Dye is seriously slumping

joeynach

On July 12th, the last game before the All star break, Dye was hitting .302 with 20 HRs and 55 RBI. Since the break dye has posted a line of .167/4/12. Ouch!!!

He is in a serious slump, now spanning a total of the last 22 games. For some reason Dye's struggles seem a bit is swept under the rug, but I have noticed a ton of pulling off the ball and rolling over to the 3B or SS. He is really scuffling and to me, as the #3 hitter in our lineup, it really effects our offensive production. Just imagine if everybody is clicking at the same time, the table setters, the 3-4-5-6 power punch. I hope he comes out of this sooner rather than later, we are really going to need our 3 hitter to produce (or dare I say get him out of the 3 spot).

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Dye needs to sit. He couldn't hit a sixteen inch softball lately.

Either got pull happy or his timing is way off becuase id say if he doesnt strike out, right now like 80% of his out are grounders to third or short.

I've been sitting him on my fantasy team. Usually, this means he should be hitting the s*** out of the ball. But, the opposite has happened. Should I start him just to see if he somehow turns it around? :lolhitting

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I've been sitting him on my fantasy team. Usually, this means he should be hitting the s*** out of the ball. But, the opposite has happened. Should I start him just to see if he somehow turns it around? :lolhitting

That should do it.

If Q tears it up for awhile, something may have to be done.

But hitters slump, and Dye singlehandedly held this team together earlier in the year. A phenomenal first half.

Guillen is the type to ride that right into the ground if he has to.

Q has been improved but we need a larger sample size based on how awful he looked up til this point.

If you make one rush to judgment about one of our sluggers, you are compounding it with a second one.

Edited by Princess Dye

If Q tears it up for awhile, something may have to be done.

But hitters slump, and Dye singlehandedly held this team up earlier in the year. A phenomenal first half.

Guillen is the type to ride that right into the ground if he has to.

Q has been improved but we need a larger sample size based on how awful he looked up til this point.

If you make one rush to judgment about one of our sluggers, you are compounding it with a second one.

Q has been hitting the ball pretty hard lately, and provided more production of late than JD has since the All-Star break. I'm all for not rushing to judgement, but at the same time this is now a 50 game sprint; we really don't have the time for patience right now in as important a lineup spot as the 3 hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Dye and PK are both in serious slumps since the ASB. Those are two huge holes in the lineup, especially when they are batting somewhere in 3-4-5.

Dye is batting .186, .289 OBP with a .586 OPS since the ASB. PK is about the same at .197 BA, .296 OBP, and .681 OPS since the ASB.

With the acquisition of Rios, and with Dye's play of late (offensive and defensive), it is really hard to see him on the Sox next year.

I know it is a fifty game sprint but this is where Rios and Kotsay can help spell them. Some of it may be physical with nicks and bruises accumulated to this point and some may be mental in regards to job security and the future. Thome missed time due to interleague and came back invigorated. Hopefully others will also. I think Beckham has played a lot without a break and the league is adjusting or he is also dropping production a bit. We need to get it together soon.

I know if the choice for 2010 was Dye or Thome 2 months ago, the majority would take Dye. In fact, it probably would have been a landslide. I wonder if that's still the case.

I think Dye will pick it up offensively, but defensively he seems to be getting deeper in quicksand every day. Last night, he didn't know how many outs there were, AGAIN. Fortunately, there were 3. I just hope he can bear down the final 40 games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
Dye's out of the line-up today. Castro is playing, so is Lillibridge.

No real suprise, subpar opposition, last game of a series at home, get JD rested as much as possible before the big games we have against the AL East.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
I know if the choice for 2010 was Dye or Thome 2 months ago, the majority would take Dye. In fact, it probably would have been a landslide. I wonder if that's still the case.

If he continues to slump through next month, I don't think that he'll be brought back next year. Thome's not making much of a case for playing here next year either, with his slower bat (from what I've seen) and age-related nagging injuries. That said, JT would be more likely willing to sign a one-year deal this winter, so my money is on him right now.

That said, both of these guys are on the down-slopes of their careers and the Sox desperately need a younger offense. I'd much rather see Kenny bring in somebody like Blalock to play 1B or DH, and kick both of these dinosaurs to the curb.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
If he continues to slump through next month, I don't think that he'll be brought back next year. Thome's not making much of a case for playing here next year either, with his slower bat (from what I've seen) and age-related nagging injuries. That said, JT would be more likely willing to sign a one-year deal this winter, so my money is on him right now.

That said, both of these guys are on the down-slopes of their careers and the Sox desperately need a younger offense. I'd much rather see Kenny bring in somebody like Blalock to play 1B or DH, and kick both of these dinosaurs to the curb.

I'm puzzled by your criticizm of Thome. Not making a case for playing here seems harsh. His OPS this season is over .900. Check out Jim Thome this year vs. Josh Fields in 2007 when so many just assumed he was going to be a star, if not already one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
I'm puzzled by your criticizm of Thome. Not making a case for playing here seems harsh. His OPS this season is over .900.

He also turns 39 tomorrow and is so fragile at this point in his career that he can't do anything other than DH.

I'm all for bringing back Thome for one last year at the right price. But the Sox would be much better off over the long term with somebody like Blalock.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
He also turns 39 tomorrow and is so fragile at this point in his career that he can't do anything other than DH.

I'm all for bringing back Thome for one last year at the right price. But the Sox would be much better off over the long term with somebody like Blalock.

I disagree. Blalock gives you more versatility in that he can play the field, but he's not a 3B anymore, so you're only getting 1B and DH from him. He'll give you the power Thome has, as well as the low average Thome has, but his OBP and OPS sucks (.277 / .754) this year. Blalock also will probably want a longer contract for more dollars per year than Thome at a time when the Sox have some potential hitters coming up from the minors in the next two years. I still take Thome at a reduced price for next season.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
I disagree. Blalock gives you more versatility in that he can play the field, but he's not a 3B anymore, so you're only getting 1B and DH from him. He'll give you the power Thome has, as well as the low average Thome has, but his OBP and OPS sucks (.277 / .754) this year. Blalock also will probably want a longer contract for more dollars per year than Thome at a time when the Sox have some potential hitters coming up from the minors in the next two years. I still take Thome at a reduced price for next season.

Who was the last good hitter that the Sox developed through their farm system? (Besides Beckham, who went almost straight through from college.) Josh Fields? Chris Getz? Brian Anderson? Please don't tell me that you're relying on people like Jordan Danks to replace Thome, Dye, and Konerko over the next few years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Convince me. You want to replace a .900 OPS with a .760 OPS, all from the DH spot.

Meh, maybe not Blalock specifically, but the Sox need a younger veteran bat. Thome won't be sporting a .900 OPS for much longer. Rios was a nice start, but they need one more. At this point, you can't even rely on Quentin to stay healthy enough to build around.

Edited by WCSox