Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (OldSmoky2 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
There was a report a few days ago from AP with the Jays owner saying the team needed to cut costs.

"We think that we can bring costs reasonably under control and more in line with revenues," Blue Jays CEO Nadir Mohamed said.

So it's possible they decide to just let Rios go right now.

I would say probable, not possible. This is the break they have been hoping for so that they can keep Halladay.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
When will this mystery be resolved?

48 hours from the point that Rios was placed on waivers. I don't the exact procedure, but I am sure it is at a standardized time each day (maybe 3 pm CST, because that is the deadline for trades?).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
48 hours from the point that Rios was placed on waivers. I don't the exact procedure, but I am sure it is at a standardized time each day (maybe 3 pm CST, because that is the deadline for trades?).

I thought I read the term "2 business days."

So maybe not until next Tuesday afternoon?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:33 PM)
I thought I read the term "2 business days."

So maybe not until next Tuesday afternoon?

Actually, just read a report that said the Blue Jays would have until Tuesday to work out a trade, let him go or take off the waiver wire.

Assuming he was claimed, why wouldn't the Blue Jays talk to the White Sox (or whatever team it is) about giving up a prospect, and, if talks are stalled, just let him go at that point. Toronto still wins from their perspective, getting out from under than big contract.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:41 PM)
Actually, just read a report that said the Blue Jays would have until Tuesday to work out a trade, let him go or take off the waiver wire.

Assuming he was claimed, why wouldn't the Blue Jays talk to the White Sox (or whatever team it is) about giving up a prospect, and, if talks are stalled, just let him go at that point. Toronto still wins from their perspective, getting out from under than big contract.

Interesting. It must be business days then. So that means we get two extra days to speculate and agonize about it :bang

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Rios would fit in nicely. For the rest of this season Ozzie could work Rios in by DHing Quentin on some days and have Pods LF, Rios CF, and Dye RF. Other days he can rest Pods and have an OF of Quentin, Rios and Dye. Still other days he can sit Dye or DH him and have Q in LF, Pods in CF and Rios in RF. Still other days Rios can sit on the bench in place of Wise and come in as a defensive replacement when Buerhle has another perfect game going.

I agree. I made a thread that it made sense for the sox to trade for an OFer by the deadline. My main reasons were to rest Thome, Dye, Pk, Pods, and Quentin. Kotsay made some sense and does fit the profile. But I meant a real OFer. Rios would be nice for the sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
Interesting. It must be business days then. So that means we get two extra days to speculate and agonize about it :bang

Yes, 2 business days. You should take me off ignore: I posted the schedule like 3 pages ago :lolhitting

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can the sox basically acquire Rios for no prospects, just the $60 mill, remaining on his contract, if Toronto wants to shed payroll?

Yes, if they were the team that actually won the claim.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
Yes, if they were the team that actually won the claim.

From the sounds of it, on ESPN.com, only one team made a claim on him. That team could be "stuck" with Rios, and his entire contract. No deal has to be worked out. Toronto could just walk away.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
I can't see the Tigers having the money to claim him.

Maggs might be coming off the books if they can limit his PA. Sheff is also off the books after this year. Washburn, Polanco, Lyon come off too. However, Maggs is no guarantee and they still have to pay Dontrelle, Robertson, and Bonderman next year. Guillen is on the books until 2011. The payroll is still way up there, but their owner really wants to win and has authorized some pretty big expenditures.

To the team who won the claim, is there anything else (other teams) blocking them from getting Rios? Id assume theyd have to pass players through waivers to make a trade, so teams could block that.

But also i assume that if the jays would not accept any players and instead just let him and his contract go to the other team, then there is nothing any other team can do about it

sorry for my ignorance / if it has been posted already