Princess Dye

OF glut issues  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How to handle the glut?

• Pods does not return
    • Dye does not return
    • Thome does not return
    • other more sweeping changes

QUOTE (chisoxpride2 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
If you could somehow add a player similar to the likes of chone figgins... sexy kinda

Why not Figgins himself? He's a free agent this off season.

3B Figgins

2B Beckham

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

LF CQ

CF Rios

C AJ

SS Alexei

The biggest problem I can see is that it might be too expensive, though you could always replace Thome or Dye with someone cheaper.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Thats not the lineup. I just put the players according to what position they will play. The lineup is lower in my post.

Stephen A. is a god among men in the sports analyst business.

Where has Stephen A. been lately?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
It wouldn't surprise me to see KW try and trade Linebrink's bad contract for Juan Pierre's bad contract this offseason and put Pierre in LF

Interesting thought...I like the idea.

I cannot imagine us trading those contracts at face value, so my guess is LA would have to include about $7 million back, or else they would have to give us a few prospects that we like. No one lights out, but perhaps some high-ceiling A-ballers we really like...

QUOTE (Jeremy @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
Why not Figgins himself? He's a free agent this off season.

3B Figgins

2B Beckham

RF Dye

DH Thome

1B Konerko

LF CQ

CF Rios

C AJ

SS Alexei

The biggest problem I can see is that it might be too expensive, though you could always replace Thome or Dye with someone cheaper.

Perhaps:

3B Figgins

2B Beckham

DH Thome OR Dye (whichever is a better value)

1B Konerko

RF CQ

C AJ

CF Rios

SS Alexei

LF Podsednik

Or how about Orlando Hudson for 2B, leaving Beckham at third? Sadly, I imagine Figgins will be extremely expensive on the free agent market.

I think most likely Getz will be starting at second base next year, though, particularly with so much spending already.

Edited by IITsox

I'd be in favor of re-signing Thome over Dye, because Thome is a better run producer...Dye is the better hitter though, but this is thinking into 2011.

Thome would likely sign a one year deal, and retire when he gets 600, and be cheaper.

Dye would command more money and would most likely want at least a two year deal, but I think the plan as of right now is to have Konerko DH and Viciedo play 1B in 2011, so that wouldn't work for Dye or Paulie, and I take Paulie in that instance.

Re-sign Pods, since D2 or Mitchell will take at least one more year to develop.

Re-sign Dotel, since he is a bullpen strength.

Call up Hudson to be the #5 starter.

Keep Jenks, since he has been a consistent and good closer.

Bring back Kotsay, since he gives a lot of flexibility*.

Lineup for 2010:

1. Podsednik, LF

2. Beckham, 3B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. AJ, C

6. Quentin, RF

7. Rios, CF

8. Ramirez, SS

9. Getz 2B

Bench:

Nix, 2B/SS

Kotsay, 3B/1B/OF*

Flowers, C+

D2, OF^

Rotation:

1. Buehrle

2. Peavy

3. Danks

4. Floyd

5. Hudson

Bullpen:

Jenks

Thornton

Dotel

Linebrink

Carrasco

Pena

Torres&

*= I doubt Kotsay would want to be a bench player, since he has historically been a starter. So if he doesn't reisgn, the bench adds Viciedo to backup 1B/3B.

+= I wouldn't mind easing Flowers into the MLB, because not everyone is Slayer. AJ could possibly teach him a few things to make him a better catcher (Jake Taylor and Rube Baker all over again?), and this way he could learn the pitching staff before becoming the everyday catcher.

^= Instead of D2, I'd love to see Dye back, and rotate with Quentin and Thome between RF and DH. It most likely wouldn't happen, but they'd all get rest and stay healthy, but I doubt it. D2 could (like Flowers) ease his way into the MLB, and I think he is ahead of Mitchell as of right now.

&=Pipe dream, trade Fields for Poreda. Put Poreda in the pen and have Coop help him develop more pitches. Perhaps he could fill in at #5 if Hudson didn't work out.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:41 AM)
I'd be in favor of re-signing Thome over Dye, because Thome is a better run producer...Dye is the better hitter though, but this is thinking into 2011.

Thome would likely sign a one year deal, and retire when he gets 600, and be cheaper.

Dye would command more money and would most likely want at least a two year deal, but I think the plan as of right now is to have Konerko DH and Viciedo play 1B in 2011, so that wouldn't work for Dye or Paulie, and I take Paulie in that instance.

Re-sign Pods, since D2 or Mitchell will take at least one more year to develop.

Re-sign Dotel, since he is a bullpen strength.

Call up Hudson to be the #5 starter.

Keep Jenks, since he has been a consistent and good closer.

Bring back Kotsay, since he gives a lot of flexibility*.

Lineup for 2010:

1. Podsednik, LF

2. Beckham, 3B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. AJ, C

6. Quentin, RF

7. Rios, CF

8. Ramirez, SS

9. Getz 2B

Bench:

Nix, 2B/SS

Kotsay, 3B/1B/OF*

Flowers, C+

D2, OF^

Rotation:

1. Buehrle

2. Peavy

3. Danks

4. Floyd

5. Hudson

Bullpen:

Jenks

Thornton

Dotel

Linebrink

Carrasco

Pena

Torres&

*= I doubt Kotsay would want to be a bench player, since he has historically been a starter. So if he doesn't reisgn, the bench adds Viciedo to backup 1B/3B.

+= I wouldn't mind easing Flowers into the MLB, because not everyone is Slayer. AJ could possibly teach him a few things to make him a better catcher (Jake Taylor and Rube Baker all over again?), and this way he could learn the pitching staff before becoming the everyday catcher.

^= Instead of D2, I'd love to see Dye back, and rotate with Quentin and Thome between RF and DH. It most likely wouldn't happen, but they'd all get rest and stay healthy, but I doubt it. D2 could (like Flowers) ease his way into the MLB, and I think he is ahead of Mitchell as of right now.

&=Pipe dream, trade Fields for Poreda. Put Poreda in the pen and have Coop help him develop more pitches. Perhaps he could fill in at #5 if Hudson didn't work out.

I'm not sure I like the idea of D2 and Flowers on the bench right out the gate. I'd rather them spend some more time in the minors getting AB's and playing time then calling them up during the year if theyre ready.

What do you guys think of trading for Nyjer Morgan if we're in need of a CF? I've always loved the guy. He plays pretty good defense from what I've seen, and he gets on-base a lot + his average is always hovering around .290-.305. Also, he'd likely cost us only a mid-level prospect.

My gut feeling is if we're re-signing Pods to be the regular everyday LF, we're going to see a 2007-type situation. He's still a 4th outfielder in a perfect scenario.

Hudson and Figgins will both be huge FAs and I expect a bidding war, but we will need one of those guys (or Carl Crawford) for 2010.

I don't think Dan Hudson will be ready. I expect a $1M retread like El Duque or Colon in the 5 spot. Really, with the quality of the other starters, all we'll need is an innings-eater. I'm in favor of resigning Dotel, or paying another good reliever his $5M.

Leave Flowers in AAA til 2011 - sitting as a backup is not a good idea I don't think.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
My gut feeling is if we're re-signing Pods to be the regular everyday LF, we're going to see a 2007-type situation. He's still a 4th outfielder in a perfect scenario.

Hudson and Figgins will both be huge FAs and I expect a bidding war, but we will need one of those guys (or Carl Crawford) for 2010.

I don't think Dan Hudson will be ready. I expect a $1M retread like El Duque or Colon in the 5 spot. Really, with the quality of the other starters, all we'll need is an innings-eater. I'm in favor of resigning Dotel, or paying another good reliever his $5M.

Leave Flowers in AAA til 2011 - sitting as a backup is not a good idea I don't think.

How could you possibly think that this team, plus the talent waiting in the wings, will have a 2007-like season? I mean anything is possible, but every indication is that the team gets better next year. Heck even just doing the same would be a low end way to finish. But going 72-90? Simply because the team might have Pods in LF (meaning Rios in CF, CQ in RF, and Dye to DH I assume)?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
How could you possibly think that this team, plus the talent waiting in the wings, will have a 2007-like season? I mean anything is possible, but every indication is that the team gets better next year. Heck even just doing the same would be a low end way to finish. But going 72-90? Simply because the team might have Pods in LF (meaning Rios in CF, CQ in RF, and Dye to DH I assume)?

Difference in 2007 type situation and 2007-like season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)

Well, in baseball anything is possible. If we're going to genuinely let one of Dye or Thome walk, then a key injury could really harm our lineup (Q?), and our bullpen worries me next year a lot. But it's really, really easy to make the case that the Sox could be a 95+ win team next year. Full seasons from Beckham, Peavy, Rios, hopefully Quentin, improvement on defense (Rios in CF, Alexei and Becks with more experience at their slots), Flowers presumably getting significant at-bats as the backup C, additional seasons under the belts of Danks and Floyd (hopefully no terrible starts for Floyd next year). Still some holes to be filled and the bullpen worries me, but there's no team in the Central set up for next year as well as us.

Serious Question:

If Carl Crawford could be had for Tyler Flowers Jordan Danks John Ely and Nevin Griffith, with a 48 hour window to negoiate an extension would you pull the trigger?

Crawford is 28 and for the season he is putting up this line .313/.370/.462 .832 for his career .295/.334/.438 .772

over the past 3 years batting lead off .252/.323/.357 .680 batting in the #2 hole .311/.348/.470 .818

for comparisons sake Rios over the same span in the same spot in the line up

Rios batting lead off .280/.336/.488 .824, Rios in the #2 hole .367/.393/.670 1.063 and for good measure batting third in the order .293/.351/.460 .811

Carl Crawford of

4 years/$15.25M (2005-08), plus 2009-10 club options

* 4 years/$15.25M (2005-08), plus 2009-10 club options

o signed extension 4/05, replacing 1 year/$0.37M deal for 2005 which included a $20,000 bonus for reaching 500 PAs

o $0.5M signing bonus

o 05:$0.5M, 06:$2.5M, 07:$4M, 08:$5.25M, 09:$8.25M club option ($2.5M buyout), 10:$10M club option ($1.25M buyout)

o 2010 salary may increase to $11.5M with escalators

o $5.75M deferred, without interest ($1.25M in 2006, $2M in 2007, $2.5M in 2008)

o $3.25M of 2009 option deferred without interest (or entire $2.5M buyout deferred without interest)

o $4M of 2010 option deferred without interest

o 2010 option may increase up to additional $1.5M based on rank in MVP vote ($0.6M each for 1st-4th, $0.3M each for 5th-10th)

o award bonus: $25,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger or LCS MVP; $50,000 each for WS MVP, Rookie of Year; $50,000 for All Star ($25,000 for selection); $0.1M for MVP ($50,000 for 2nd-4th in vote, $25,000 for 5th-10th)

o assignment bonus: $0.8M if traded in 2005-06; $0.6M if traded 2007-08; $0.5M if traded 2009-10

o Tampa Bay exercised 2009 option 4/1/08

* 1 year/$0.32M (2004)

* 1 year/$0.3M (2003)

* agent: Brian Peters

* ML service: 6.072

from Cots

Crawford returning to what he normally is....it would still be great, but I think that price might be too high for us

I might pay that price for a corner OF who will slam moonshots. albeit with Crawford's career avg and obp

I'm worried about going HR deficient in the next few yrs.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Hank Blalock, now this guy is the wild card. He has been suffering injuries the past few years. When he is healthy, he is a good power lefty. Two powerful lefties makes me cum (and it probably makes ozzie cum too). This is assuming he doesnt have any bad injuries though. After all, we have a miracle worker on our staff. Herm is the greatest.

I really like this guy for a lefty DH/1B over 3B. Another guy to keep an eye on would be Adam LaRoche.

These guys won't hit homers at a Jim Thome frequency but can DH or play 1B.

I still think the Sox need a leadoff hitter as well

Unfortunately I think Thome just doesn't fit the team anymore. A lefty 1B/DH would be ideal.

Biggest needs in my opinion:

Lefty 1B/DH or DH/RF

Leadoff (either 2B/3B/LF/RF)

Bullpen (righty and lefty)

If they can address 2 out of the 3 with solid players I think the Sox will be in great shape. Depending on how arbitration works with Quentin, Jenks and Danks (I think all 3 of these are arb. eligible) will determine how much the Sox can spend on these holes.

Edited by BFirebird

I really like this guy for a lefty DH/1B over 3B. Another guy to keep an eye on would be Adam LaRoche.

These guys won't hit homers at a Jim Thome frequency but can DH or play 1B.

I still think the Sox need a leadoff hitter as well

Unfortunately I think Thome just doesn't fit the team anymore. A lefty 1B/DH would be ideal.

Biggest needs in my opinion:

Lefty 1B/DH or DH/RF

Leadoff (either 2B/3B/LF/RF)

Bullpen (righty and lefty)

If they can address 2 out of the 3 with solid players I think the Sox will be in great shape. Depending on how arbitration works with Quentin, Jenks and Danks (I think all 3 of these are arb. eligible) will determine how much the Sox can spend on these holes.

But if he could play 3b still... Our lineup would be unreal. Beckham could be moved over to 2b. Thome could stay as DH. (he leads the team in OPS. still very productive) Two power lefties and AJ who is another good lefty. that would be a damn good team.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Serious Question:

If Carl Crawford could be had for Tyler Flowers Jordan Danks John Ely and Nevin Griffith, with a 48 hour window to negoiate an extension would you pull the trigger?

Crawford is 28 and for the season he is putting up this line .313/.370/.462 .832 for his career .295/.334/.438 .772

over the past 3 years batting lead off .252/.323/.357 .680 batting in the #2 hole .311/.348/.470 .818

for comparisons sake Rios over the same span in the same spot in the line up

Rios batting lead off .280/.336/.488 .824, Rios in the #2 hole .367/.393/.670 1.063 and for good measure batting third in the order .293/.351/.460 .811

Way too much considering we could just go after him as a FA the next year.

Should be interesting to see what the Rays decide to do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)

I was just talking Pods' performance. If you think he's an everyday major league LFer, then I have a bridge to sell you. Get a real corner outfielder and use him as a 4th guy off the bench. Do you see him starting for either Boston or New York next year? Then he shouldn't for us either.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
I was just talking Pods' performance. If you think he's an everyday major league LFer, then I have a bridge to sell you. Get a real corner outfielder and use him as a 4th guy off the bench. Do you see him starting for either Boston or New York next year? Then he shouldn't for us either.

The Cubs have a huge payroll and expected to contend for a WS at the beginning of this year

They would take Pods and start him.

It depends on fit, leadoff is such a problem leaguewide....a lot of teams will take on some bad defense to have one, and we're one of those teams right now.

I would love for someone to take over that leadoff spot next year, but if Rios duplicates his Toronto 09 performance...... you'd have to think the Sox will try to bring Pods back with a cheap one-year deal.

I took a few days to think about what I would like the Sox to do if I was Kenny Williams for 2010:

*Let Thome walk.

*Let Pods walk.

*Resign Jermaine Dye to be the DH who can also occasionally fill-in at RF.

*Sign Bobby Abreu to a 2-year deal. He bats left-handed and would replace Thome/Pods essentially one player that can replace lost qualities of both (Thome's patience at the plate, and Pods' speed). Once Abreu's 2-year deal is up, then Jordan Danks and maybe even Mitchell ought to both be ready for 2012 at the latest and we might have an outfield of Danks-Rios-Mitchell or Mitchell-Danks-Rios or even Danks-Mitchell-Rios, lol, with Quentin as DH.

*If Viciedo is ready, have him start on the major league team in 2010 and have him rotate between 1B, 3B, and DH. If Viciedo is not ready, then just resign Kotsay.

*Try out Abreu as the pead-off man, if he fails, then try Getz.

Positions:

C: Pierzynski

1B: Konerko (1B/DH)

2B: Getz

SS: Alexei (SS/2B)

3B: Beckham (3B/occasional SS?)

RF: Abreu (RF/LF)

CF: Rios (CF/RF)

LF: Quentin (LF/DH)

DH: Dye (RF/DH)

Bench:

Castro (resign) ©

Nix (2B/SS/3B)

Viciedo (1B/3B/DH) or Kotsay (1B)

4th outfielder (cheap option, or maybe Pods??? someone who can sub in CF)

Lineup:

1. Abreu L

2. Beckham R

3. Dye R

4. Konerko R

5. Rios R

6. Pierzynski L

7. Quentin R

8. Getz L

9. Alexei R

(wow, I never thought I would plug in both Quentin and Alexei in 7th and 9th. I guess Q can end up in the 3-hole if he finds his stroke again and everyone moves one position down)

Pitching Rotation:

1. Buehrle

2. Peavy

3. Danks

4. Floyd

5. ??? (not sure if Hudson would be ready right away, either Hudson or someone from AAA like Torres, Marquez, or some cheap free agent. Would love to get Davis, though, but he would probably cost too much.)

Bullpen:

Jenks

Thornton

Linebrink

Pena

Carrasco

Nunez

Plus some lefty for the 2nd lefty reliever spot. Cheap free agent???

We arent getting Abreu. After the season he is having this year, he is going to want big bucks. I'm perfectly fine with Jim Thome. .383 OBP and a .500 slugging percentage. He is one of 15 players in the league who have an OBP over .380 and a slugging percentage of .500 or over. That is pretty good. On top of that, he is a lefty.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:46 AM)
We arent getting Abreu. After the season he is having this year, he is going to want big bucks. I'm perfectly fine with Jim Thome. .383 OBP and a .500 slugging percentage. He is one of 15 players in the league who have an OBP over .380 and a slugging percentage of .500 or over. That is pretty good. On top of that, he is a lefty.

i agree. I don't see any way THome is not back next year unless his contract demands are outrageous and i can't see that being the case. Ozzie,and all his teammates, love the guy, he's going for 600 HR, and he's lefthanded. As much as i'd like Blalock to be brought in, i think Thome is on the team and Dye may be the odd man out. Replace Dye's contract with Figgins and having an OF of Figgins, Rios, and CQ would be acceptable. Pods could be brought back as a #4 OF.