Blame it on Rios

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
I just realized, how is taking on the Rios/Peavy money going to affect how we spend on the draft in the next few years? I don't want any more low-upside college arms (Broadway, McCulloch) because we have to budget more carefully in the upcoming drafts...

I don't think it will affect it much.

I think those low-upside arms was more of poor scouting then it was being overly cheap. Just because we didn't take the Rick Porcello's of the world when they fell to us doesn't mean it was all about money in these drafts for us.

It would have been nice to have properly scouted and pinpointed the Joba Chamberlains, Brett Andersons, Chris Tillmans and Trevor Cahills the year we took McCulloch. There were some others we missed on that year but those are most notible and it happens frequently in baseball. The baseball draft is hard enough and hit or miss enough where having poor scouting and being slightly cheap doesnt help.

I think those contracts may effect us being able to land another Porcello if he falls again but our drafts will be much better and I feel like we budget accordingly for that. Plus we have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years and barring trades - we have some very cheap talent replacing those men.

So I'd say minimal affect. If anything they'll just effect what position on the field we draft and where in the order of the draft (30th hopefully).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O' RLY? Cuz Jermaine's Dye slowly deteriorating reaction time/batspeed/poise that has basically rendered him useless against good pitching in late innings......... and his horrible defense.....................neither confuse nor excite me.

Methinks Jermaine needs that "decaf" coffee and a few flinstone vitamens.