Just a little Kenny Williams appreciation thread...

Pumpkin Escobar

I was thinking to myself today about how I feel good that Peavy and Rios can overcome their doubters and do well for us. Peavy having to get by this fear/doubt people have of him not being in Petco and having arm troubles.

Rios not ever going to live up to his 30-30, 5-tool potential.

Finally drafting a top-notch player in Beckham(more our slot then anythign but still).

Then I thought about last year and bringing in Alexei and Quentin.

Then started thinking about Danks and Floyd.

The 05' title.

I know I've given Kenny lots of crap over the years for not making certain moves - either not signing a guy, our horrible drafts, not dealing for a superstar or not getting a good return on what we dealt or not dealing someone we have while we can get something of value (cough Jenks cough). All of these things I've ripped him for but I thought about all this and realized this guy deserves a pat on the back.

Great Job Kenny.

Now if Peavy and Rios backfire - then stuff him. And stuff him again. (Little Flight of the Conchords refernce for those who watch.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

I too agree that KW deserves props. If I had the time and the gumption, I would go back and look at what he did and what he sent away in order to end up with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Alexei, Beckham, Peavy, and Rios.

And a lot of the deals he has done came out of nowhere.

Arrogantly Quiet...that's what he is.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
conchords is a great show

If that's what you are into.

Anyways, I agree. KW takes a lot of s***, sometimes deservedly so, but overall I think he's done a hell of a job. If someone were to list all the trades/aquisitions he's made I'd bet he came out on top a lot more often than not. He's definitely under appreciated here, IMO

I would much rather have a GM who at least tries to make the team better, all the while, keeping payroll manageable. He's not burdened by any bad contracts. He's not stuck with any players and he doesn't sit on his hands. He's willing to shift gears mid-season. He will mix it up with a player he thinks has stepped out of line. Of course, Kenny has faults, but this is a great organization, and they are all on the same page. That's what keeps them in the hunt year after year.

It will be a sad day when Kenny leaves. A sad, sad day indeed.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

His attendance comments after the Dodgers series that had me and others so pissed were obviously just a smoke screen.

Kudos also to JR and the owners for agreeing to take on the Peavy and Rios deals.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

These are big-time, ballsy moves.

I was as big critic of his circa 2004 as I am a fan today. I'd love to pull up some threads from that time and see how many here wanted his head. The feeling that 2005 was a once in a lifetime event has been replaced by the feeling this team will be a perennial playoff team for the next 5 or 6 years.

around 02-03 I felt that he took over a team with an all star offense and the best farm system in baseball and had depleted the farm and got nothing in return to put them over the hump. Now I just find his vision to be fantastic. He seems to be working at a level that no one else is. (that doesn't mean above everyone else, rather he isn't working on who's available, he's working on who he needs).

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I was as big critic of his circa 2004 as I am a fan today. I'd love to pull up some threads from that time and see how many here wanted his head. The feeling that 2005 was a once in a lifetime event has been replaced by the feeling this team will be a perennial playoff team for the next 5 or 6 years.

I wanted his head. Even the last few years I didn't think he'd be able to mold this team into a younger, talented, athletic team without having to deal our veterans and rebuild with prospects but he has managed to do it and I am impressed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
around 02-03 I felt that he took over a team with an all star offense and the best farm system in baseball and had depleted the farm and got nothing in return to put them over the hump. Now I just find his vision to be fantastic. He seems to be working at a level that no one else is. (that doesn't mean above everyone else, rather he isn't working on who's available, he's working on who he needs).

This.

And he isn't looking at the big name all the time. If he gets burned, he seems to find a better alternative (see: Hunter, Torii). I think his three year whiteboard is genius.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
I wanted his head. Even the last few years I didn't think he'd be able to mold this team into a younger, talented, athletic team without having to deal our veterans and rebuild with prospects but he has managed to do it and I am impressed.

I remember a news conference from the dug out where we all thought he was announcing his resignation and he basically just said he saved a bunch of money on his auto insurance. I was so pissed we were still "stuck" with him. Probably the worst personnel judgment I ever had.

I agree with the premise of this thread, and I would also like to add that I feel that management has done the proper job putting this team in a position to win. It's all up to the players now. With the talent this group possesses, there is no doubt in my mind that this team should, in the very least, be a half a dozen games above .500.

I've never been a huge Kenny fan. I felt 2005 could have possibly been a fluke and have really criticized him for some things in the last few years. I was skeptical; but in the last few weeks he's really proven himself to me. Props.