Is 2009 really a wash?

chisoxfan09

All, I am not gonna bad mouth last nigh's performance or get on any one player. I am over the disappointment, frustration, and roller coaster rides this team has given us this year. Having said that I am firmly believing and hoping the rebuilding (It doesn't matter what KW or Ozzie say cuz this is what I believe it is) gives a us winning ROI (Return of Investment) in 2010. I have seen guys on the team underperform, not show up mentally, and just straight out refuse to play fundamental baseball. All of this I attribute to the hybrid identity of the swing for the fences/win now formula and the insistence we have the right players to work with the small ball. My reasoning is more towards the home run mentality with streaks/flashes of small ball/fundamentals. So much lineup tinkering, guys out of position in the lineup and on the field just make me think this year is a wah and a huge experiement with mixed/mediocre results at best. If we get to the playoffs because we win the division then fine but I see it as one series and out. The true progress should start to make it's shape next year and carry into 2011. I hope I am wrong but my 2 cents. Any feedback to include me getting flamed is welcome.

:bringit

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One can't help but feel that this team will not go far in 2009...if they even make the playoffs. Detroit and Minnesota are trying to let the Sox take the division, but the Sox are not capitalizing. Unless some of the key players turn things around fast (Dye and Quentin, I'm looking at you), making the playoffs will be difficult and going deep into the playoffs will be impossible.

I agree that 2010 and beyond is what KW is really looking at. Winning the division in 2009 would be a bonus.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Seeing how Minnesota and Detroit are equally as bad right now, and the Sox are only 2 games back, I think this kind of talk is silly.

Exactly. Part of me wishes we were in the AL East, so I could stop caring so much about this mediocre team, but the fact is we are only two games out of a playoff spot and the team we are chasing is equally mediocre, so theres no reason why we cant still win the division. And with a rotation of Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, anything can happen in the playoffs

This team really seems to play to the level of its competition. If we make the playoffs, look out! But we have to beat the Seattles, Detroits, and Minnies out there to do it first! The team I'm reminded of is the 2003 squad: World Series caliber star power on the roster but just couldn't get the job done to sew up a division crown.

If the starting pitching performs like it did the last few days, we will make the playoffs.

Last night was just one of those freakish games where no team could buy a run. I could definitley see the Sox scoring 6-8 runs on friday night. Our next 9 games are against below .500 teams. We NEED to take advantage of these games.

3 @ Oakland: Hopefully we'll win 2. But this place has been a nightmare for us for whatever reason.

3 vs KC: A sweep would do wonders. We are playing better at home of late. I say we'll win 2.

3 vs Baltamore: Another opportunity for a sweep. But we'll likely win 2 here.

Anything less than 6-3 would be a dissappointment.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
I hope we don't make the playoffs this year, only so we don't get embarrassed by a team with some real talent.

Go away. This is the worst post in the history of this forum.

The Yankees and Angels really kicked our ass didn't they?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
I hope we don't make the playoffs this year, only so we don't get embarrassed by a team with some real talent. Hopefully next year will get better when we get rid of some of the old, slow players and infuse even more youth.

how can you sit there in gamethread after gamethread b****ing and moaning about every little thing that happens to the Sox, then hold this mindset?

I just dont understand this at all. Look at what the Sox have done against some of their likely competition in the playoffs(Angels and Yankees)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Go away. This is the worst post in the history of this forum.

The Yankees and Angels really kicked our ass didn't they?

LOL, this is like the condensed version of what I said

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
I hope we don't make the playoffs this year, only so we don't get embarrassed by a team with some real talent. Hopefully next year will get better when we get rid of some of the old, slow players and infuse even more youth.

Worst post ever.

Inexcusable and illogical.

The 2006 Cardinals say hi

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
Seeing how Minnesota and Detroit are equally as bad right now, and the Sox are only 2 games back, I think this kind of talk is silly.

He admitted we can win the division, but that it's fairly obvious we won't make much noise. I don't think it's silly at all. We're looking at the same scenario as 2008.

All we need is for someone to catch fire. I think it's going to need to be Quentin and Dye. Quentin is hitting the ball hard everywhere and I just think he'll have a good 2-3 week stretch and it'll lead into the clueless looking JD to breaking out of his funk.

If we can just get this group hot, in particular one or two guys who can carry us, then I thnk we'll make it.

We have some real tough series but we also need to take every game from Detroit when we see them.

This isn't a bad thing right now. We haven't been playing well outside of our Yankee/Angel games and yet we are still well within striking distance. The Tigers are just as inconsistent and are no lock.

This doesn't quite remind me of 05', well not really at all, but I do believe in the hottest team having the most success come playoff time. Right now - we are pretty cold and from watching this team they are due to break out in the next couple weeks and go on a little run. If we are 3 games back and hit mid-September then I'll be more worried but right now I see us struggling a little while longer before just bursting out of it and hopefully that propels us into the playoffs. Similar to 05' where we struggled down the stretch and got red hot when it mattered most.

I kind of thought along the same lines as TS has, but I just think that it's not a stretch to say if the Sox back into the playoffs and 3 out of Danks, Floyd, Peavy or MB are on a roll and Thorn and Jenks are straight the Sox can put a scare into any of the playoff teams.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
Worst post ever.

Inexcusable and illogical.

The 2006 Cardinals say hi

I agreed with his logic prior to landing the Peavy and Rios deals. And seeing what Beckham can do.

I was all for a firesale the last few years to bring in young talent to infuse the team with but we managed to do it and remain competitive - and right now. I know a lot of us don't see it but I think if we make the playoffs we are much more dangerous then we were last season.

We'll probably draw the Yankees if we make it and they havent exactly dominated us. I think if Peavy is remotely Peavy that we can match up pretty well with them.

If we make it and face off with them and beat CC in game 1. It'll suck the life out of them to see their billion dollar hired gun get beat right out of the gate.

So while I did agree with the guy before - right now, "there's nothing left to do but win the whole...F******....thing"

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
He admitted we can win the division, but that it's fairly obvious we won't make much noise. I don't think it's silly at all. We're looking at the same scenario as 2008.

i dont think anything is fairly obvious besides the fact that the rotation the Sox would walk into the playoffs with is fairly obviously awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
While others have focused on the "2009 is a wash" part...take note of the other thing. 2010...this team could be really, really good.

I totally agree that looking forward this team can become something special. I just dont think that the present should be ignored

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
I totally agree that looking forward this team can become something special. I just dont think that the present should be ignored

No disagreement here. Just not we can do about it. We're a better team on paper than how we've played, but that's just frustrating to think about right now. Let's get Peavy back and see what we can do with our other new toys, let's get Beckham and Dye out of their current slumps, and see if we can't make up that ground. We really ought to be able to.