Blame it on Rios

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Dye *WAS* a good fielder. He isn't anymore. Please understand that.

How many times have we seen him catching a lazy fly ball flat-footed when someone is tagging at 3rd? That's little league fundamentals that he's not exhibiting.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
Hank Blalock is a power hitting lefty thats a FA this offseason. He' plays third which in theory would allow Bacon back to the middle IF and we could keep Dye.

If we hadn't just committed over $60 million to Rios, I think that Blalock would be a possibility. But it may be tough now. Then again, if the Sox unload Dye, Thome, and Jenks in the off-season... well, you never know with Kenny.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
If we hadn't just committed over $60 million to Rios, I think that Blalock would be a possibility. But it may be tough now. Then again, if the Sox unload Dye, Thome, and Jenks in the off-season... well, you never know with Kenny.

Its very possible that KW will say goodbye to both and go and get a player like Blaylock to play 1B/DH/3B or could finally get his guy in either Carl Crawford or Chone Figgins to replace them. CQ could end up DH'ing part time to try and keep him healthy for the whole season.

So, I just read how on June 4, 2009 Alex Rios went 0-5 against the Angels with 5 Ks. At a charity event not so much later, he refused to sign autographs because he went 0-5 with the 5 Ks. Upon leaving, one man calls him a bum over and over. Here is the video:

. Since this happened though, Rios has publicly apologized.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Its very possible that KW will say goodbye to both and go and get a player like Blaylock to play 1B/DH/3B or could finally get his guy in either Carl Crawford or Chone Figgins to replace them. CQ could end up DH'ing part time to try and keep him healthy for the whole season.

Holy s***, imagine that scenario? I thought just getting Rios would be perfect, but Crawford would make it the most perfect offense we could believably get. He'd take over LF (so he wouldn't have to convert to CF), and he'd lead off. That offense would be incredible.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
Holy s***, imagine that scenario? I thought just getting Rios would be perfect, but Crawford would make it the most perfect offense we could believably get. He'd take over LF (so he wouldn't have to convert to CF), and he'd lead off. That offense would be incredible.

Indeed

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)

Hopefully we've got a shot of developing our own version of a Crawford with one of our draft picks from the last 2 years.

I just realized, how is taking on the Rios/Peavy money going to affect how we spend on the draft in the next few years? I don't want any more low-upside college arms (Broadway, McCulloch) because we have to budget more carefully in the upcoming drafts...

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
I don't see why the Rays would let go of Crawford. They have a team option for around 10 million for him. If for some reason they don't take that option, he will get a buttload of cash from some other team. He is having a career year.

There has been a lot of speculation that the Rays will exercise the option and trade him in the offseason for a return. That would give us one year of Crawford and the opportunity to let Danks or Mitchell slide into that role the following year.

QUOTE (suicidesqueeze @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
This idea I like; that lineup would be solid throughout, with Blalock at 3rd and Becks at 2nd

The only issue I have with that is you would only have two LH bats in the everyday lineup in AJ and Blalock. Maybe that isn't as big of an issue as I make it out to be, but that is an extremely right handed lineup.

I'm getting tired of watching Dye hit into double plays. He's obviously in a slump, and I'm trying to remember everything good he's done. But, damn, maybe he needs to sit a game or two. I hope that his slump won't be magnified by the acquisition of Rios.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
I'm getting tired of watching Dye hit into double plays. He's obviously in a slump, and I'm trying to remember everything good he's done. But, damn, maybe he needs to sit a game or two. I hope that his slump won't be magnified by the acquisition of Rios.

As of late he's been absent minded in the outfield, too. And I'm not talking about his mediocre defense, I'm talking about his recent string of botching EASY plays. Take the Angels game for example, the line drive he put his glove up and just missed...only it took him a few seconds to realize he missed it...he needs a rest because it's getting worse and worse and that wasn't the first time in the last few weeks I witnessed him do something like that.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
I don't see why the Rays would let go of Crawford. They have a team option for around 10 million for him. If for some reason they don't take that option, he will get a buttload of cash from some other team. He is having a career year.

The Rays are going to take that option and likely trade him this winter. The question is, how much will you be willing to give up for 1 year of a great player?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
As of late he's been absent minded in the outfield, too. And I'm not talking about his mediocre defense, I'm talking about his recent string of botching EASY plays. Take the Angels game for example, the line drive he put his glove up and just missed...only it took him a few seconds to realize he missed it...he needs a rest because it's getting worse and worse and that wasn't the first time in the last few weeks I witnessed him do something like that.

I too have been wondering if there might be something wrong with J. D. There was another recent game where he thought that there were 2 outs, and started to jog in with the ball, after making the catch. Meanwhile, the base runner tagged up and advanced easily.