Should Torres and Hudson be the 4 & 5

knightni

Stolen from other thread

Cooper has bigger problems to deal with, like a starter for Saturday. Monday's off day allowed the Sox to play skip-a-roo for the time being, but they need a fresh arm to face the team that once resembled the Cleveland Indians.

Cooper said D.J. Carrasco was the in-house candidate once again, but depending on his use in the Angels series, that could change, with the Sox going to the minor leagues. Righty Carlos Torres and lefty Wes Whisler are on the radar.

"We have D.J. a possibility again, but we could go with the kid Torres again or go with Wes Whistler,'' Cooper said. "Those are the names.''

Not an option just yet is Freddy Garcia.

"Freddy won't be ready for that,'' Cooper said. "Freddy probably needs at least three more [starts] for us to start saying, 'OK, let's see where he is right now.' He's still getting his feet and legs underneath him. Freddy is up to five innings, 60 pitches, and his velocity was 87-88 mph average. We know that Freddy is hard balls and smarts, and we know his curveball, slider, changeup will be there, because they're always there, he can throw them on Christmas morning. It's a little more game stuff for him, making sure legs are under him and arm is strong. He's further along than where Jake is, but Jake didn't have an arm injury, Freddy did.

"Getting to Jake, he's going to have a side day [Wednesday] in San Diego and take two days off. Then he'll do something with us on Saturday.''

As far as the best-case scenario for Peavy's debut with the South Siders, that remained late August.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Has Contreras lost it again?

He's given up 14 runs and walked 15 batters in his last 19 innings (4 starts).

Perhaps he needs to be DL'ed or optioned again and worked on by Cooper's pitching guys.

That;'s a question I had about Jose --- is he hurt again? But, it may be just a rough stretch for him and remember how fragile his psyche is when he struggles. He seems to lose confidence quickly. I would like to see some comment from him or Cooper about last nights performance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)

Thanks for that info. If I am correct I believe the Saturday game is on WGN. It will be interesting to see who starts. I wouldn't mind seeing that Whisler kid but it could be Jose since he only went 2 innings on Tuesday

Edited by elrockinMT

Im guessing Torres is in Peavy's slot until he is ready. As far as Contreras goes, i highly doubt they bring up Hudson this early. I could see him coming up in September when there are expanded rosters. Honestly we could only hope he snaps out of it soon because he still is our best option.

Contreras has a small mechanical issue with his shoulders staying square and pulling his hip. Some pen sessions with Coop and a little video and he will be fine. I love how players can just "lose it" and never be good again. DO you realize how hard it is for these guys to repeat their delivery over and over from start to start?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
Contreras has a small mechanical issue with his shoulders staying square and pulling his hip. Some pen sessions with Coop and a little video and he will be fine. I love how players can just "lose it" and never be good again. DO you realize how hard it is for these guys to repeat their delivery over and over from start to start?

It happens sometimes.

I was only suggesting some more work on his mechanics and time away from the rotation for a few starts.

Before everyone starts clamoring for Jose to go bye-bye look at what he's done since coming back from the DL.

In his 4 starts in June he had a 2.15 ERA in 29.1IP, 19H, 4B, 21 SO.

In his 5 starts in July he had a 4.06 ERA in 31 IP, 31H, 12BB, 30SO.

In his 10 starts since returning, we are 5-5 in those games. He has 5 QS and has not been bombed in any of the games. The most earned runs he gave up in any of those games was 4. If you look at his game log, you see that when he doesnt walk many people, he has had great (not just good) starts. His problem right now is obviously with control. There's no reason to think he can't work on that with Coop.

Obviously, he started walking people again in July (and last night) and his ERA subsequently rose. But we're not talking about Jose anchoring our pitching staff. We're talking about him filling out the rotation as the #5 starter (once Peavy returns). Do you really believe Torres (who didn't look great against TB) would have more sustained success the rest of the year? And I'm beginning to love Hudson but that is a major gamble to bring him up.

Contreras is no longer a great pitcher, but as a number 5 starter he's still better than what most other teams trot out there. And if he's on, he's still capable of throwing gems with the repertoire of pitches he has.

Next year he'll be gone, but I really think he remains our best option to fill out the back of our rotation.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
Before everyone starts clamoring for Jose to go bye-bye look at what he's done since coming back from the DL.

I'm looking through this thread for a comment stating that we want him released (bye-bye) but I haven't seen it yet, can you quote it for me?

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm looking through this thread for a comment stating that we want him released (bye-bye) but I haven't seen it yet, can you quote it for me?

Removing him from the rotation is the same thing. Don't play semantics. And the flat out release has been brought up by several people recently in a multitude of other treads. Don't pretend as if you haven't seen it.