Seattle almost traded Felix Hernandez

ChiSox_Sonix

Seattle nixed three team trade which included Hernandez, Gonzalez

Lots of stuff has been leaking out in recent days about discussions between the Mariners and Boston Red Sox about a potential Felix Hernandez trade. From what we've pieced together, things were a little more detailed than just a simple phone call or two between the Mariners and Boston.

Here's what I've heard after working sources from my end.

I'm told the Red Sox apparently approached the Mariners and first tried to do a Hernandez trade with Seattle exclusively. Boston wanted Hernandez and gave the Mariners a list of eight prospects, from which Seattle would be allowed to pick any five.

They included:

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

Seattle turned that down. But that was just the warm-up act to the blockbuster proposal that followed.

When the Mariners rebuffed the Red Sox and it became clear the two sides could not get a deal done on their own, Boston GM Theo Epstein apparently got on the phone to his longtime close pal. San Diego Padres GM Kevin Towers.

It has since come out that Epstein and Towers were discussing a trade that would send home run slugger Adrian Gonzalez to Boston. But wait. Apparently, Epstein wants Hernandez more than anybody, even Gonzalez.

So, the three teams start discussing a possible three-way deal with Seattle that would send Gonzalez to the Mariners, along with Buchholz and a couple of other Red Sox prospects.

The Red Sox would get Hernandez.

And the Padres would get Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont and Carlos Triunfel from Seattle, along with a couple of other top Boston prospects.

A creative proposal, to say the least. And one that obviously would have blown away anything else at the July 31 deadline. Would have been the talk of future deadlines for years to come.

But it never happened. The Mariners apparently nixed it, feeling it would not benefit them in the long-term. Boston then turned around and dealt Masterson and Hagadone to the Indians for catcher Victor Martinez.

From what I'm hearing, the Mariners didn't think any of the packages they were being offered would go down much in substance over the next 12 months, when they'd only have another year-plus of Hernandez under control. Why give up the extra year, their reasoning went, if they could still get a similar offer at the 2010 deadline?

So, that was apparently Seattle's initial foray into the world of trading Hernandez.

It was an educational experience to say the least, and one that should serve them well should they choose to explore this further next winter or a year from now. And they still don't have to deal him. Once again, this was only their first venture into what they could possibly acquire if Hernandez doesn't sign a long-term deal with them over the next 12-to-18 months. Remember, Hernandez is under club control through 2011, but his arbitration years are about to get rather pricey. You'd think the club would like to buy some of those out at a lesser price starting this winter.

I'm sorry but you're not contending and probably won't be able to hang on to King Felix once he hits FA. That package you could have gotten from Boston could have really helped set up your future. IMO, they should have pulled the trigger.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
That wouldn't have been all that bad from Seattle's perspective, especially the 1st trade, imo.

Yeah, but they're right; there's no reason why they won't be able to get an equal package next year. Or perhaps even a better one if he keeps up what he's been doing since Mid May (2.40 ERA over that span).

Yeah, honestly, it's smarter if they hung on to him. I think they will end up paying him good since he will be the new face of the franchise and Ichiro will probably be retired and Bedard would be gone and they probably wouldn't have too many big contracts. Seattle spends like a mid-market team, so they'll pick him to pay unless they get blown away. Their GM is doing pretty good things there suprisingly IMHO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
That Jack Wilson trade?

I haven't seen metrics for Wilson, but a good defensive SS can do wonders for a pitching staff, and Wilson has made quite a few highlight reel plays that have shown incredible range.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:02 AM)
I haven't seen metrics for Wilson, but a good defensive SS can do wonders for a pitching staff, and Wilson has made quite a few highlight reel plays that have shown incredible range.

Seattle's new GM is actually incredibly focused on increasing Seattle's defensive efficiency. Apparently they are attempting to go to school on what the Rays did in 08'.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:56 AM)
Seattle's new GM is actually incredibly focused on increasing Seattle's defensive efficiency. Apparently they are attempting to go to school on what the Rays did in 08'.

I would say that Jack Wilson and Jason Bartlett are pretty similar players, and Bartlett is one of the most underrated players around the league. I don't expect a .330 average from him, but a .725 OPS and great defense at SS go a long ways towards building a good franchise.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 06:20 AM)
Hard to imagine the Mariners landing a better haul than what the Red Sox were proposing. Buchholz, Bard, Bowden and Reddick would've been an amazing package.

What is the value of a 23 year old starting pitcher with 800+ innings who has already proven himself to be one of the top 10 starting pitchers in the league? I'm not sure that's a trade that's ever been done. At 23 years old, it's very hard to gauge the value of Felix, and the Mariners apparently felt that wasn't enough. I can't blame them for not taking it, especially when they plan on competing in the next 3 seasons.

FWIW, both Bard and Buchholz are older than Felix, and Bowden and Reddick aren't much younger.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 06:05 AM)
What is the value of a 23 year old starting pitcher with 800+ innings who has already proven himself to be one of the top 10 starting pitchers in the league? I'm not sure that's a trade that's ever been done. At 23 years old, it's very hard to gauge the value of Felix, and the Mariners apparently felt that wasn't enough. I can't blame them for not taking it, especially when they plan on competing in the next 3 seasons.

FWIW, both Bard and Buchholz are older than Felix, and Bowden and Reddick aren't much younger.

You're right. I was looking more at the quantity than anything else (not to mention the fact I've got a crush on Daniel Bard). The only pitcher on the planet I'd take over Felix right now is that freak in Frisco. The package would have to be OVERWHELMINGLY stupid for the Mariners to trade him. Something that would almost make the Bedard trade look decent.