The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
I got it for my bday along with tiki mugs, swizzles, and a copy of Vintage Cocktails Revisited. Pretty awesome. I definitely used a homemade grenadine with Pom and turbinado. Really good stuff. I even put it on waffles once.

Thanks for the suggestions! I assume I can just make a passion fruit syrup from the Goya passion fruit nectar? I would follow the recipe on tiki central. Looks like a fun time for nerds...like me.

I whipped up a Waikikean using my homemade orgeat over the Trader Tiki (let's face it, mine is better). Super delicious. I might even up the orgeat. I love orgeat in the mai tai and the waikikean, but I can't stand the Japanese Cocktail. Maybe it's a brandy problem...

People who have tried To reduce sweetened passionfruit nectar to syrup usually report poor results. Better to make it fro frozen Goya passionfruit pulp with added sugar, or to just use the nectar but dibble the amount every time syrup is called for.

What is the Japanese recipe you are using? So far, that is the one cocktail where a thinner and less flavorful commercial orgeat works better than homemade for me. the Trinidad sour is another where commercial orgeat works well, but lately i have been using homemade but at half the recipe amount.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made it out to night 2 of a really good three-day Belgian beer fest last night with the wife and some friends. 35 taps rotating through 50 different Belgian and Belgian-styled beers during the three days. The beers that we sampled yesterday included:

• LaRulles Cuvee Meilluers Vouex dark ale (7.3% abv)

• Barbar Bock dark ale (8% abv)

• Gouden Carolus Tripel — an outstanding, spicy and complex tripel (9% abv)

• Avec Les Bons Voeux saison/farmhouse ale — another standout of the evening

• De Glazen Toren Jan de Lichte strong witbier (7% abv)

• Gulden Draak dark tripel (10.5% abv)

• Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer strong dark ale (11% abv)

• Rodenbach Grand Cru Flemmish red sour ale — excellent! (6% abv)

• Duchesse de Bourgogne Flemmish red sour ale (6.2% abv)

• De Dolle Oerbier strong dark ale (10.5% abv)

• St. Feuillien Noel holiday beer — oxidized and past its prime, the only off beer of the evening (9% abv)

Trying to now figure out how to sneak back out this evening to Day 3 to stry some of the others, but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Made it out to night 2 of a really good three-day Belgian beer fest last night with the wife and some friends. 35 taps rotating through 50 different Belgian and Belgian-styled beers during the three days. The beers that we sampled yesterday included:

• LaRulles Cuvee Meilluers Vouex dark ale (7.3% abv)

• Barbar Bock dark ale (8% abv)

• Gouden Carolus Tripel — an outstanding, spicy and complex tripel (9% abv)

• Avec Les Bons Voeux saison/farmhouse ale — another standout of the evening

• De Glazen Toren Jan de Lichte strong witbier (7% abv)

• Gulden Draak dark tripel (10.5% abv)

• Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer strong dark ale (11% abv)

• Rodenbach Grand Cru Flemmish red sour ale — excellent! (6% abv)

• Duchesse de Bourgogne Flemmish red sour ale (6.2% abv)

• De Dolle Oerbier strong dark ale (10.5% abv)

• St. Feuillien Noel holiday beer — oxidized and past its prime, the only off beer of the evening (9% abv)

Trying to now figure out how to sneak back out this evening to Day 3 to stry some of the others, but I don't think I'll be able to pull it off.

THe Bon Voeux was one of the best I had in my trip to Belgium, I believe I mentioned it in here or the drunk thread a while back.

I absolutely adore Belgium beers, very high alcohol % but at the same time they are the tastiest beers I have ever had.

Can't wait to be back there and in Germany in about a month and a half.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
People who have tried To reduce sweetened passionfruit nectar to syrup usually report poor results. Better to make it fro frozen Goya passionfruit pulp with added sugar, or to just use the nectar but dibble the amount every time syrup is called for.

What is the Japanese recipe you are using? So far, that is the one cocktail where a thinner and less flavorful commercial orgeat works better than homemade for me. the Trinidad sour is another where commercial orgeat works well, but lately i have been using homemade but at half the recipe amount.

My attempt to find passion fruit anything failed. The closest are Goya cocktail which has the decency to contain passion fruit. Welches is actually pineapple and orange juice.

So I will have to try a specialty store.

The Japanese cocktail recipe I think is: 2 tbls of orgeat to 2 oz of brandy. I would look it up but that would require getting off the couch.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
My attempt to find passion fruit anything failed. The closest are Goya cocktail which has the decency to contain passion fruit. Welches is actually pineapple and orange juice.

So I will have to try a specialty store.

The Japanese cocktail recipe I think is: 2 tbls of orgeat to 2 oz of brandy. I would look it up but that would require getting off the couch.

http://productlocator.infores.com/productl...searchradius=40

Try those places.

I have gone through the same arduous passionfruit juice/nectar and syrup hunt for years. I used to only be able to get the Goya passionfruit cocktail in Orlando so I'd have to stock up with a several-months supply when I could. Recently it has shown up in local grocery stores but it is stocked very sporadically.

For passionfruit syrup, I originally tried the Torani which is totally artificial and worked poorly in most cocktails. The. I took the Beachbum's advise and mail-ordered the Finest Call passionfruit purée which was actually surprisingly high-quality for being a Finest Call product. I bought two bottles of that andI literally have about one ounce left so I will be doing homemade in the next week or so. In the frozen section at the store you can sometimes find Goya passionfruit pulp so I will try using that.

I may have posted my preferred Japanese recipe here before, but I will repost it when I get a chance to look it up. It has maraschino liqueur in it which I know can be a b**** to find, but it really brings the drink together.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)

Yep, that is a good list of my regular stops when I'm on an ingredient hunt. Now if you can find a local source for gimme syrup I will be forever in your debt.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)

Good stuff at a good price, until you end up paying twice as much in shipping.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
THe Bon Voeux was one of the best I had in my trip to Belgium, I believe I mentioned it in here or the drunk thread a while back.

I absolutely adore Belgium beers, very high alcohol % but at the same time they are the tastiest beers I have ever had.

Can't wait to be back there and in Germany in about a month and a half.

The Bon Vouex could very easily take Dupont's place as my go to saison if outlets around here start to stock it regularly.

Did you try any cafe-blended guezue while you were in Belgium? I'm dying to make that beer pilgrimage.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Now if you can find a local source for gimme syrup I will be forever in your debt.

MILAMS MARKETS #1519

(3.6 miles)

2300 E OCEAN BLVD

STUART, Florida

walmart

(45 miles)

old boynton rd

boynton beach, Florida

BED, BATH & BEYOND

(71.1 miles)

12801 W. SUNRISE BLVD.

SUNRISE, Florida

(954) 846-0020

Cost Plus World Market

(79.33 miles)

2221 Town Center Ave, Suite 135

Melbourne, Florida

(321) 504-7223

Cost Plus World Market

(80.05 miles)

11960 Pines Blvd

Pembroke Pines, Florida

MILAMS MARKETS #1526

(98.66 miles)

2969 SW 32ND AVE

MIAMI, Florida

I had a good beer weekend in Asheville. Tried some of the local stuff (Highland's Gaelic Ale, Asheville Brewing Company's Shiva, and Biltmore's Cedric's Pale Ale), some stuff from around the country that I hadn't seen before (Foothills Brewing Co's Sexual Chocolate and Green Flash Brewing's Fizzy Yellow Beer), and a nice selection of Belgians on tap. Many of these were at the Thirsty Monk, which is a great beer bar if anyone is ever in the Asheville area.

Unfortunately, the weather was a bit too cold to be outside as much as we wanted, but the beer made up for it!

I don't know if any if those will work. I I think I need 100% passion fruit.

Meanwhile I took a night away from the cocktails opting for an Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds. Palate blasting hops. I'm starting to run low on my Christmas supply. I need to gather a list for a trip to Table and Vine.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
The Bon Vouex could very easily take Dupont's place as my go to saison if outlets around here start to stock it regularly.

Did you try any cafe-blended guezue while you were in Belgium? I'm dying to make that beer pilgrimage.

I didn't but that will be on my list to try on my next trip.

I can't wait to get back to the store where they have 780 Belgium beers for sale, many with their specialty glasses for purchase too. That's a lot of different beers for a small country lol.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
I don't know if any if those will work. I I think I need 100% passion fruit.

Meanwhile I took a night away from the cocktails opting for an Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds. Palate blasting hops. I'm starting to run low on my Christmas supply. I need to gather a list for a trip to Table and Vine.

Is Arctic Panzer Wolf a one-off or a annual brew? I wish we got Three Floyds here.

Having taken my beer break yesterday, I'm back in Rumland, trying my hand at infusing my own fresh coconut rum for the first time. Tired of the artificial taste of every single commercial coconut rum out there.

I'll let you know how it turns out in two weeks when it's ready.