White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great move. I still hope we resign Pods (maybe $4 million for a year) LF and sign Dye (maybe $8 million) as DH. That pushes the payroll up to about $85 million, pretty much the max we can spend considering the arbitration numbers. I think there is a real good chance Jenks gets dealt this off-season. You simply can't have a non-elite closer making what he could make next year with arbitration. Anyway, our lineup would look very sexy next year. You can probably count out Figgins, too, but I will gladly take a 28-year-old Rios over a 32-year-old (or whatever he is) Figgins at the same price over the next three years.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
well KW apparently thought that Rios is better than what's coming up on the market for the money. Hopefully he's right.

Yup. Our OF options this offseason, and we def. needed one; out-bid the Yankees and everyone else on Holliday or Bay and give up a draft pick, spend a good chunk of money on a 32 year old Figgins, or resign Dye and Pods to try to keep the gang together.

Jerry Angelo goes for broke and trades for Jay Cutler

Kenny Williams trades for Jake Peavy

Sox get Alex Rios for nothing

...man. This is awesome. Now let's turn this into some wins.

... and the Hawks have the offseason from hell while the Bulls prove to be one of the most poorly managed teams in the world.

Per Cowley on the Score:

Lot of confusion in the Sox club house, but coaching staff telling guys that this is another sign that the Sox are going for it.

Beckham is being considered as lead off, or possibly Rios.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Yup. Our OF options this offseason, and we def. needed one; out-bid the Yankees and everyone else on Holliday or Bay and give up a draft pick, spend a good chunk of money on a 32 year old Figgins, or resign Dye and Pods to try to keep the gang together.

Thaks for the breakdown of FAs, sounds like Rios was a good choice, the contract is a little big, but White Sox have the flexability.

In a pipe dream I would have love to seen Holliday here, but with Boras and NYY needing another OF, it likely wasn't going to happen.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
... and the Hawks have the offseason from hell while the Bulls prove to be one of the most poorly managed teams in the world.

The time to give the report card on the Bulls won't be until 2010, if they score one of the big free agents then it'll all be worthwhile.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Per Cowley on the Score:

Lot of confusion in the Sox club house, but coaching staff telling guys that this is another sign that the Sox are going for it.

Beckham is being considered as lead off, or possibly Rios.

does this mean Pods is out or something? Rios OBP isn't stellar this year. If it's something they want to work on with him in ST (I believe he's only 28) for next year cool, but this year?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
does this mean Pods is out or something? Rios OBP isn't stellar this year. If it's something they want to work on with him in ST (I believe he's only 28) for next year cool, but this year?

No. It means that when Pods isn't playing, those are the options.

I love it. I didn't even want to comment on the topic before now because I was afraid of being disappointed. Alex, like CQ and Floyd, seems like the ideal 'change of scenery guy." The talent is undeniable.

You just have to marvel at the masterful job KW, Rick Hahn and CO. have done in just two short years in regards to upgrading the talent on the big club and restocking the farm. We were a f***ing mess in 2007. Now look at us! I'm not sure what's going to happen this year (I think the Tigers are going to win the division), but this team is in prime position to own the AL Central for the next 3-5 years.