White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Per Cowley on the Score:

Lot of confusion in the Sox club house, but coaching staff telling guys that this is another sign that the Sox are going for it.

Beckham is being considered as lead off, or possibly Rios.

Pods is not being benched. At least not most nights. Thome, Dye, Quentin, Pods, Rios: play 4 each day, that gives each guy 1-2 days of rest per week.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
while the Bulls prove to be one of the most poorly managed teams in the world.

Yeah those six championships notwithstanding

In all seriousness though, NBA is so dynasty and star-driven, with a cap on top of it. Frankly you are a bad GM only if you fail to draft a star with a high pick.

The Bulls havent had the extremely good luck to get a #1 pick in the LeBron year, so really they're in the same boat as so many other organizations.

Meanwhile the White Sox were able to win a title with a piecemeal approach to their 04-05 offseason. In MLB, one can do that. I hate to say it, but it's just flat out easier to make yourself better.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
does this mean Pods is out or something? Rios OBP isn't stellar this year. If it's something they want to work on with him in ST (I believe he's only 28) for next year cool, but this year?

I wouldn't believe anything Cowley writes, or at least I'd take it with a huge grain of salt.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Per Cowley on the Score:

Lot of confusion in the Sox club house, but coaching staff telling guys that this is another sign that the Sox are going for it.

Beckham is being considered as lead off, or possibly Rios.

Wait, what does that mean in terms of Podsednik?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Yeah those six championships notwithstanding

In all seriousness though, NBA is so dynasty and star-driven, with a cap on top of it. Frankly you are a bad GM only if you fail to draft a star with a high pick.

The Bulls havent had the extremely good luck to get a #1 pick in the LeBron year, so really they're in the same boat as so many other organizations.

Meanwhile the White Sox were able to win a title with a piecemeal approach to their 04-05 offseason. In MLB, one can do that. I hate to say it, but it's just flat out easier to make yourself better.

Those teams were managed by Jerry Krause, but he has the good fortune to have his legacy buoyed by the best player to ever play in the NBA winning those 6 championships. Give him credit for drafting Pippen and the Rodman trade, but that is canceled out by the premature dismantling of the dynasty.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Resign Pods (yes that hurts me to say) to play LF, Rios in CF, CQ in Right next year whilst not rushing Danks2 up.

I like it.

I've always wanted to ask you this. You seem to have a genuine dislike for Pods that goes beyond his on-field performance. Why is that?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
Wait, what does that mean in terms of Podsednik?

I was just recapping what Cowley said. KW is going to be meeting with the team soon from the sound of it. We will know more then.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
Resign Pods (yes that hurts me to say) to play LF, Rios in CF, CQ in Right next year whilst not rushing Danks2 up.

I like it.

This gives the Sox options. Either Dye to DH or keep Thome next year. If Podsednik completely loses it (or either of those guys) in this last stretch run then we'll see what they're made of. We don't even know if a guy like Dye would be stubborn to be a DH even though we all wrote him in as one. Who knows, all I know is the Sox now have options

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
I've always wanted to ask you this. You seem to have a genuine dislike for Pods that goes beyond his on-field performance. Why is that?

No, was just based on overhyped abilities that people thought he posessed. I've been fairly tame concerning it this year, its been mostly hard to argue against what he has done this year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)

For some reason there's a very real anti-Pods faction that has to do with nonbaseball related stuff.

He kind of has that Rex Grossman type personality that (while perfectly OK to me) rubs some people the wrong way.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
This gives the Sox options. Either Dye to DH or keep Thome next year. If Podsednik completely loses it (or either of those guys) in this last stretch run then we'll see what they're made of. We don't even know if a guy like Dye would be stubborn to be a DH even though we all wrote him in as one. Who knows, all I know is the Sox now have options

Yeah I shoulda included that in my original post too. I am hoping and assuming we bring Dye back in a DH role.