Blame it on Rios

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than standing on the other side of the plate, what exactly does Jim Thome bring to this current ChiSox team that Dye doesn't bring as well, and at a younger age? The OBP can be argued for sure, but other than that, I don't see a real advantage for Thome over Dye at DH.

Dye should come back for a 2 year deal, with a team option on the 2nd year. Maybe $9 mil per would seem to be a good fit. He can still play outfield for maybe 30 or 40 games, and be the main DH for the remainder. Although he is getting old, I feel that playing RF every day is the main reason for his finishing like a dog last year down the stretch and the current slump he's in this year. He's just too old to play RF everyday, plain and simple.

Thome is a great guy, HOF, etc...but a one trick pony. We have been extremely lucky that he hasn't broken down at some point during his tenure here for an extended stop on the DL, and he's only getting older. You can't play him in the field for even a single game. For those reasons I say they should keep JD and let Thome walk.

QUOTE (suicidesqueeze @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:35 AM)
Dye should come back for a 2 year deal, with a team option on the 2nd year. Maybe $9 mil per would seem to be a good fit. He can still play outfield for maybe 30 or 40 games, and be the main DH for the remainder. Although he is getting old, I feel that playing RF every day is the main reason for his finishing like a dog last year down the stretch and the current slump he's in this year. He's just too old to play RF everyday, plain and simple.

Thome is a great guy, HOF, etc...but a one trick pony. We have been extremely lucky that he hasn't broken down at some point during his tenure here for an extended stop on the DL, and he's only getting older. You can't play him in the field for even a single game. For those reasons I say they should keep JD and let Thome walk.

Welcome to the board!

I agree with your first graf, and an argument can be made for Dye being the better option. But Thome has two tricks - OBP and power - and he is very good at both.

The bigger problem is, in 2010, if we do as most would assume we did, and let Wise go away forever, Kotsay most likely gone and who knows with Pods....we have a serious, SERIOUS lack of options with respect to mixing up the batting order, much less late inning Lefty PHers.

The more and more I think about it, the more and more it seems like Thome may have t obe back as DH. There really is a shrinking role for Dye on this team as each move is made.

If JD decides to take pretty significant pay cut i'll take him over Thome for sure. The advantage we have with Thome is that he'll likely accept a super low salary $3-5 million just to end his career here and reach that 600 HR plateau.

It will be a tough decision for KW to make. Do we want a long term DH with Dye for like 3 years or do we sign Thome to a 1 year deal giving KW more flexibility financially. .

I'm leaning towards preferring to sign Thome to a 1 year, sub-$6M deal. We need that power bat, we need the lefty bat, and he's going to be a big fan draw as he approaches 600 HR.

But you don't necessarily have to not sign both. Pods is not likely to be the same guy next year - this has been an amazing comeback for him, but it seems hard to believe he can do it again in 2010. And TCQ is a health risk. You may see Dye AND Thome back next year, potentially.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Thome's currently 38 HRs away. Given his age and propensity for nagging injuries, it's likely that he's not going to get there until early 2011. Kenny shouldn't give him a two-year deal to ensure that he hits #600 in a Sox uniform.

Hell, I'm not convinced that Dye's health can be counted on for three more years. I'm thinking a one-year deal for Thome or a two-year deal for Dye, maximum.

You don't think Thome can hit 38 home runs in the next year and two months?

He's probably going to hit around 30 this year. So he'd have to hit 28 home runs next year. Very doable if you ask me.

Welcome to the board!

I agree with your first graf, and an argument can be made for Dye being the better option. But Thome has two tricks - OBP and power - and he is very good at both.

Thanks for the welcoming, long time lurker who felt the need to join the discussion..finally.

You are correct, Thome's power and OBP are fantastic, no argument there. I just think moving forward that the bigger gamble is thinking Thome will remain healthy, and if he goes down we got nothin for a DH. Dye has the better odds to stay healthy moving forward, and he can still rake it pretty good. The gamble with my theory of keeping JD over Thome would seem to be that by moving him to primarily the DH role he will remain fresher than he has been the past 2 seasons after the break.

Either guy is a gamble of sorts, but I'll play the JD odds over the Thome odds on this one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm leaning towards preferring to sign Thome to a 1 year, sub-$6M deal. We need that power bat, we need the lefty bat, and he's going to be a big fan draw as he approaches 600 HR.

But you don't necessarily have to not sign both. Pods is not likely to be the same guy next year - this has been an amazing comeback for him, but it seems hard to believe he can do it again in 2010. And TCQ is a health risk. You may see Dye AND Thome back next year, potentially.

Let's just say that it's a nice situation to have where we're deciding which of a likely HOF lefty power bat versus a world series MVP and perennial all-star RF we have to let go. And like you say, we could always say byebye to Pods. In my mind, he's the least likely to replicate 2009 in 2010, so it makes the most sense to me.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
Dye stated that ideally he wants to play RF for two more years, then move to 1B to end his career.

Dye's defense is to the point where he really shouldn't be out there, and if he hits the FA market this offseason, teams are going to know that.

Another thing we need to consider is positioning the OF. Left field is the easiest OF spot to play- and honestly Quentin isn't the best fielder out there. So to me Quentin should be in LF. That leaves RF open. Is it possibly that Dye AND Thome return to sigificantly less pay? Thome signs a 1 year deal and Dye signs a 3 year deal, meaning he'll play RF for 2010 then move to DH in 2011? Who will lead off then? KW has a lot of thinking to do. .

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I also don't want to see 2006 relived. You know where Dye, Thome and others decided to stop hitting in August and September.

Sqwert?! Come on they didn't "decide" to quit hitting. The professionalism and talent of people like Dye and Konerko and Thome are things you can't put money on. We wouldn't be where we are at all without those guys. My guess and hope is we sign Dye and Konerko and maybe Thome too, but Rios' contract will be paid for by the release or trade of someone like Contreras and even though I might not like it - Thome. There will be plenty of playing time for Dye-Rios-Pods-Konerko and Quentin

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
Somebody should tell JD that he's too damn slow to play the OF. He should know himself.

Even a hobbled Carlos Quentin is faster than he is.

Dye is a very good fielder with a good strong arm

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm just wondering if he's been watching Jermaine Dupree in celebrity soft ball tournaments or something because Jermaine Dye right now is not a "very good fielder".

We just had this exercise with Greg in the other thread.

Let's not go there.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
Keep in mind that Thome turns 39 in two weeks. His production is going to hit the wall a lot faster than JD's.

The 600 HR pursuit is irrelevant. The strongest arguments for keeping Thome over Dye would be the fact that Thome would probably accept a one-year deal (Dye would likely want a multi-year deal) and the left-handed power bat (which is basically a Band-Aid, as the Sox need a younger left-handed bat for the long term). If Kenny keeps Thome over Dye, it's going to be mostly for financial flexibility.

This is wishlist stuff, but what about trading for Adam Dunn to be that LH power bat?