.

I've heard murmurs of his imminent return to the Sox, does anyone have any updates? Is he still topping out in the mid 80's, or has he somehow found some velocity as of late? His minor league stats look decent, but that doesn't translate to ML stats, either.

Anyway, was just looking for any info if anyone had any.

Edit -- topic should be Freddy, not Freddie...don't know why I typed it like that.

Edited by Y2HH

coop was quoted this weekend as saying he didn't think freddy was far off and would probably have two or three more minor league starts. if those go well maybe he gets one of the spot starts before peavy is ready.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
I checked the AAA roster and he's listed as being on the 7 day DL -- but his assignment reads : rehab.

I've heard murmurs of his imminent return to the Sox, does anyone have any updates? Is he still topping out in the mid 80's, or has he somehow found some velocity as of late? His minor league stats look decent, but that doesn't translate to ML stats, either.

Anyway, was just looking for any info if anyone had any.

Edit -- topic should be Freddy, not Freddie...don't know why I typed it like that.

I like him tossing 84 mph heaters up there.

We dubbed him "The Doc" for those of you who have seen Major league 3.

"you want me to stick with the offspeed stuff?"

"You have anything else?"

"Nope"

I thought the purpose of getting Fred in here was to help build up his arm strength and maybe he could be a factor for us next year if that went well?

If we bring in the Fred who was throwing 85 the past few years...he's going to get shelled.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
I thought the purpose of getting Fred in here was to help build up his arm strength and maybe he could be a factor for us next year if that went well?

I thought it was to see if his arm isn't completely dead. If he doesn't have the arm strength now, he'll probably never have it.

I love me some Freddy, but I don't like his odds.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I like him tossing 84 mph heaters up there.

We dubbed him "The Doc" for those of you who have seen Major league 3.

"you want me to stick with the offspeed stuff?"

"You have anything else?"

"Nope"

I went to see Major League 3 in the theater. I was the only person in there. Felt like a tool.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
I thought it was to see if his arm isn't completely dead. If he doesn't have the arm strength now, he'll probably never have it.

I love me some Freddy, but I don't like his odds.

I think I want to see Torres again this Sunday if that's possible. Not that anxious to see Freddy or the return of Fatolo.

Cooper said D.J. Carrasco was the in-house candidate once again, but depending on his use in the Angels series, that could change, with the Sox going to the minor leagues. Righty Carlos Torres and lefty Wes Whisler are on the radar.

"We have D.J. a possibility again, but we could go with the kid Torres again or go with Wes Whistler,'' Cooper said. "Those are the names.''

Not an option just yet is Freddy Garcia.

"Freddy won't be ready for that,'' Cooper said. "Freddy probably needs at least three more [starts] for us to start saying, 'OK, let's see where he is right now.' He's still getting his feet and legs underneath him. Freddy is up to five innings, 60 pitches, and his velocity was 87-88 mph average. We know that Freddy is hard balls and smarts, and we know his curveball, slider, changeup will be there, because they're always there, he can throw them on Christmas morning. It's a little more game stuff for him, making sure legs are under him and arm is strong. He's further along than where Jake is, but Jake didn't have an arm injury, Freddy did.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/08...a_fifth_st.html

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
I think DJ just worked himself out of the 5th starter consideration. He did great today though.

I'd like to save DJ on a night like last night where Contreras layed an egg. Keep him in long relief and bring up Torres again. He did pretty good in his MLB debut.

Edited by GreatScott82

• 2 weeks later...

Chris DeLuca writes about Jake Peavy's impressive rehab outing and also states that Garcia was saying goodbye to his Knights teammates:

Link

This is also where, just the day before, Freddy Garcia bid farewell to rejoin the Sox' rotation on Tuesday against the Kansas City Royals.

Immediate help is on the way in the form of Garcia. He said his goodbyes to the Knights' staff Tuesday, saying he was headed for Chicago -- presumably to fill the fifth spot in Sox manager Ozzie Guillen's rotation.

Freddy Garcia seems to be doing a pretty impressive job down in triple-a.

per dailyherald

Charlotte teammate Freddy Garcia is also close to joining the White Sox' starting rotation, and the 32-year-old righty could pitch against the Kansas City Royals Tuesday at U.S Cellular Field.

Garcia, still trying to make a full recovery from shoulder surgery two years ago, started for Charlotte on Tuesday and allowed 2 runs on 8 hits in 6 innings. He also had 9 strikeouts.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told reporters in Seattle Wednesday night Garcia is "real excited," but isn't sure when he'll join the Sox.

sounds like sweaty freddy will be back! Tuesday, August 18th Freddy is back!! Kind of sounds like a nightmare on elm st. film. :lol:

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
I never really liked watching Sweaty Freddy pitch (minus the one hitter against MN)

Nevertheless, I hope this somehow turns into a fantatic move for the White Sox and a great rejuvination of his career.

and game 4?lol