Blackwater

GoSox05

I love these Blackwater guys.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090817/scahill

A former Blackwater employee and an ex-US Marine who has worked as a security operative for the company have made a series of explosive allegations in sworn statements filed on August 3 in federal court in Virginia. The two men claim that the company's owner, Erik Prince, may have murdered or facilitated the murder of individuals who were cooperating with federal authorities investigating the company. The former employee also alleges that Prince "views himself as a Christian crusader tasked with eliminating Muslims and the Islamic faith from the globe," and that Prince's companies "encouraged and rewarded the destruction of Iraqi life."

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
I miss that show. They really messed up canceling that.

Amen. I was really hoping Sci-Fi was going to pick them up, but they didnt. Apparently a feature film is in the works, as is a comic book... excuse me... graphic novel. But nothing will beat the show.

"It's not just wishful thinking," Shotz said in an exclusive interview Tuesday at CBS Studios in Studio City, Calif., where he screened the pilot of his new series, Harper's Island. He added: "We've ... been developing a feature to hopefully make, because we would love to. I mean, ... Jericho is so built in a way, ... especially where we left off season two, to create a feature. So our hope is to launch this comic-book series and then, with the development at the same time of the feature, hopefully get that launched as well."
Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Amen. I was really hoping Sci-Fi was going to pick them up, but they didnt. Apparently a feature film is in the works, as is a comic book... excuse me... graphic novel. But nothing will beat the show.

A feature film would be cool. I just don't understand how people won't watch a cool, original show like that, but we have 10 seasons of the Bachelor.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
A feature film would be cool. I just don't understand how people won't watch a cool, original show like that, but we have 10 seasons of the Bachelor.

I saw the show as "LOST lite". Same idea in the way of story structure and mysteries. So, i naturally went right to it.

Actually, watched the Pilot free on iTunes after the first season was over. Fell in love, and watched every episode online over the course of the next few nights.

Those are pretty stunning allegations, but at this point just that. Do I really believe this Prince guy is acting like ruthless dictator or mob boss?

All the same I'm very disturbed by the idea of a large private military ran by a right wing religous nut.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
Those are pretty stunning allegations, but at this point just that. Do I really believe this Prince guy is acting like ruthless dictator or mob boss?

All the same I'm very disturbed by the idea of a large private military ran by a right wing religous nut.

well all stories of blackwater has shown a degree of lawlessness. So this wouldn't shock me, and mob boss wouldn't be entirely inaccurate

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't remember where the topic about Panetta scratching that secret CIA program should've gone, but so, the reason it alarmed him was because we were contracting blackwater to do it . I'm more than fine if not happy that these types of programs are being enacted. I think these programs are more effective in fighting terror cells than when we were working cold war in the 50s. However, to outsource it to a private contracting firm, especially one with blackwaters record, is outrageous. We, the people of the U.S., essentially contracted a hit man.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised it's been a couple months since this thread's been bumped. Anyway, Acorn did something evil again. At least I'm sure that's how this will be covered.

Blackwater Worldwide authorized secret payments of about $1 million to Iraqi officials that were intended to silence their criticism and buy their support after a September 2007 episode in which Blackwater security guards fatally shot 17 Iraqi civilians in Baghdad, according to former company officials.

Blackwater approved the cash payments in December 2007, the officials said, as protests over the deadly shootings in Nisour Square stoked long-simmering anger inside Iraq about reckless practices by the security company’s employees. American and Iraqi investigators had already concluded that the shootings were unjustified, top Iraqi officials were calling for Blackwater’s ouster from the country and company officials feared that Blackwater might be refused an operating license it would need to retain its contracts with the State Department and private clients, worth hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Four former Blackwater executives said in interviews that Gary Jackson, who was then the company’s president, had approved the bribes, and the money was sent from Amman, Jordan, where Blackwater maintains an operations hub, to a top manager in Iraq. The executives, though, said they did not know whether the cash was delivered to Iraqi officials or the identities of the potential recipients.

Blackwater’s strategy of buying off the government officials, which would have been illegal under American law, created a deep rift inside the company, according to the former executives. They said that Cofer Black, who was then the company’s vice chairman and a former top C.I.A. and State Department official, learned of the plan from another Blackwater manager while he was in Baghdad discussing compensation for families of the shooting victims with United States Embassy officials.