AJ

hogan873

I know this is a topic we have discussed before, but I thought maybe we should talk about some of the good things going on with the Sox. I was listening to ESPN 1000 a few days ago, and they were saying that Hawk said that AJ is the smartest baseball player in the game right now. Local baseball expert Bruce Levine agreed that AJ is one of the smartest. I would tend to agree that he's a smart ball player. But more than that, he is such a pain in the ass to other teams. I remember when he was with the Twins, you had to hate him. Now, even when he goes back to Minnesota (where he WAS loved) he gets booed.

Think of all of the things he has done here as a Sox. The big things are easy to remember; the biggest being the dropped third strike in 2005. There must be so many other things that he does that we don't see.

On top of everything else, he's having a career year. He's got one more year with the Sox (I think), and beyond that it's hard to tell what would happen. I would think that Flowers would be MLB ready by 2011.

AJP wants to finish his career with the Sox. I think having him around for another couple years or so is a good thing. I hope that we sign him to an extension and then bring up our highly touted catching prospect Flowers to work alongside AJ and learn the major league style of play that AJ shows everyday. Flowers is good with the bat, but questions remain on his defensive ability. I have never seen the kid play so I don't know, but you would think AJP would be a good teacher.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
Well the Ol' Hawkeroo has been watchin AJ play since his days in Florida as a youngster when the oranges were in full bloom and the breeze was comin off the ocean don'tcha know.

Nice

Flowers' bat is a huge upgrade over AJ, most likely. He raked in AA, putting up a ridiculous .302/.445/.548/.993 line. And now after 18 games in AAA, he seems to be figuring that out too - he's hitting .351 in his last 10 games, and has a .294/.333/.441/.775 line there so far in 68 AB. His High A line last year included a .921 OPS. The guy can rake.

Flowers' defense has been questioned, though looking at the few numbers I can find, and listening to some folks who have seen him play, it sounds like that area of his game is improving and isn't too bad either. And its not as if AJ is a great defender.

But that all said, AJ brings a lot more to the table than a bat and a glove. We don't know if Flowers will be able to provide that. But I like the idea of Flowers backing up AJ next year, hopefully to learn some of those more subtle but important aspects of catching - game calling, pitcher handling, etc. Flowers can also then take a year to adjust slowly to major league pitching as a hitter. This works well for Flowers to start in 2011.

One potential wrench in the works though - I don't know how well AJ will react to, basically, training his replacement. Looking at the total package, AJ is still a darn good guy to have as your starting catcher, and he could start elsewhere. He may get pissed and want to leave, or he may just not want to be helpful with Flowers. Hopefully this is a non-issue, but let's be honest - how many of us would feel good about training our replacement when we still felt like we were good at our job?

Its a good problem to have. We have one good catcher on the team, and another potentially very good one coming up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
Flowers' bat is a huge upgrade over AJ, most likely. He raked in AA, putting up a ridiculous .302/.445/.548/.993 line. And now after 18 games in AAA, he seems to be figuring that out too - he's hitting .351 in his last 10 games, and has a .294/.333/.441/.775 line there so far in 68 AB. His High A line last year included a .921 OPS. The guy can rake.

Until I see him do that in the big leagues I'm not going to say "Is" a huge upgrade over AJ. He certainly could be. He puts up anything in the big leagues like what he's done in the minors this year and he can have a Mike Piazza like career.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Until I see him do that in the big leagues I'm not going to say "Is" a huge upgrade over AJ. He certainly could be. He puts up anything in the big leagues like what he's done in the minors this year and he can have a Mike Piazza like career.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)

Did you miss the bolded?

No such thing as a can't-miss prospect (despite what some think), but given his track record and the scouting reports I have seen, its reasonable to think he has a very good chance of being a better hitter than AJ in the long run.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
But that all said, AJ brings a lot more to the table than a bat and a glove. We don't know if Flowers will be able to provide that. But I like the idea of Flowers backing up AJ next year, hopefully to learn some of those more subtle but important aspects of catching - game calling, pitcher handling, etc. Flowers can also then take a year to adjust slowly to major league pitching as a hitter. This works well for Flowers to start in 2011.

I definitely agree with bringing up Flowers as a backup next year. If both Dye and Thome are let go this winter (which seems possible, but unlikely), maybe signing A.J. to another 3-year deal and eventually moving him to 1B (and Paulie to DH) might be an option. That would eliminate the need for a backup catcher on the roster spot, and keep A.J.'s leadership and solid bat.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Did you miss the bolded?

No such thing as a can't-miss prospect (despite what some think), but given his track record and the scouting reports I have seen, its reasonable to think he has a very good chance of being a better hitter than AJ in the long run.

I saw it. Just trying to keep myself and everyone else from overselling the kid.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
I definitely agree with bringing up Flowers as a backup next year. If both Dye and Thome are let go this winter (which seems possible, but unlikely), maybe signing A.J. to another 3-year deal and eventually moving him to 1B (and Paulie to DH) might be an option. That would eliminate the need for a backup catcher on the roster spot, and keep A.J.'s leadership and solid bat.

I'm not sure about AJ at first. But, here is another thought. With Flowers' bat, if its as good as it appears it might be, it would be nice to get him some AB's at DH, perhaps to spell an aging Thome. But to do that, you need one of the bench guys to be capable of playing catcher, just in case. I don't think any of the current ones fit that category. But if you found one that did, then you could improve your lineups on off days for your main DH, and developer Flowers' bat faster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm not sure about AJ at first. But, here is another thought. With Flowers' bat, if its as good as it appears it might be, it would be nice to get him some AB's at DH, perhaps to spell an aging Thome. But to do that, you need one of the bench guys to be capable of playing catcher, just in case. I don't think any of the current ones fit that category. But if you found one that did, then you could improve your lineups on off days for your main DH, and developer Flowers' bat faster.

That's true, and I would have no problem with Flowers DHing for a while. A.J. should definitely still be our starting catcher next year but my thought process is that if you already have Flowers and he's competent at C, moving A.J. to a position that's less taxing on his knees may be better in the long run (if he's re-signed past next season). And, of course, the feasibility of even keeping A.J. around depends on a lot of other things.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
That's true, and I would have no problem with Flowers DHing for a while. A.J. should definitely still be our starting catcher next year but my thought process is that if you already have Flowers and he's competent at C, moving A.J. to a position that's less taxing on his knees may be better in the long run (if he's re-signed past next season). And, of course, the feasibility of even keeping A.J. around depends on a lot of other things.

Of course...if we don't clear out the logjams in the Outfield and possibly in the infield, using our C as a DH is quite difficult. And using our C at DH without having a 3rd catcher is virtually impossible, with good reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
Of course...if we don't clear out the logjams in the Outfield and possibly in the infield, using our C as a DH is quite difficult. And using our C at DH without having a 3rd catcher is virtually impossible, with good reason.

I'm not following you. If you have two people on your roster capable of playing C at a high level, I don't see a need for a 3rd. Given that backup catchers typically don't hit any better than utility players, I don't see a problem with somebody like Nix DHing every once in a while if, say, Flowers catches and A.J. needs a day off. It's not like Castro is a better bat than Nix. Did the Tigers carry a 3rd catcher on their roster when they had both Pudge and Inge?

Agreed that the OF needs to be thinned out, and I'm assuming that happens this winter. At the very least, Pods is likely gone.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not following you. If you have two people on your roster capable of playing C at a high level, I don't see a need for a 3rd. Given that backup catchers typically don't hit any better than utility players, I don't see a problem with somebody like Nix DHing every once in a while if, say, Flowers catches and A.J. needs a day off. It's not like Castro is a better bat than Nix. Did the Tigers carry a 3rd catcher on their roster when they had both Pudge and Inge?

Agreed that the OF needs to be thinned out, and I'm assuming that happens this winter. At the very least, Pods is likely gone.

Here's the problem. Flowers DH's for a day. AJ starts at Catcher. Game gets the 5th inning and AJ takes a ball to the groin. Once we all stop laughing because AJ can't move, we realize...AJ can't move, and our other catcher is DHing for the day. Gavin Floyd then has to take at bats as our DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Here's the problem. Flowers DH's for a day. AJ starts at Catcher. Game gets the 5th inning and AJ takes a ball to the groin. Once we all stop laughing because AJ can't move, we realize...AJ can't move, and our other catcher is DHing for the day. Gavin Floyd then has to take at bats as our DH.

Nix or Wise can't DH in that situation?

I realize that you're potentially limited by putting two catchers in the lineup at the same time, but you'd also have an extra roster spot for a utility infielder or outfielder. Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly, but I don't see how it's a huge problem.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Nix or Wise can't DH in that situation?

I realize that you're potentially limited by putting two catchers in the lineup at the same time, but you'd also have an extra roster spot for a utility infielder or outfielder. Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly, but I don't see how it's a huge problem.

No, if you move someone from the DH to a field position then the DH gets repalced by the pitcher.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Well the Ol' Hawkeroo has been watchin AJ play since his days in Florida as a youngster when the oranges were in full bloom and the breeze was comin off the ocean don'tcha know.

Dadgummitt you do that everytime

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
No, if you move someone from the DH to a field position then the DH gets repalced by the pitcher.

Yes. That is why I couched my statement to say that would only work if one of your bench guys could also play C. The Sox do have some guys in the minors who play C and other positions - Logan Johnson for example - but none that are near major league ready.

SEATTLE - Ken Williams has been very upfront in addressing the concerns his players may have about their future with the White Sox beyond this season in the wake of more than $115 million in salary being brought in the last two weeks with the additions of Jake Peavy and Alex Rios.

"I don't know that we need to focus on anything right now other than winning,'' the Sox general manager said on Monday. "That's the idea - to win right now. I tell you this, there's a lot better chance of guys sticking around and our abilities to be able to make this work for everyone if we win. I have a tendency to get rid of people when we don't win. It's in everyone's best interest that we focus at the task at hand and you worry about that after the fact.''

That's not a problem for A.J. Pierzynski, considering the catcher wakes up in the morning already thinking about a way to beat that evening's opponent, but even Pierzynski admitted that it's only human nature to at least be somewhat concerned about 2010 and beyond.

Especially for a guy like Pierzynski who wants to finish his career on the South Side.

"Obviously I want to stay here, and I think everyone here knows I want to stay - [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] to [manager] Ozzie [Guillen] to Kenny, I have no reason to want to leave here at all. I've had good times here, great people, great organization, so I can't complain at all.

"At the same time it is baseball and things are out of my control. I've been traded before, I've been released, I've been through it. It's not something I look at right now and say, 'Oh, is this going to happen?' We'll see. I'm under contract for one more year. Obviously, if they want to trade me, they're not just going to let me walk, they'll trade me, and I can't say anything to change their mind. All I can do is go out and play as best I can and see what happens.''

The "through it'' Pierzynski was referring to was being the odd-man out from a team that had a younger, and at the time cheaper, catching option. When Joe Mauer was drafted by the Twins, Pierzynski knew his days were numbered.

The Sox acquired Tyler Flowers in the offseason, and the youngster continues to at least show he can hit on every minor-league level, entering Wednesday's game with a .300 average with Class AAA Charlotte.

"Like I said back in Minnesota when they Mauer, hopefully there's a team out there that still wants me and I can go play somewhere else if the White Sox don't want me anymore,'' Pierzynski added. "But again, that's not in my control.''

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/08...ts_to_stay.html