Princess Dye

OF glut issues  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How to handle the glut?

• Pods does not return
    • Dye does not return
    • Thome does not return
    • other more sweeping changes

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:01 AM)
i agree. I don't see any way THome is not back next year unless his contract demands are outrageous and i can't see that being the case. Ozzie,and all his teammates, love the guy, he's going for 600 HR, and he's lefthanded. As much as i'd like Blalock to be brought in, i think Thome is on the team and Dye may be the odd man out. Replace Dye's contract with Figgins and having an OF of Figgins, Rios, and CQ would be acceptable. Pods could be brought back as a #4 OF.

I agree with everything except for the Pods brought back as a 4th OF. He will likely land a starting OF spot somewhere after the season he is having. Hopefully it is not with us. I love him offensively but defensively he is too much of a liability.

Dye is going to want some pretty good cash and he is likely seeking a 3 year deal. Since we already have a lineup stacked with Right handed hitters, i just don't see him as a fit next year. Thome is going to want a 1 year deal for like $5 million plus incentives. Yeah he'll miss his seasonal 15-30 games/ year, but his OBP is still high at .380 and he is on pace for another 30 HR season. At this rate, Thome will hit his 600th HR around late August of next year. That would be great for marketing as well.

Pending some trades, the Sox will have about $10-12 million to spend on free agents. I personally would love Figgins. Yea he is getting a bit older but he could steal bases (37/50) he could still get on base .401 OBP, and he is better defensively than Pods. So yeah i would spend that Dye money on Figgins.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I can't see this team actually having enough money for Figgins let alone having enough to fill in the other holes.

What other holes? I really think this team can fill everything else internally. Hudson may be ready for next season. The infield is set, the outfield would be set with the aquisition of Figgins and Thome would be brought back cheap for 1 year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
What other holes? I really think this team can fill everything else internally. Hudson may be ready for next season. The infield is set, the outfield would be set with the aquisition of Figgins and Thome would be brought back cheap for 1 year.

Our bullpen looks to be a trouble spot next year again.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Pending some trades, the Sox will have about $10-12 million to spend on free agents. I personally would love Figgins. Yea he is getting a bit older but he could steal bases (37/50) he could still get on base .401 OBP, and he is better defensively than Pods. So yeah i would spend that Dye money on Figgins.

yea but shouldnt the sox hold on to some of that money? meaning not commit a lot of money bcuz were going to have to give a lot of raises pretty soon?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
yea but shouldnt the sox hold on to some of that money? meaning not commit a lot of money bcuz were going to have to give a lot of raises pretty soon?

Even as people are getting raises...the Sox continue to have money coming off the books. Konerko and Pierzynski's contracts, together about $20 million, come off the books after 2010. Yes, you're giving people raises, but if you can win while working in the young guys, you can keep the run going for a long time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
Even as people are getting raises...the Sox continue to have money coming off the books. Konerko and Pierzynski's contracts, together about $20 million, come off the books after 2010. Yes, you're giving people raises, but if you can win while working in the young guys, you can keep the run going for a long time.

oh :)

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
oh :)

Yup. And I believe 2011 is Linebrink and Buehrle...although hopefully MB is extended once more if he wants to keep going. Then 2012 is Peavy, unless we pick up his option. It's a good progression of rolling through people, which is sorta how you want it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Yup. And I believe 2011 is Linebrink and Buehrle...although hopefully MB is extended once more if he wants to keep going. Then 2012 is Peavy, unless we pick up his option. It's a good progression of rolling through people, which is sorta how you want it.

Yeppo. We are set up pretty nicely. Raises to Quentin and Danks really isn't going to effect us that much. KW will have about 10-12 million to spend on free agency and i think Figgins is the guy he'll be courting this winter.

Well after the season is over we have about 40 million coming off the books in salary. Peavy and Rios already account for about 30 million, give or take. Use that money to sign Figgins and that gives you two options. The first option is Figgins plays left, Rios plays center and Quentin plays right. You could also have Figgins play third, shift Bacon back to short, and try out Alexei in the outfield if he continues to mentally struggle at short. Either way we have speed in left and I'm confident that if Alexei can be servicable in the time he's spent in center, he'd do alright in left. All this being the case, we still probably would have to resign either Dye or Thome to be the DH, but they won't be costing us nearly as much money as before.

As for signing a starting pitcher, I say we go into spring training looking to give Hudson a shot, and if not, just try to fill the spot internally. With the starting four that we're looking at we have a little room to try and find a servicable fifth starter.

QUOTE (elmo9246 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
As for signing a starting pitcher, I say we go into spring training looking to give Hudson a shot, and if not, just try to fill the spot internally. With the starting four that we're looking at we have a little room to try and find a servicable fifth starter.

I think he'll get more than a shot. Given his meteoric rise this season, I'll be surprised if Huddy's not the 5th starter next April. I'll also be surprised if he's not a very good one.

KW will have a backup plan, but I don't think he's viewing the 5th starter as something he'll be spending on this offseason. Except, perhaps, for the signing of a Cuban pitcher.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
KW will have a backup plan, but I don't think he's viewing the 5th starter as something he'll be spending on this offseason. Except, perhaps, for the signing of a Cuban pitcher.

Exactly even though I've heard a lot of talk about it I don't see it being an area of immediate concern. Plus I'd rather go through the growing pains of Hudson in a low pressure 5th starter situation than deal with another Bartolo.

As per my original post, lets say we have 15M to spend on some combo of Pods/Thome/Dye

Would you bring back say two of those three with money to spare for a who-knows relief arm.........

........... or would ya bring in one guy like a Holliday (unlikely) or Jason Bay. Then you have your outfield and probably only have to cobble together a DH out of Flowers and/or Kotsay if he returns. Bay could DH actually......and that leaves the opportunity to get Alexei out in LF or something.

Lets make Figgins/Thome not an option for that $15M as most would probably choose that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
As per my original post, lets say we have 15M to spend on some combo of Pods/Thome/Dye

Would you bring back say two of those three with money to spare for a who-knows relief arm.........

........... or would ya bring in one guy like a Holliday (unlikely) or Jason Bay. Then you have your outfield and probably only have to cobble together a DH out of Flowers and/or Kotsay if he returns. Bay could DH actually.

Lets make Figgins/Thome not an option for that $15M as most would probably choose that.

IF KW signs an outfielder as a free agent it will be a leadoff type player. That's all the lineup needs and it looks like it needs to be in the outfield. They already like the infield.

I know KW really likes Figgins. I think he'll definitley look into him this offseason. However, lets not look past KW and his trading expertise. Carl Crawford may be available via trade this winter and KW might be willing to offer some young talent to bring him over. I know Tampa also may be looking to improve their pen. A trade with a package centered around Bobby Jenks perhaps? Just thinking outside the box, something KW loves doing. :)

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
by jove i've got it

Beckham 3b

Alexei ss

Thome dh

Quentin lf (if still with same mobility)

Dye rf

AJP c

Konerko 1b

Rios cf

Getz 2b

I can damn near guarantee that one of Thome and Dye is not back, and I'm counting on it being Dye who is out the door.

If you're Freidman, would you really take two years of Bobby Jenks at $8 million and $10 million...knowing he's not close to the same pitcher he was from 2005-2006, and swap him for the most identifiable and popular Rays' player over the last five years? Isn't the point with retaining Crawford the high price tag?? How would bringing in a pitcher with a questionable future and ALMOST as high a salary benefit them? I think they would be much more likely to want us to take Burrell off their hands for Jenks.

No way, and no way do you trade an everyday LF/CFer with leadoff capabilities for a closer. Never.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
If you're Freidman, would you really take two years of Bobby Jenks at $8 million and $10 million...knowing he's not close to the same pitcher he was from 2005-2006, and swap him for the most identifiable and popular Rays' player over the last five years? Isn't the point with retaining Crawford the high price tag?? How would bringing in a pitcher with a questionable future and ALMOST as high a salary benefit them? I think they would be much more likely to want us to take Burrell off their hands for Jenks.

No way, and no way do you trade an everyday LF/CFer with leadoff capabilities for a closer. Never.

I was just throwing an example out there. Is it highly unlikely yes. Will Tampa trade Crawford this offseason? Its definitley a posibility. If Friedman could shed 11 million and restock there farm and depth to their already impressive young core than i could see it happening. I threw Jenks in there as an example of KW's ability to wheel and deal.

Was gonna put this in the important AJP and KW thread, but seemed more appropriate here...

I see Dotel returning, for the sole fact that Tony Pena isn't Dotel Lite. Dotel has improved this year (maybe everyone should have hugged Obama?) and has given up less (7) home runs than last year. After Thornton and healthy Bobby, Dotel is the most reliable guy we got.

Unless JD goes on a tear this final month, he's the odd man out, but if he does, he'll stay and Thome will go.

If Alexei is traded, it's gonna be a blockbuster deal. Like, Alexei-Flowers/Viciedo-Hudson/Torres-Retherford/Nix for Dan Haren or another #1 or #2 type pitcher. If that happened, I'd see Beckham moving back to short and a FA 3B like Crede (Ex-White Sock, '05 Member) or Figgins (Kenny Williams kind of guy). If Nix is shipped out, expect another super-sub (Uribe, the Original Nix) to be brought in.

If Figgins is brought on, Pods is likely gone, and this leaves a spot in the OF. Even if Thome is retained and Pods out the door, no way JD is still in the OF, so this could be anything from a big FA splash (Holliday?) or a trade (somehow prying Crawford from the Rays) or re-signing Kotsay to play in the OF full time.

Fifth Starter could be any of these guys: Hudson, Garland (Only because he and Buehrle are still pals, and Buehrle is the one that got Pods a job this year), Freddy (he could be a serviceable #5), Haren (see above trade), Halladay (see above trade), Harden (FA), Bedard (FA), or Washburn (FA).

Here's all the different ways 2010 could look...

Rotation:

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Hudson/Garland/Garcia/Haren/Halladay/Harden/Bedard/Washburn

Lineup

C - AJ

1B - Konerko

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez/Beckham (if Ramirez is moved)

3B - Beckham/Figgins(Ramirez traded)/Crede (if Ramirez is traded and Pods retained or Figgins in LF)

LF - Podsednik/Holliday/Figgins/Crawford/Kotsay (if none of the previous 4 can be had)

CF - Rios

RF - Quentin

DH - Dye/Thome/Podsednik (if Holliday could be signed and Thome and Dye are both gone)

Bench

Kotsay

Nix/Uribe

Castro/Flowers (long shot)

Hopefully Not Wise/Fields (Ozuna or Harris?)

Bullpen:

Pena

Williams

Nunez

Dotel

Linebrink

Carrasco

Thornton

Jenks