White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
Who said he was a savior? Please quote that post, cause I havent seen it. And yes, on the open market, not in last offseason, he IS a 60 million player, no question.

Aaron Rowand 5 years 60 million signed as a 30 year old career stats .282 .341 .793

Torii Hunter 5 years 90 million signed as 32 year old .274 .329 .802

Alex Rios 5 years 60 million signed as 27 year old career stats .285 .335 .786

The White Sox assumed the contract THIS year. That's why THIS year's economic climate is relevant.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Next offseason will be the same or worse. Probably worse as the FA class is pretty weak. Even the Yankees are making teams eat money.

Which means worst players will be getting paid even more than what they are worth, and you are saying the economy is going to be worse than last year? I doubt it since teams were mostly cutting costs trying to PREDICT what would happen with their fan base and the economy, and at this point its pretty clear we have seen the bottom and attendance is not as bad as originally thought.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
I don't think he was insinuating anything about anyone in particular...

The question was posed if KW should be worried about upsetting Dye or Pods and maybe ruffling their feathers at all. KW responded, "Uhhhh no. A game like yesterday ruffled my feathers."

To me, his comment had a very "you made your own bed" feel to it.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Don't know. I have made a pretty concerted effort to keep off the Walker subject, maybe you should make a concerted effort not to try and bait.

Can I mention your boy Rudy in Texas? The Rangers are 13th in the AL in AVG. and OBP. but lead the league in homers. Lift and pull.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Have we ever acquired anybody from Toronto before outside of David Wells?

Only 4 transactions since the Wells deal. We got Kelvin Jimenez off waivers from the Jays this past offseason.

Dewon Day from in the Rule V draft in '05.

Brian Simmons off waivers in '01.

Scott Eyre for Gary Glover in Nov of '00.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
The White Sox assumed the contract THIS year. That's why THIS year's economic climate is relevant.

And in THIS coming offseason, his contract would have been on par with what he would have been paid, especially with the weak class. I'd like to see an example of what contract you think he would get right now, since I've already thrown out 2 players that are comparable with worse contracts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Which means worst players will be getting paid even more than what they are worth, and you are saying the economy is going to be worse than last year? I doubt it since teams were mostly cutting costs trying to PREDICT what would happen with their fan base and the economy, and at this point its pretty clear we have seen the bottom and attendance is not as bad as originally thought.

We'll see in the winter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
And in THIS coming offseason, his contract would have been on par with what he would have been paid, especially with the weak class. I'd like to see an example of what contract you think he would get right now, since I've already thrown out 2 players that are comparable with worse contracts.

Rosenthal said last offseason you could have signed Abreu, Hudson, Branyan and Adam Everett and still had $800 k left over for one season of what Rios would be averaging.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Any other tidbits from KW's interview? I'd love to know where they plan on having Rios bat. If we put him in the 6-7 range, at least it would give us some more speed.

He wasn't that specific. He only really said that Rios is here, he was after him, he thinks he'll help now and in the future, and he's going to play no matter who does or does not like it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
Jose Contreras. The Sox think he's not giving it 100 pct, and as soon as they can, they will remove him from the rotation.

KW wasn't talking about Jose. Did you hear the interview or are you basing that from the quote reported here?

The context was as follows: Holmes asked KW if when he made the claim on Rios he had any concern that some of the veterans like Dye, Pods, Thome, etc. would have their feathers ruffled. KW responded not at all. He then added that watching games like yesterday's ruffle his feathers and that the players should worry about ruffling his feathers because that's when people start to leave town. Then he added that if the Rios move works, it makes it more likely that the vets will return.

It had nothing at all to do with Jose Contreras.

Any other tidbits from KW's interview? I'd love to know where they plan on having Rios bat. If we put him in the 6-7 range, at least it would give us some more speed.

He pretty much said it was up to Ozzie to find a place to play him. Work the matchups, etc

Unless anyone else heard otherwise...I believe he's going to leave that up to Ozzie. There isn't anyone on the 25 man roster who has to worry about seeing the field...if you're on Ozzie's team, you're going to play.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:20 AM)
I don't think he was insinuating anything about anyone in particular...

The question was posed if KW should be worried about upsetting Dye or Pods and maybe ruffling their feathers at all. KW responded, "Uhhhh no. A game like yesterday ruffled my feathers."

i'm not worried about upsetting any of the guys on the roster (not saying you are, this was just a convenient post to quote).

those guys are all vets. i'm sure they are uncertain and luckily for them there are writers hanging around ready to chronicle their uncertainty. but at the end of the day these guys will get over it. i can guarantee it isn't the first time a guy was brought to challenge them for playing time. step up or sit down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
Rosenthal said last offseason you could have signed Abreu, Hudson, Branyan and Adam Everett and still had $800 k left over for one season of what Rios would be averaging.

Which is just flat out wrong since he's not including any of the $4.6M Hudson is going to earn in incentives this year.