White Sox Take Advantage of MLB Market

Chisoxfn

White Sox Take Advantage of MLB Market

By Steve Harnden

The news of the White Sox being rewarded the waiver claim of two-time All-Star Alex Rios on Monday afternoon came to no surprise to those following the news around internet sports sites such as ESPN and Soxtalk. However, this does not lessen the effect of such an unprecedented talent being given away during the prime of his career on the mindset of the economic stability, or rather, instability of Major League Baseball....More at the Link

Steve needs a secretary worse than me.

:P

Nice article and congrats on the fame, not as insightful as my Cromartie article for Talkbears in 2006, but its a good start.

:)

(I kid I kid, but im sure you already knew that.)

(Second Edit)

Chisoxfn I was just wondering if you had a copy of that article, I am interested to see what I said now. haha

Edited by Soxbadger

Good article. I was and still am a big fan of what KW did in acquiring Rios. He's what the Sox needed, and KW went out and said, "I'll take him, and you'll get nothing in return and like it." Of course, Toronto's GM didn't have a problem with it because he shed payroll.

I suspect Rios may take a few games to get comfortable, but his presence will be felt right away. Aside from being a legitimate CFer, he will allow Dye, Pods, Thome, and Quentin to rest without the team resorting to sticking Wise out there.

It really is nice to see that the Sox positioned themselves and used there money smartly. I remember a lot of people being smart-asses in February/March after the Sox shed a ton of money in trades and lost FA's (ie, Javy/Swisher/Crede/Uribe) and really didn't reinvest it (with the exception of Viciedo).

Well, quietly Kenny and Company realized that baseball was in for a rut and that if he waited patiently he'd be able to use that money which was banked on very good players. Fast-forward to July/August and the Sox took the money saved (plus some of what will be saved starting in 2010 with Contreras and at least one of Dye/Thome coming off the books) and got himself an under 30 glove caliber CFer and an under 30 Cy Young award winner while giving up a total of 1 top 50 prospect (Poreda), one young starting pitcher (Richard...best piece in the draft), a AAAAer/LongMan (Russell), and a talented A ball arm (Carter).

The Sox now have the following young core that is under 30: Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Ramirez, Quentin, Beckham, Getz.

Waiting in the wings you have: Danks, Flowers, Viciedo, Hudson

Less Hyped but still solid: Leesman, Burdie, Shirek, Nunez (Sox like the kid), Nate Jones, etc.

There is no reason to think that the Sox can't own the Central for the next 5 years (and contend (hopefully win) for the Series ever year)

well the biggest thing was that Williams and company have been willing to make moves since the offseason, but those opportunities never really presented themself. Since then, they have, and the Sox have taken advantage of it. This franchise looks much, much better going forward than they did going into the season.

Great article and the only thing I'd disagree with is Rios only having 4 tools. His power, if you're looking at SLG% as an indicator, should actually increase quite a bit from where it is now. A lot of those doubles are going to turn into HR's here, not just because of the park dimensions but also because of the heat in summer and the winds, and even though Rios can hit to all fields, I think he'll become more of a pull hitter here. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rios become a 30/30 guy in the Cell once he gets comfortable.

And man, Rios' D is really going to help us in CF when we're playing in larger parks, specifically Comerica. I've always had a hard-on for this guy and I'm so glad Kenny went out and got him.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Great article and the only thing I'd disagree with is Rios only having 4 tools. His power, if you're looking at SLG% as an indicator, should actually increase quite a bit from where it is now. A lot of those doubles are going to turn into HR's here, not just because of the park dimensions but also because of the heat in summer and the winds, and even though Rios can hit to all fields, I think he'll become more of a pull hitter here. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rios become a 30/30 guy in the Cell once he gets comfortable.

And man, Rios' D is really going to help us in CF when we're playing in larger parks, specifically Comerica. I've always had a hard-on for this guy and I'm so glad Kenny went out and got him.

Oh great, it's not like every other player we've ever acquired turned into that.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
Steve, great read. I can honestly say that some of these articles are more informative than anything in a Chicago newspaper (Is that saying much?).

Thanks man.

I swear newspapers are soooooo uninformative when it comes to sports analysis, there is none.