White Sox Should Make a Run at Billy Wagner

Chisoxfn

White Sox Should Make a Run at Billy Wagner

By Jason Gage

SoxNet

So Why, given all the uncertainty surrounding Wagner would I make the move?

When healthy (and I believe he is), Wagner is a premiere reliever (2.30 ERA in 2008, 2.40 Career ERA), who would immediately provide the Sox with 3 go-to relievers (Jenks, Thornton, Wagner). Combine that with one of the best rotations in baseball (Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, and Jose/Freddy) and an offense that now has a pretty good combination of speed and power and Sox fans shouldn't just expect a post-season run, they should expect a World Series Championship.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wagner >>> Randy Williams

I signed up for this a while ago and am still on board.

His rehab assignment so far: 6IP, 0R, 3H, 0BB, 0HBP, 0WP, 8K and supposedly hitting mid-90's.

If he clears waivers he should take talent to acquire, especially if we want to get some salary shaved off, but he shouldn't cost anything all that great in terms of prospects. I propose a deal where we split the buyout, pay a little bit of salary this year, then send them a good but lower-ceiling prospect or two.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
pipe dream.

No.

Wagner missed half of last year and all of this year and will not qualify for compensation. He has a $1M buyout on a $10.5M option that is definitely not getting exercised from a team that is already paying KRod and Putz. The Mets are way out of the race and if he's healthy, expect him to be traded because there is always a demand for good power lefties.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
No.

Wagner missed half of last year and all of this year and will not qualify for compensation. He has a $1M buyout on a $10.5M option that is definitely not getting exercised from a team that is already paying KRod and Putz. The Mets are way out of the race and if he's healthy, expect him to be traded because there is always a demand for good power lefties.

So basically there's not a chance in hell he clears waivers to get through the NL to us...

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
So basically there's not a chance in hell he clears waivers to get through the NL to us...

Well, Jason says he's owed $1.75M the rest of this year plus the $1M option. Most contending teams are probably at their salary limit or beyond it and would need authorization to claim him on waivers knowing the Mets would in all likelihood dump Wagner's deal if a trade could not be worked out. Danys Baez is only owed half that and yet he has cleared waivers despite being healthy and having a halfway decent year. Wagner hasn't pitched in the Majors for a year.

It's possible Wagner hasn't even hit waivers yet. Maybe the Mets will wait for his rehab to finish and then call him up to showcase him for a game in the Majors. That would drive up more interest, but then it would also make it tougher getting through waivers. Or maybe he has already cleared waivers, or maybe he has already been claimed. We don't know.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Baez, righty with 1.20 WHIP...i'd be interested. Shouldve been more interested in him than Tony P

Baez has been a mess since he has been with the Orioles, plus he just came off major arm surgery. Pena, on the other hand, has been one of the better relievers for the past 3 years in terms of holds. I dont want Baez, that guy is prone to giving up the longball

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
he would be quite a get, it would make Thorntons job much more consistent as well, especially with Jenks' recent injury problems

Jenks has given up a grand total of two hits, one walk, and zero runs in his last four appearances. Funny how he's suddenly pitching better without kidney stone pain.

That said, I'm all for Wagner at that price. A bullpen of Thornton, Wagner, and Jenks would be VERY formidable.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Jenks has given up a grand total of two hits, one walk, and zero runs in his last four appearances. Funny how he's suddenly pitching better without kidney stone pain.

That said, I'm all for Wagner at that price. A bullpen of Thornton, Wagner, and Jenks would be VERY formidable.

I like Jenks. all I am saying is that Wagner gives the sox a very nice security blanket for setup AND closer

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
I like Jenks. all I am saying is that Wagner gives the sox a very nice security blanket for setup AND closer

Sorry, I wasn't directing those comments towards you specifically. Agreed that Wagner is a bonus to the Sox bullpen, regardless of his role.