White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stocking @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
Can you imagine if this means the end of Wise, Im gitty.

If this doesn’t spell the end of D-Wheezy, Ozzie needs to be fired. honestly, after this move there is no place for him on the team. Kotsay has to stay, because he can play 1st, Pods is Pods, Nix is now our super-utility guy, and Castro is our backup catcher. Wise will likely be back with the team in September, but he has no place on this team for the next month.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half. I mean, f***, Aubrey Huff has a f***ing .917 OPS this year. Defense is nice and all, but we're talking 12 mil a year for a 830-860 OPS (hopefully) and solid CF defense. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

We've tried and failed to get an adequate replacement for Rowand for FOUR seasons now. What part of heavy or lifting don't you understand? Who were we going to get in the offseason that would be better?

Center Field is an important defense position. This is a great day for the Sox. You'll come around - trust me. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Not really. Ozzie delves into his bench a lot anyways. This may require just a little more of that, but it's going to be hardly noticeable if Ozzie plays the cards right.

Frankly, this ought to mean we don't see Wise or Kotsay playing anywhere again except Kotsay subbing for Konerko 1-2 times a month.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
Not really. Ozzie delves into his bench a lot anyways. This may require just a little more of that, but it's going to be hardly noticeable if Ozzie plays the cards right.

If he is going to have the impact that it seems everyone is hoping for, he will need the regular ABs. I do not see him as the homeless guy shuffling from spot to spot. But it's all speculative at this point. We'll see over the next couple weeks.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Rios is an elite defensive RF with an elite arm and the 500 innings he spent in CF last year were also among the best in the game. I suspect he'll be a bit better than 'solid' out there for us.

Even if I replaced solid with super exceptional sensational it wouldn't change my opinion (and that's fine, I'll give you that). We have too many holes we needed to fill this offseason to being paying a decent hitting, great CF 12 million a year. I can't imagine that he'll save enough runs in CF to make up for the fact that we won't have the cash to get another OF (and leadoff man, hopefully we can afford Pods), 1 or 2 middle relievers, a fifth starter, and what I hoped to be a 2nd baseman.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Unfortunately, or fortunately I suppose, that didn't cripple our spending for the next several years.

A poster here gave us little preview of our payroll for the next couple of years.. Were in good shape especially with alot of contracts comming off next year.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
We've tried and failed to get an adequate replacement for Rowand for FOUR seasons now. What part of heavy or lifting don't you understand? Who were we going to get in the offseason that would be better?

Center Field is an important defense position. This is a great day for the Sox. You'll come around - trust me. :gosoxretro:

I hope so. I like Rios and I think he plays great defense and its something that we obviously need badly, but we have a ton of holes that need filling this offseason, and I don't know how in hell KW is gonna get any money from JR after spending more than 100 mil this month.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
A) Detroit isn't in any apparent position to add 60 million dollars.

B ) Do you really think KW risks adding 60 million dollars for the sake of adding 60 million dollars?

KW wanted him. He got him.

^^^^^

correct

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Probably that he gets two starts in LF, one in center a week and is the #1 pinch runner.

Yep, he's pretty much what Wise was at the end of last year. Except ten times more useful. Pods will be pretty key for us off the bench down the stretch, but he will get a lot of bats.

I like this move. Rios needs to learn some plate discipline and I'm not so sure Walk is the guy to teach him that, but he's got some pop, speed, and D. The best CF we've had in quite a few years.

I didn't read through the 60 some pages in the waiver thread nor have I read all 10 of these, but I sure as f*** would like to know where all this money was at when Bobby Abreu was on the market for, what, $5M this season?

we almost had torii hunter for 18 million a year and rios is younger and puts up very similar numbers and also great D for only 12mil on avg for the next 5 years. this is a middle of the season free agent signing essentially. this is a great move. pods will spell TCQ and Dye once a week, maybe spell Thome against a tough lefty with TCQ moving to DH for those games. Pods late game PR ability could determine a few wins down the stretch, i love this move and if you dont, you will.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
I like this move. Rios needs to learn some plate discipline and I'm not so sure Walk is the guy to teach him that, but he's got some pop, speed, and D. The best CF we've had in quite a few years.

I didn't read through the 60 some pages in the waiver thread nor have I read all 10 of these, but I sure as f*** would like to know where all this money was at when Bobby Abreu was on the market for, what, $5M this season?

We had no where to play Abreu, the only way signing him made sense was if Dye was dealt first and I don't think that was a realistic option given Dye's $12.5M salary and the fact that a similar player was looking at a 1 year, $5M deal on the open market.

Kudos to KW. If people are worried about his value in relation to what the Sox are paying him read this:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2009/8/10/9845...os-to-white-sox

It pretty much spells out how valuable he is on defense and what his "down numbers" means compared to the collection of CFers we have had.

I do not see how this can be viewed as a negative.