1st and 3rd vs Seattle on Wed.

Hawkfan

My drunken father was cussing at ozzie last night in the 8th inning for letting pods swing away instead of bunting with no outs and a man on 1st and 3rd. My Dad called his play the safety squeeze by the way. I told him i didn't like the idea because the corners were in so it would be very unlikely that the man on third scores unless it was a full squeeze play. You also risk the runner being thrown out at second. He backed his play by saying you get rid of the double play, and it puts pressure on the defense. He also stated how we had good speed on the bases. So is my drunken dad still smarter than me, or are his coaching methods a waste of outs and only for girls softball? I leave it up to you soxtalk.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Bunting is never a good idea. Unless, the pitcher is up and the pitcher can't hit for s***. Bunting significantly decreases the probablity of scoring a run in an inning. Why? Because we're giving up an out each and every time.

I am not commenting on last night's situation in particular.

But, who the hell taught you the game of baseball?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
I am not commenting on last night's situation in particular.

But, who the hell taught you the game of baseball?

Someone who has a brain?

I won't go so far as to say it's never a good idea (because there are some situations where it increases the odds of scoring one run, but that's only when you need just one run to take the lead/tie the game/etc.), but it's very rarely a good idea and is incredibly stupid in the majority of situations that it's used.

Edited by Felix

My drunken father was cussing at ozzie last night in the 8th inning for letting pods swing away instead of bunting with no outs and a man on 1st and 3rd. My Dad called his play the safety squeeze by the way. I told him i didn't like the idea because the corners were in so it would be very unlikely that the man on third scores unless it was a full squeeze play. You also risk the runner being thrown out at second. He backed his play by saying you get rid of the double play, and it puts pressure on the defense. He also stated how we had good speed on the bases. So is my drunken dad still smarter than me, or are his coaching methods a waste of outs and only for girls softball? I leave it up to you soxtalk.

No way. bunting is for losers. You play for 1 run, that's all you'll get (if that). Not swinging through 88 mph get me over fastballs, on the other hand, is a requirement. Hear that everybody not named Beckham?

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
Someone who has a brain?

I won't go so far as to say it's never a good idea (because there are some situations where it increases the odds of scoring one run, but that's only when you need just one run to take the lead/tie the game/etc.), but it's very rarely a good idea and is incredibly stupid in the majority of situations that it's used.

Way to contradict yourself.

Yes, people have been using the bunt for many years yet it's the worst play in baseball and it's NEVER a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of bunting 1st and 3rd with no outs, but the claim above is just baseball stupidity.

BTW, I remember this earlier in the summer:

C Getz walked.

G Beckham walked, C Getz to second.

J Danks grounded into fielder's choice to pitcher, G Beckham out at second, C Getz to third.

S Podsednik reached on bunt single to first, C Getz scored, J Danks to second.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (GordonNotDavid @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
No way. bunting is for losers. You play for 1 run, that's all you'll get (if that). Not swinging through 88 mph get me over fastballs, on the other hand, is a requirement. Hear that everybody not named Beckham?

Interesting. How many runs did we need to win last night's SCORELESS game?

Mind you I'm not calling for a bunt in that situation. But wow.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
Way to contradict yourself.

Yes, people have been using the bunt for many years yet it's the worst play in baseball and it's NEVER a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of bunting 1st and 3rd with no outs, but the claim above is just baseball stupidity.

BTW, I remember this earlier in the summer:

C Getz walked.

G Beckham walked, C Getz to second.

J Danks grounded into fielder's choice to pitcher, G Beckham out at second, C Getz to third.

S Podsednik reached on bunt single to first, C Getz scored, J Danks to second.

I don't see how I contradicted myself. I said that bunting is the right play in _some_ situations, but that situation isn't first and third and one out. I also said that the majority of situations when bunts are used (especially by Ozzie) are downright silly and end up hurting the team's run expectancy for that inning. You simply shouldn't be playing for just one run anytime before the 8th inning (which happens way more than it should).

Also, citing one instance of a bunt working with runners on first and third doesn't really mean anything.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
I wouldn't bunt with a guy on 3rd.

It's much easier to get a sac fly.

Not true. The suicide squeeze is effective 100% if executed properly. And unless you know it's coming, it's almost impossible to defend. Given that Podsednik is a very good bunter, I would have liked to see a suicide squeeze in that situation.

I don't understand why the suicide isn't used more with guys who can handle the bat.

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
I don't see how I contradicted myself. I said that bunting is the right play in _some_ situations, but that situation isn't first and third and one out. I also said that the majority of situations when bunts are used (especially by Ozzie) are downright silly and end up hurting the team's run expectancy for that inning. You simply shouldn't be playing for just one run anytime before the 8th inning (which happens way more than it should).

Also, citing one instance of a bunt working with runners on first and third doesn't really mean anything.

The portion highlighted was "bunting is never a good idea." I disagreed with that.

You basically agreed with the statement by disagreeing with me, then when on to explain how it can be used just fine. Contradiction. Take your stance as "it's sometimes OK."

And yes pointing out one time it worked means it does work more than "never." Oh, and on top of that, it was in that situation. Oops.

Mind you again I wasn't even wanting a bunt in that situation.

This is going to stir the traditionalists pot a bit more, but I happen to think that if a major league hitter (note, not a pitcher) can’t get a hit, draw a walk, hit the ball in the air, properly place a ball to on the ground, and instead has to willingly give himself up to advance a runner…. Well, that player probably shouldn’t be playing in the major leagues. In baseball we have 27 outs. Each and every one of those outs needs to be treated with the utmost importance.

I will chip in with the typical retrospective analysis that since we did not score, it was absolutely totally incomprehensible not to do a suicide squeeze in that situation because since we didn't try it I know it would have worked..........green

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
This is going to stir the traditionalists pot a bit more, but I happen to think that if a major league hitter (note, not a pitcher) can’t get a hit, draw a walk, hit the ball in the air, properly place a ball to on the ground, and instead has to willingly give himself up to advance a runner…. Well, that player probably shouldn’t be playing in the major leagues. In baseball we have 27 outs. Each and every one of those outs needs to be treated with the utmost importance.

Hitting the ball to the right side with a guy on 2nd (a really nice play) accomplishes the same thing as a bunt, so

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)

Your father, drunk or not, was correct in that situation. A safety squeeze would have been a great way to get one run in and the other in scoring position with one out. Pods is not a good candidate for a sac fly but he is a good bunter. With a runner on 1st, the first baseman could not have been playing in because he has to hold the runner on. He should have dragged a bunt down the line for an easy run. Pay attention to your father and by the way, show him a little respect too.