White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
Jerry approved of this deal because of our attendance, per KW. We were at just over 90 million this year for our payroll this year before Peavy and Rios. We might not only be looking at that insane amount of money off the books, but also a general increase in payroll for next year, as I doubt the doomsday expectations were met. Regardless people worried about the money are being ridiculous.

KW mentioned the 5 or 6 thousand walk-ups we had during the last home stand. I'll bet KW used that as a selling point to JR on this.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
Jerry approved of this deal because of our attendance, per KW. We were at just over 90 million this year for our payroll this year before Peavy and Rios. We might not only be looking at that insane amount of money off the books, but also a general increase in payroll for next year, as I doubt the doomsday expectations were met. Regardless people worried about the money are being ridiculous.

Whatever KW says, I think the truth is they had some money to play with. They weren't at their budget at the beginning of the season, perhaps anticipating moves like this, and for everyone who thinks I think Rios blows, I don't and I hope he hits .400 with 80 homers.

Rios was a Type A player in the offseason, so it is nice to get him without giving up draft picks.

I also like the fact that KW is getting more than 2 month rental players in Peavy and Rios. It is hard enough to find moves that help now or later, let alone for both situations. He pulled off 2 of them in a matter of 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Whatever KW says, I think the truth is they had some money to play with. They weren't at their budget at the beginning of the season, perhaps anticipating moves like this, and for everyone who thinks I think Rios blows, I don't and I hope he hits .400 with 80 homers.

+1

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
a few hours ago some smart person mentioned there are a couple spots where the team probably could and should overpay. This feels like that spot. The problems have been around for a few years and there does not seem to be a solution in the organization for the next year or two.

We needed to spend some money on an OF this offseason anyway. Maybe 2. We were likely going to have to overpay for one of them at least, and if we didn't overpay, we'd get punished even more on defense.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
Rios was a Type A player in the offseason, so it is nice to get him without giving up draft picks.

I also like the fact that KW is getting more than 2 month rental players in Peavy and Rios. It is hard enough to find moves that help now or later, let alone for both situations. He pulled off 2 of them in a matter of 2 weeks.

Back when the Sox were drafting guys like Broadway and McCullough in the first round, giving up draft picks was ideal. Its saved you millions for garbage.

I've been skeptical of KW since 2005 because of many questionable moves and/or lack of them, wondering if 2005 was a fluke. After what you just mentioned, KW has fully earned my respect and support. That was an unbelievable 2 acquisitions in numerous ways.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:46 PM)
The walk ups were for $9 tickets. They have been sitting on money.

Agreed. The walk-ups are extremely encouraging in anticipation of an attendance spike for the rest of this season, though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
Back when the Sox were drafting guys like Broadway and McCullough in the first round, giving up draft picks was ideal. Its saved you millions for garbage.
However, now that could be like giving away someone like Beckham.

I like this move and I'm wondering if this is a change in philosophy, putting more emphasis on defense and speed vs. power. I wouldn't mind seeing both Dye and Thome leave and see an Abreu or Winn, someone with more speed and higher batting average (I know Winn is having a bad year).

I didn't see any highlights or read any notes about yesterdays game. Can someone fill me in on what ruffled KW's feathers?

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:52 AM)
I like this move and I'm wondering if this is a change in philosophy, putting more emphasis on defense and speed vs. power. I wouldn't mind seeing both Dye and Thome leave and see an Abreu or Winn, someone with more speed and higher batting average (I know Winn is having a bad year).

I didn't see any highlights or read any notes about yesterdays game. Can someone fill me in on what ruffled KW's feathers?

a pretty atrocious day of outfield defense, for one.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)

I don't think there's any question about it. The White Sox want to have a fast team that can play defense and score runs. They just haven't been able to swap out the slow guys yet, but its coming. A couple years from now there will be no Thome or Konerko or Dye or AJP.

The guy that makes the biggest killing is the one who's willing to buy when everyone else is selling. Reinsdorf understands this probably better than all of us here combined. Hell, it's basically why he wants to buy the coyotes. Be flexible enough to buy something for 50 cents, resilient enough to watch it go to 25 cents, and then sell it for dollars later.

Is there risk involved with this strategy? Of course, but I'm glad it's my team taking the risk and not watching other teams jump on these opportunities. I'd like to believe the Sox had the foresight to prepare themselves to be in this enviable position by hawking Swish and Vasquez and showing some restraint in the off-season. Reinsdorf is pretty damn savvy so I'll believe it.

The upside here far outweighs the down - think about the economics in relation to the price paid for Peavy and Rios. 1 good prospect, 1 decent prospect, and 2 replaceable ones for Peavy and Rios for absolutely nothing. If the only downside in all of this is financial inflexibility 3 or so years down the road...that's a pretty manageable downside - especially when you consider you can't predict the economy at large at that point. The upside? You got a 27 year old cy young winner and a plus CENTER fielder that can actually hit a bit who's got a decent amount of years left in him.

You've got to hope for a bounce back out of these guys, but we've seen they have the talent to accomplish that. I for one, love the fact that our Front Office has the balls to pull these types of moves - very thrilled about this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Cardinals are going to have money to spend, according to their broadcasters tonight. Their attendance is going to be nearly 500k more than they expected.

Maybe they'll bring back Marquis for $12 mil a year...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)

I was waiting for it!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
So, let's imagine this...let's say you're right and he's slightly overpaid. That means either he's making $1-2 million more than he should be per year, or he's signed for what, 1 year longer than would be fair?

Given our holes in CF and the fact that we get him for this season for only $2 million, doesn't it seem worth paying a slightly premium price if this guy brings production?

Or look at it another way: We've been paying Jose $25 million to not pitch well over the past 2.5 years, and that hasn't exactly crippled us financially.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Whatever KW says, I think the truth is they had some money to play with. They weren't at their budget at the beginning of the season

They probably were close to their budget at the beginning of the season, but Peavy and Rios aren't costing them that much THIS year. Their contracts are going to be offset by all of the veterans coming off the books over the next year and a half.