Princess Dye

OF glut issues  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How to handle the glut?

• Pods does not return
    • Dye does not return
    • Thome does not return
    • other more sweeping changes

OK, so now where does this leave us for next year?

2010 payroll will be at what point? Can we guess 90? From my basic, rushed counting..... 39.6 payroll adding Thornton option, Peavy and Rios brings us to $66.6M

After you factor in Jenks, we might be left with 15M to spend on some combo of Pods/Dye/Thome. We're also probably going to need a trustworthy bullpen arm, I would think.

If they get a bargain reliever in here instead of Jenks, they actually could give one-years to Pods/Dye/Thome and bring all back. I doubt it happens but it's possible.

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whose our 5th starter? Who will leadoff? If there will only be 15 million left to spend, then to me you have keep Thome because he will be shorter term and cheaper than Dye. If you could get Thome to sign for 5 million- spend the rest of the cash on Figgins. There is no way Figgins will earn more than 10 million/season. Unless a team out there is very stupid.

Another area of concern is our bullpen. Tony Pena has show me nothing so far, Scott Linebrink is regressing at a rapid pace, Jenks appears to be slowing down. The only 2 consistent arms out of the pen this season has been Carassco and Thorton. How come Aardsma figured out how to pitch in Seattle and couldn't do it here?!?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
OK, so now where does this leave us for next year?

2010 payroll will be at what point? Can we guess 90? From my basic, rushed counting..... 39.6 payroll adding Thornton option, Peavy and Rios brings us to $66.6M

After you factor in Jenks, we might be left with 15M to spend on some combo of Pods/Dye/Thome. We're also probably going to need a trustworthy bullpen arm, I would think.

If they get a bargain reliever in here instead of Jenks, they actually could give one-years to Pods/Dye/Thome and bring all back. I doubt it happens but it's possible.

Beckham

Getz

Q

Thome $5-6M

Paulie

Rios

AJ

Missile

Pods another OF

New closer. May or may not be a bargain.

Beckham moves to third in the order when Mitchell arrives, about the time his power should really arrive.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Whose our 5th starter? Who will leadoff? If there will only be 15 million left to spend, then to me you have keep Thome because he will be shorter term and cheaper than Dye. If you could get Thome to sign for 5 million- spend the rest of the cash on Figgins. There is no way Figgins will earn more than 10 million/season. Unless a team out there is very stupid.

Another area of concern is our bullpen. Tony Pena has show me nothing so far, Scott Linebrink is regressing at a rapid pace, Jenks appears to be slowing down. The only 2 consistent arms out of the pen this season has been Carassco and Thorton. How come Aardsma figured out how to pitch in Seattle and couldn't do it here?!?

For our 5th starter I go Dan Hudson. He's cheap and has a lot of upside. Leadoff? Chris Getz. If there's only $15M left to spend, I don't go and spend $10M of it on Figgins when he have a full outfield (if we bring back Dye) and a full infield barring a trade. I think Thome has to come back. We need his LH bat. Use what we have leftover after re-signing Thome and get a solid reliever or two.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Just say no to Pods. With Rios in CF and Quentin in LF, there's no room for Pods. He's going to get 3-5 million this offseason, and with his mediocre defense and bad base running, he's just not worth that.

Are there better options for us? If we shift CQ to RF, someone has to be in LF, and no one we have is ready. Pods at least gives us a semi-speedy option to pair with Rios and Beckham on the basepads.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Are there better options for us? If we shift CQ to RF, someone has to be in LF, and no one we have is ready. Pods at least gives us a semi-speedy option to pair with Rios and Beckham on the basepads.

It wouldn't surprise me to see KW try and trade Linebrink's bad contract for Juan Pierre's bad contract this offseason and put Pierre in LF

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Getz doesn't get on base enough to be at the top of the order. He's likely going to be our worst offensive player, so why get him more at bats than everyone else?

I'm expecting some improvement from him, obviously, and I think he's best suited to advancing the runner behind Slayer's league-leading number of doubles next year. That's the way Ozzie likes to play - get that 1-0 lead in the first inning.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)

AND gives us a leadoff hitter, something we still do not have even with Rios.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
I'm expecting some improvement from him, obviously, and I think he's best suited to advancing the runner behind Slayer's league-leading number of doubles next year. That's the way Ozzie likes to play - get that 1-0 lead in the first inning.

Getz needs to learn how to draw a walk. I mentioned this last night....4 walks in his last 28 starts.

Getz doesn't get on base enough to be at the top of the order. He's likely going to be our worst offensive player, so why get him more at bats than everyone else?

What he said.

Getz should either be in the 2 hole next yr, or at the bottom of the lineup again. Despite his average-ness at the plate, once the lineup turns over within a game he is a nice table setter along with Pods (or whomever it is that ends up leading off for us in 2010), and a much better base stealer as well.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
For our 5th starter I go Dan Hudson. He's cheap and has a lot of upside. Leadoff? Chris Getz. If there's only $15M left to spend, I don't go and spend $10M of it on Figgins when he have a full outfield (if we bring back Dye) and a full infield barring a trade. I think Thome has to come back. We need his LH bat. Use what we have leftover after re-signing Thome and get a solid reliever or two.

Hudson may or may not be ready to start ST next year, but I think between him, Torres, and the other guys that keep coming up and surprising us, we'll be able to pull off at least 1 serviceable 5th starter by the middle of next year. Before then? Anyone's guess, but I'd bet we'll try something like we did this year; give a veteran (good shot its Garcia) a shot for a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
AND gives us a leadoff hitter, something we still do not have even with Rios.

Rios with his doubles ability now going to a division with less pitching....plus somewhat better hitters park..... He could be an atypical but effective leadoff hitter.

Also probably going to steal more bases and leg out more triples than the then-34-yearold Pods

People wanted Coco Crisp, but Rios' speed and OBP in the years 06-08 would cut it in the leadoff spot.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
Whats the current status of Pierre's bad contract?

Pierre will earn $7.5 million next season, $8 million in 2008, $10 million each in 2009 and 2010, and $8.5 million in 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2672676

Interesting that it's descending from this point on, and also surprised to learn Pierre is three days away from being 32. Thought he might be slightly younger.

I really do think that last Thome or Dye spot will be replaced (whether in '10 or '11) by a power hitter.

Edited by Princess Dye

The face of 2010 has been largely drawn in the past few weeks. However, there are still holes or at least concerns. I think what happens down the stretch will factor much into what other changes the team goes through before next year.

The biggest question mark right now is probably OF. I'd be happy (or at least content) with an OF of Pods, Rios, and TCQ for 2010, but not beyond. 2011 should be the year of Danks II or Mitchell.

Then what do we do about the DH? Dye or Thome? Thome's left handed bat may be a better weapon, but Dye has the advantage in age.

A rotation of Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, and Danks makes us all giddy. But, who is the fifth starter? I'm not sure we go out and get another starter. More than likely it's someone from within. Hudson or maybe even Carrasco.

I'm not thinking much happens in the off season other than a bullpen arm. So, my prediction:

1 - Konerko

2 - Getz

3 - Beckham

SS - Alexei

LF - Pods

CF - Rios

RF - TCQ

C - AJ

DH - Thome

Buehrle

Peavy

Floyd

Danks

Carrasco

Dye, Jenks, Linebrink, Wise are all gone.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Beckham

Getz

Q

Thome $5-6M

Paulie

Rios

AJ

Missile

Pods another OF

New closer. May or may not be a bargain.

Beckham moves to third in the order when Mitchell arrives, about the time his power should really arrive.

1) Mitchell wont be here until 2011 from what I have read.

2) I dont see a scenario where Thome comes back instead of Dye. The Sox need some flexibility in that lineup. Thome is a one "position" player. Dye can DH, play LF, or play 1st.

3) Beckham is better served batting 2nd or 3rd.

1) Pods (CF/LF/DH... yes.... DH)

2) Beckham (3B)

3) Rios (CF/DH)

4) Quintin (LF/RF/DH)

5) Dye (RF/DH)

6) Konerko (1B)

7) ARam (SS)

8) AJ (Cathcer)

9) Getz (2B)

Note 1: 3-6 can be organized as Ozzie sees fit.

Note 2: If you have CQ, Rios, and Dye in the outfield, I would absolute think outside the box and DH Pods. Get his glove off the field, but keep his bat in the line-up.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
So, my prediction:

1 - Konerko

2 - Getz

3 - Beckham

SS - Alexei

LF - Pods

CF - Rios

RF - TCQ

C - AJ

DH - Thome

Replace Thome with Dye and I agree completely.

I know people have a soft spot for Thome, but while Dye may cost more $$$, he's a better all around hitter.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)
Pierre will earn $7.5 million next season, $8 million in 2008, $10 million each in 2009 and 2010, and $8.5 million in 2011.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2672676

Interesting that it's descending from this point on, and also surprised to learn Pierre is three days away from being 32. Thought he might be slightly younger.

I really do think that last Thome or Dye spot will be replaced (whether in '10 or '11) by a power hitter.

Thanks for those Pierre #'s. I guess if you could swap bad contracts i would do it. However, is Pierre that much better than what Pods has given us? As far as the 5th starter goes. . I would like KW to go out and get a young starter via trade. We have enough depth in the farm to make a deal for a guy like Zach Duke, Ross Ohlendorf, Johnny Cueto or Homer Bailey. Why not add to our strength which is the starting pitching. .