KW "ruffled feathers"

Princess Dye

This interview has been talked about in other threads, but I think it deserves its own.

I personally love this kind of talk from management. Do you guys think it's a good thing? He pretty much threatens the players in this interview, about 2/3 through the tape.

It might not gel with players' egos, but it's so brutally honest - you just have to love it as a fan.

here's the audio:

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_wind...audioId=3941364

Kenny was asked if he's worried about any of the OFs/DHs having their feathers ruffled by this move, b/c of their playing time being cut.

Kenny said that the team's recent play "ruffles HIS feathers" and that the players should be concerned with ruffling management's feathers, not the other way around.

Lots of feather talk.

He then followed it up by saying that the way we've been playing, it leads to people being shipped out of town.

I loved this for no other reason than the fact that the exact guys who've been poor outfielders are the ones who said even a little something to the media about this move. They were not out of line in their comments but it was still nice to see KW's guns-blazing response.

I think Dye has been through this exact scenario before where he feels unwanted and then they bring him back. Thome seems like an all-around positive dude. I think Pods probably feels nervous because he's already been out of the league and he doesnt have the pop the other guys have. If Rios were to get OBP up he could lead off.

But yea, KW is apparently not worried about telling his players to man-up. In the NBA this sort of talk is impossible from the heads, entire freaking teams just tune you out. Here, not so. One thing there to like about MLB.

Edited by Princess Dye

Thanks for posting what he said...I can't listen at work either.

It is nice to see KW talk like this. I would hope that Dye isn't whining about potentially not getting as much playing time. His lack of offense and suddenly worse defense should lead to a few games riding the bench. I agree that Thome and Pods would be more positive about it. You might even see Pods explode offensively as he turns it on to prove his worth.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
But yea, KW is apparently not worried about telling his players to man-up. In the NBA this sort of talk is impossible from the heads, entire freaking teams just tune you out. Here, not so. One thing there to like about MLB.

Yet another reason the love our GM, IMO.

Even the haters gotta admit that he's a unique guy, and not risk-averse.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
if you dont want your playing time cut perform like you should

a f***ing men Jermaine

(btw, I've told enough by now, but Quentin should be batting 3 within the next 3 games, and it should be for the rest of the season)

Kenny sees what we fans see-an offense that is underachieving and a defense that has been horrible. Rios helps out on both fronts. If guys are b****ing and moaning, they should look hard and fast in the mirror, and ask themselves: Are they part of the problem or part of the solution?

The way I look at it, only PK and AJ have been solid both at the plate and in the field. Everyone else can step it up and improve in one area or the other. Now, JD can't improve his old legs in the field. He just needs more rest and more time at the DH spot.

a f***ing men Jermaine

I'm trying to figure out what turned Dye into such an unpopular player on this board. I'm hoping it's just because of peoples dislike for me on this board and I'm a huge Dye supporter. Aside from that, I for the life of me can't believe the Dye hatred I've seen lately. It's unexplainable. Paulie last year and Dye this year. Wow.

I'm trying to figure out what turned Dye into such an unpopular player on this board. I'm hoping it's just because of peoples dislike for me on this board and I'm a huge Dye supporter. Aside from that, I for the life of me can't believe the Dye hatred I've seen lately. It's unexplainable. Paulie last year and Dye this year. Wow.

His diminishing skills.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)

I've always been a big JD fan and I appreciate him saying that he wants to retire as a White Sock (and would love to see this happen somehow), but telling this to the media the day that Kenny acquires Rios reeks of ulterior motivation. Express your concerns to Kenny, not the media.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)

People don't hate Dye, sheesh. People didn't hate Crede either. Why do you do this? Every time people criticize the play of someone you like you think it's something personal and you go over the top with it? It's like clockwork. Next thing that happens is people ridicule you for being over the top and then things just deteriorate from there. On one level it's funny, on another level it's irritating.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I thought Kenny was talking about Contreras ruffling his feathers.

Out of context this quote sounds damning. In the interview, this quote wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was an overall declaration about the state of the team.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
Out of context this quite sounds damning. In the interview, this quote wasn’t directed at anyone in particular. It was an overall declaration about the state of the team.

LOL Well, he said Sundays game ruffled his feathers, and Contreras pitched a lousy one again that day, so I assumed it was meant directly for Contreras. In the interview, he went on to say that the older guys need rest - Dye, Thome, Pods, even Quentin, but Sundays game really got on his nerves. Contreras has to be who he meant.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
Contreras has to be who he meant.

Dye took the collar in that game. I took it as a general shot at the team

This is a can of worms but i'll open it anyway. Our manager and GM are really really open with the media. I think it's great. But one offshoot of this is occasionally the puzzling free agency exit of one of our players. Colon left kind of inexplicably when he was a great player. He seems like the paper-thin ego type. Magglio is another situation, also at his peak.

I love KW but that and the recent poll about managers..... well, I just hope it doesnt cost us in free agency down the line.

Edited by Princess Dye

This interview has been talked about in other threads, but I think it deserves its own.

I personally love this kind of talk from management. Do you guys think it's a good thing? He pretty much threatens the players in this interview, about 2/3 through the tape.

It might not gel with players' egos, but it's so brutally honest - you just have to love it as a fan.

here's the audio:

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_wind...audioId=3941364

KW is doing his job as a GM.

If Dye and Thome don't like it, they could try to, I dunno..... HIT A PITCH THAT'S NOT BP-QUALITY!

Haven't heard anything about Thome complaining and I'd be surprised if he did so publicly. Dye said a couple of things and I think that KW gave the appropriate response. He's basically saying don't forget who you work for. You work for me so you need to worry about making me happy, not the other way around.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
Haven't heard anything about Thome complaining and I'd be surprised if he did so publicly. Dye said a couple of things and I think that KW gave the appropriate response. He's basically saying don't forget who you work for. You work for me so you need to worry about making me happy, not the other way around.

IMHO...I think the Rios claim was great news for Thome if his preference was to return to the South Side next season. With us committing to Rios...our need for a LH bat becomes that much more obvious going into next year.

For the most part, I have no problem with Dye wanting to play.

It's unnatural for a player to hear that theyve added another starter to his filled position....and not care

If he'd went off publicly, I'd have a problem with it. But he barely said anything of consequence, surely nothign we'll remember in a week

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
As long as he pulls out of this slump.

You'd hope at some point somebody on the bench might tell Dye to go the other way with the ball once in a while. He's trying to pull everything and it seems like words out...keep it outside on JD. Not real Rocket Science IMO...