Princess Dye

OF glut issues  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How to handle the glut?

• Pods does not return
    • Dye does not return
    • Thome does not return
    • other more sweeping changes

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Just say no to Pods. With Rios in CF and Quentin in LF, there's no room for Pods. He's going to get 3-5 million this offseason, and with his mediocre defense and bad base running, he's just not worth that.

bad base STEALING, yes. But as for getting on base with his speed, taking extra bases, tagging, etc., he's actually still a plus baserunner in my view.

But in general I agree, he probably has no place on the 2010 team, though you never know what changes may occur in the plan for KW.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had $15mil to spend I would offer Abreu $9 and Winn $3, then spend the rest on relief pitching.

RF Winn

3B Beckham

DH Abreu

LF Quentin

1B Konerko

CA Pierzynski

CF Rios

SS Ramirez

2B Getz

That's 4-6 possible .300 hitters, more speed and more consistency.

Replace Thome with Dye and I agree completely.

I know people have a soft spot for Thome, but while Dye may cost more $$$, he's a better all around hitter.

Thats a lot coming from a thome boy

I agree, although if Thome is ridiculously cheap due to good teams already having a DH.... and the fact that he can chase 600 in a HR-friendly park (while close to Peoria)

Then maybe enough stars align for the Sox to take him and they can spend the savings elsewhere

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Just say no to Pods. With Rios in CF and Quentin in LF, there's no room for Pods. He's going to get 3-5 million this offseason, and with his mediocre defense and bad base running, he's just not worth that.

^^^ this exactly. Also as much as pods helped the team thus far this year....does anyone really think he's likely to repeat what he did?

I have an idea. Be prepared to rip it to pieces.

Let Thome, Dye, and Pods walk. Trade for Casey Kotchman and stick him at 1B, move PK to DH, and have an OF of Figgins/Rios/Quentin (in whatever order).

Figgins LF/CF

Rios LF/CF

Beckham 3B

Kotchman 1B

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Quentin RF

Ramirez SS

Getz 2B

Or like fathom said, trade for Pierre, though I'm not too fond of his huge deal.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Thats a lot coming from a thome boy

I agree, although if Thome is ridiculously cheap due to good teams already having a DH.... and the fact that he can chase 600 in a HR-friendly park (while close to Peoria)

Then maybe enough stars align for the Sox to take him and they can spend the savings elsewhere

The Sox are in a possition right now where they may be better off signing Pods and Thome to 1 year deals and letting Dye walk. With guys like Jared Mitchell, Jordan Danks, Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo waiting in the wings. If they do that you'll have Thome, Pods, AJ and Konerko coming off the books. THe only player out of that list i see coming back is Konerko.

I'm hoping Viciedo will be ready for next season. If that happens we could perhaps center a package around Chris Getz for a young starter such as Zach Duke.

I wouldn't mind this at all:

Pods LF *

Beckham SS

Rios CF

Thome DH *

Konerko 1B *

Quentin RF

Pierzynski C*

Ramirez 2B

Viciedo 3B

*= last year of deal.

Peavy, Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Duke= WOW!!!

I have an idea. Be prepared to rip it to pieces.

Let Thome, Dye, and Pods walk. Trade for Casey Kotchman and stick him at 1B, move PK to DH, and have an OF of Figgins/Rios/Quentin (in whatever order).

Hey the outside the box thinking is eventually what KW will do, one way or another.

By 2011 we wont recognize two of our 3-4-5 hitters somehow

Edited by Princess Dye

First thing i would do if i was KW in the offseason is the following.

Buy out Dye and offer ARB, chances are he turns it down and goes for one more multi year deal before calling it a career and if not no Harm no Foul.

Off ARB to Dotel, the market for relivers this year looks to be thin, if he accepts we keep depth in our bullpen and if not we get potential picks.

Sign Jim Thome to a one year deal with a club option for '11 4m for each year with incentives to make it up to 12m with a 500 or 800k buy out

If Dye Declines and Bobby Abreu hits the market offer him a two year deal similar to Thomes, If Dye declines and Abreu isn't available offer podsednik a 1 year deal as a stop gap for Danks/Mitchell.

Keep AJ and Jenks unless you can get a good return on them.

Ideal Line up.

2010                                   2011                                2012
L Abreu LF/RF                    L Getz 2B                        L Getz OF
R Rios CF                           R Rios CF                        R Rios OF 
R Beckham 3B                    R Beckham 3B                R Beckham 3B
R Quentin RF/LF                 R Quentin RF/LF              R Quentin DH
L Thome DH                       L Abreu DH                     L Danks OF
R Konerko 1B                     R Flowers C                     R Flowers C
L Pierzynski C                     R Viciedo 1B                   R Viciedo 1B 
R Ramirez SS                     R Ramirez SS                  R Ramirez SS
L Getz 2B                           L Danks RF/LF                 L Mitchell OF

SP Buehrle

SP Peavy

SP Floyd

SP Danks

SP Hudson

CL Jenks

SU Thornton

SU Pena

MR Linebrink

MR Nunez/Torres

LO ?

LR Carrasco

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
First thing i would do if i was KW in the offseason is the following.

Buy out Dye and offer ARB, chances are he turns it down and goes for one more multi year deal before calling it a career and if not no Harm no Foul.

Off ARB to Dotel, the market for relivers this year looks to be thin, if he accepts we keep depth in our bullpen and if not we get potential picks.

Sign Jim Thome to a one year deal with a club option for '11 4m for each year with incentives to make it up to 12m with a 500 or 800k buy out

If Dye Declines and Bobby Abreu hits the market offer him a two year deal similar to Thomes, If Dye declines and Abreu isn't available offer podsednik a 1 year deal as a stop gap for Danks/Mitchell.

Keep AJ and Jenks unless you can get a good return on them.

Ideal Line up.

2010                                   2011                                2012
L Abreu LF/RF                    L Getz 2B                        L Getz OF
R Rios CF                           R Rios CF                        R Rios OF 
R Beckham 3B                    R Beckham 3B                R Beckham 3B
R Quentin RF/LF                 R Quentin RF/LF              R Quentin DH
L Thome DH                       L Abreu DH                     L Danks OF
R Konerko 1B                     R Flowers C                     R Flowers C
L Pierzynski C                     R Viciedo 1B                   R Viciedo 1B 
R Ramirez SS                     R Ramirez SS                  R Ramirez SS
L Getz 2B                           L Danks RF/LF                 L Mitchell OF

SP Buehrle

SP Peavy

SP Floyd

SP Danks

SP Hudson

CL Jenks

SU Thornton

SU Pena

MR Linebrink

MR Nunez/Torres

LO ?

LR Carrasco

We have no 2B in 2012, FYI. Why does Danks become a middle-of-the-order guy? He doesn't have much power. IMO, Getz will never bat lead off over Mitchell or Danks. Mitchell and Danks will probably both have higher OBP than Getz at the ML level.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Konerko moved and Dye re-signed at a cheaper rate to play 1b. Send him in a package to SF for Sanchez and Brian Wilson. Sanchez could be either a candidate for the 5th starter or a bullpen arm. Wilson could either allow the Sox to move Jenks or have a lights outs 7-8-9 combo of Thornton, Wilson, Jenks. Konerko's freed up money could be used for Figgins. As for Thome, i think they'll bring him back at a reduced rate as well but i'd rather have Hank Blalock assuming the LH power hitter role. But i can't see KW signing Figgins and Blalock. I think it will be one of those two though. As far as the #5 starter spot goes, Freddy Garcia or another veteran (Duscherer) could be used to fill that spot until Hudson is ready. My lineup for 2010:

LF-Figgins

3B-Beckham

CF-Rios

DH-Thome

1B-Dye

RF-Quentin

C-AJ

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

bench-Flowers, Nix, Wise, Kotsay

SP-Peavy

SP-Buehrle

SP-Floyd

SP-Danks

SP-Duscherer

RP-Linebrink

RP-Sanchez

RP-Pena

RP-Nunez

RP-Thornton

RP-Wilson

CL-Jenks

This is what I would go for in the offseason...

2B Beckham

CF Rios

RF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

3B Blalock

SS Ramirez

C AJ

LF Pods

I would resign Pods since he would probably be relatively cheap.. If he can't repeat his solid average and OBP (which he most likely won't), i would stick him lower in the order. He would be a decent enough player to have, considering he will be cheap.

With a near .900 OSP, Jim Thome is one of our best offensive weapons. i would bring him back. Always nice to have a power lefty. Plus he would have a chance at 600 homeruns. This would sell a good amount of tickets and make some good publicity.

Hank Blalock, now this guy is the wild card. He has been suffering injuries the past few years. When he is healthy, he is a good power lefty. Two powerful lefties makes me cum (and it probably makes ozzie cum too). This is assuming he doesnt have any bad injuries though. After all, we have a miracle worker on our staff. Herm is the greatest.

This is what I imagine the lineup looking like

2B Beckham

CF Rios

RF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

3B Blalock

SS Ramirez

C AJ

LF Pods

A solid mix of lefties and righties. I think this lineup would great.

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Konerko moved and Dye re-signed at a cheaper rate to play 1b. Send him in a package to SF for Sanchez and Brian Wilson. Sanchez could be either a candidate for the 5th starter or a bullpen arm. Wilson could either allow the Sox to move Jenks or have a lights outs 7-8-9 combo of Thornton, Wilson, Jenks. Konerko's freed up money could be used for Figgins. As for Thome, i think they'll bring him back at a reduced rate as well but i'd rather have Hank Blalock assuming the LH power hitter role. But i can't see KW signing Figgins and Blalock. I think it will be one of those two though. As far as the #5 starter spot goes, Freddy Garcia or another veteran (Duscherer) could be used to fill that spot until Hudson is ready. My lineup for 2010:

LF-Figgins

3B-Beckham

CF-Rios

DH-Thome

1B-Dye

RF-Quentin

C-AJ

SS-Ramirez

2B-Getz

bench-Flowers, Nix, Wise, Kotsay

SP-Peavy

SP-Buehrle

SP-Floyd

SP-Danks

SP-Duscherer

RP-Linebrink

RP-Sanchez

RP-Pena

RP-Nunez

RP-Thornton

RP-Wilson

CL-Jenks

If Flowers is in the Bigs, he won't be riding the bench.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Thats not the lineup. I just put the players according to what position they will play. The lineup is lower in my post.

Looks like someone has quick fingers on replies. :P I figured it out when I read it further.

Edited by SoxAce