Angels @ Sox, 7:11 PM

lostfan

Francisco Liriano getting torched again.

Interesting, the Jeff Passan article today argues that it's almost 100% because of his "horrible" fastball and not because of the diminished torque on his slider...which is down in the mid to low 80's from 86-90 when he was so dominating in 2006.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
But JD needs to be a full-time DH. 5 errors and countless missed catches or balls falling out of his grasp just foul that should have been outs...not good.

I always thought JD could play an adequate 1B if Paulie was ever traded. I mean how hard could it really be? I think he is athletic enough. However, with Paulies "resurgence" this might never happen.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:27 PM)
I always thought JD could play an adequate 1B if Paulie was ever traded. I mean how hard could it really be? I think he is athletic enough. However, with Paulies "resurgence" this might never happen.

Very hard. He'd need to learn how to hold runners on, get a read on ground balls, know when to be the cut-off man on plays to home, trail runners on extra base hits, catch pick-off throws and apply tags, do some scouting on hitters to find out there tendencies, and he'd be nowhere close to Paulie a far as making picks on bad throws.

Minnesota has the best defense now in the ALCD with the addition of Cabrera and moving Punto over to 2nd...very solid OF and Cuddyer has a strong arm. But their rotation is very, very bad...and no offense outside of their Big 4.

The Tigers have the starting pitching, but not enough offense (unless Guillen and Ordonez really pick it up, and Thomas/Raburn continue to progress) and a similar bullpen to ours. And they have so many pitchers with high IP and pitch counts (Verlander/Porcello/Jackson)...which will come into play down the stretch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Very hard. He'd need to learn how to hold runners on, get a read on ground balls, know when to be the cut-off man on plays to home, trail runners on extra base hits, catch pick-off throws and apply tags, do some scouting on hitters to find out there tendencies, and he'd be nowhere close to Paulie a far as making picks on bad throws.

I wasn't trying to downplay 1B, but generally it is the easiest position to play.I guess my greater point that was not made clear is that I think JD has okay baseball instincts, I mean he isn't like Alexei Ramirez or anything.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Alexei's baseball instincts are fine, it's just his concentration and focus that are lacking.

But his baseball "instincts" are a lot better than the likes of BA, Fields or Borchard, etc.

Disagree. I think BA had decent ones....as long as he wasn't hitting. I think Ramirez gets by on athletic ability rather than any baseball instincts. I won't argue you on the other two guys though.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)

how do you get the big leagues without knowing that? every person thats played baseball when they were 13 years old knows the cut off situations

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
Disagree. I think BA had decent ones....as long as he wasn't hitting. I think Ramirez gets by on athletic ability rather than any baseball instincts. I won't argue you on the other two guys though.

Alexei can adjust better than any batter on our team from pitch to pitch...he has the quickest hands and bat speed.

Anderson has NO offensive plan or instincts whatsoever. He had no concept of situational hitting or shortening his swing.

Defensively, both are capable of the spectacular and brain cramps. BA missed quite a few cut-off men and despite his "strong" arm it was never a weapon that struck fear into the hearts of opponents. Ramirez has a better arm, comparatively, for his position.

Anderson is arguably a less instinctual baserunner than Ramirez, although both have their moments...Valentin and Ventura were two of the best I've seen with the Sox, although neither were close to fast...

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
how do you get the big leagues without knowing that? every person thats played baseball when they were 13 years old knows the cut off situations

Well, I don't know JD's little league career, but if he's been exclusively OF, who knows. He's old, he could very well have forgotten a few things. I'm not saying he doesn't know, but he certainly would have to be refreshed.