Blame it on Rios

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
If he continues to hit like he has been since the ASB then I'm fine with him sitting more often.

That's not going to do anything for his confidence, and we need him full-strength as we make a playoff push. What we need to do is keep him in the lineup to reassure him that we have plans for him, too. Benching him more often may give him the impression that he is indeed on the way out, and that may impact his play even more.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
That's not going to do anything for his confidence, and we need him full-strength as we make a playoff push. What we need to do is keep him in the lineup to reassure him that we have plans for him, too. Benching him more often may give him the impression that he is indeed on the way out, and that may impact his play even more.

I also don't want to see 2006 relived. You know where Dye, Thome and others decided to stop hitting in August and September.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
It's nice to know that JD wants to stay beyond this year. But it'll have to be as a DH.

Not even as a DH. Dye has no place on this team after 2009. With the addition of Rios in CF (he should be the CF, at least), Quentin should be moving to RF. That leaves the choice between Dye and Thome to be DH, and since we have no left-handed power without Thome (coupled with his pursuit of 600, which will definitely come into play whether or not it should), Dye becomes the odd man out. I love the guy and what he's brought to the team, but it's just time to go our separate ways.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
Not even as a DH. Dye has no place on this team after 2009. With the addition of Rios in CF (he should be the CF, at least), Quentin should be moving to RF. That leaves the choice between Dye and Thome to be DH, and since we have no left-handed power without Thome (coupled with his pursuit of 600, which will definitely come into play whether or not it should), Dye becomes the odd man out. I love the guy and what he's brought to the team, but it's just time to go our separate ways.

Keep in mind that Thome turns 39 in two weeks. His production is going to hit the wall a lot faster than JD's.

The 600 HR pursuit is irrelevant. The strongest arguments for keeping Thome over Dye would be the fact that Thome would probably accept a one-year deal (Dye would likely want a multi-year deal) and the left-handed power bat (which is basically a Band-Aid, as the Sox need a younger left-handed bat for the long term). If Kenny keeps Thome over Dye, it's going to be mostly for financial flexibility.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Not really...it can certainly have an impact on ticket sales and marketing, and thus his contract can help pay for itself more.

While ticket sales may weigh on the minds of the execs, as a fan I want to see the best team on the field that gives us the best chance of winning down the line. While Thome offers the LH power bat and OBP, I think Dye has more to offer over a longer period of time. It would be awesome to see Thome hit his 600th in a White Sox uniform but that isn't going to be the main draw for fans all season long; a consistent on-field product for multiple seasons to come will have a larger fan-drawing effect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Not really...it can certainly have an impact on ticket sales and marketing, and thus his contract can help pay for itself more.

Thome's currently 38 HRs away. Given his age and propensity for nagging injuries, it's likely that he's not going to get there until early 2011. Kenny shouldn't give him a two-year deal to ensure that he hits #600 in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
I think the big question here is if Jimmy would sign a 1 year deal. If he's looking for a 3 year deal, he's got to go. His skills and health cannot be counted on for 3 more years.

Hell, I'm not convinced that Dye's health can be counted on for three more years. I'm thinking a one-year deal for Thome or a two-year deal for Dye, maximum.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
We hope so JD, but most likely as a DH...

You hope so. Dye makes absolutely no sense going forward. He will be gone from this organization.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
I think the big question here is if Jimmy would sign a 1 year deal. If he's looking for a 3 year deal, he's got to go. His skills and health cannot be counted on for 3 more years.

If Thome looks for a 3 year deal, I imagine I will literally s*** roses, full bloom, and I'll sell them for $150 dollars a piece. Because if a rose comes out an ass full bloom, you have to imagine it's worth atleast $150, right?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Thome's currently 38 HRs away. Given his age and propensity for nagging injuries, it's likely that he's not going to get there until early 2011. Kenny shouldn't give him a two-year deal to ensure that he hits #600 in a Sox uniform.

Jim has 21 HR this season in 2/3 of the year, with a lot of time on the bench due to interleague play. If he keeps up exactly this same HR rate, he'll get there in 2010.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
Jim has 21 HR this season in 2/3 of the year, with a lot of time on the bench due to interleague play. If he keeps up exactly this same HR rate, he'll get there in 2010.

Given that he's right at the age where most hitters tend lose bat speed and injuries become more problematic, he's far from a lock to keep up the exact rate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)

I agree. He could hit 8 or 9 more this year, which would make 29 or 30 next year obtainable. I would like to see it happen in a Sox uniform, but I'm not sure it will. JD may be the better choice for a DH next year.

Years cannot be viewed in a vacuum. I'd be looking at the total dollars for his deal and then assuming one maybe two seasons. To use an extreme example to make this point, I'd give Jim a 10 year deal, but at $1,000,000 a year, then assume I was signing him for 1/$10. Same with Dye, two years max.

If KW offered Thome a one-year deal with a team option for 2011, I think that would be ideal. If Thome doesn't get to #600 next year and they think that the combination of his general production and the ticket sales for #600 would be worth picking up the option, they could pick it up. If not, they can move on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
You hope so. Dye makes absolutely no sense going forward. He will be gone from this organization.

If Thome looks for a 3 year deal, I imagine I will literally s*** roses, full bloom, and I'll sell them for $150 dollars a piece. Because if a rose comes out an ass full bloom, you have to imagine it's worth atleast $150, right?

Other than standing on the other side of the plate, what exactly does Jim Thome bring to this current ChiSox team that Dye doesn't bring as well, and at a younger age? The OBP can be argued for sure, but other than that, I don't see a real advantage for Thome over Dye at DH.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Given that he's right at the age where most hitters tend lose bat speed and injuries become more problematic, he's far from a lock to keep up the exact rate.

Keep in mind what he has done in August and September over the last few years...do you remember when he was chasing 500 in 07'? Then he went crazy and hit about 10 bombs in the last month and a half alone.

I wouldn't count Jimmy out from ending up with another 32 homer season. He tends to go off around this time of year...

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
Other than standing on the other side of the plate, what exactly does Jim Thome bring to this current ChiSox team that Dye doesn't bring as well, and at a younger age? The OBP can be argued for sure, but other than that, I don't see a real advantage for Thome over Dye at DH.

Just what you said...he will break up the relievers on other teams by batting lefty. What does Dye bring that Thome doesn't?

My guess is Thome would sign for less as well.