The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 1, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Anyone a fan of the Sierra Nevada Glissade? I've been trying more Sierra Nevada due to my unnatural love of their Celebration Ale, and I'm also becoming a big fan of the Glissade.

I think Glissade is pretty good myself. I had only had it in bottle form until this past week and it was quite good on draft.

That said, it was the least memorable beer of the evening, but that was because I was at a Sierra Nevada beer event that you would have flipped for. At the start of the event they were serving up Glissade and their regular and Pale Ale, but also had tapped a keg of their wonderful wet hopped Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale and a keg of 2011 Bigfoot. I thoroughly enjoyed the Northern and opted away from the Bigfoot because I had to drive home and was also saving my tastebuds for the really special things to come.

A couple of hours into the evening, the bar tapped a sixtel (5 gallon 1/6th keg) each of the 30th Anniversary Grand Cru as well as the star attraction of the evening, the much-anticipated whole-cone Hoptimum Imperial IPA. An amazingly easy-drinking 10.5% abv/100 1BU beer made with lots of Magnum, Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe hops as well as a new proprietary Sierra strain that they are not revealing much about. I had enjoyed the bottled Grand Cru a few months earlier, and he draft version was excellent. This was probably my favorite of the various 30th Anniversary releases, and it gets my mouth watering in anticipation of the Ovila Abby beers slated for release in a couple of months. As for the Hoptimum, I wish the bar was a stumble away from home rather than an hour's drive because one pint of that was not enough. I'm sure it will be at least another year before the place manages to get their hands on another keg of the stuff.

Yummy stuff for sure.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 2, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I think Glissade is pretty good myself. I had only had it in bottle form until this past week and it was quite good on draft.

That said, it was the least memorable beer of the evening, but that was because I was at a Sierra Nevada beer event that you would have flipped for. At the start of the event they were serving up Glissade and their regular and Pale Ale, but also had tapped a keg of their wonderful wet hopped Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale and a keg of 2011 Bigfoot. I thoroughly enjoyed the Northern and opted away from the Bigfoot because I had to drive home and was also saving my tastebuds for the really special things to come.

A couple of hours into the evening, the bar tapped a sixtel (5 gallon 1/6th keg) each of the 30th Anniversary Grand Cru as well as the star attraction of the evening, the much-anticipated whole-cone Hoptimum Imperial IPA. An amazingly easy-drinking 10.5% abv/100 1BU beer made with lots of Magnum, Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe hops as well as a new proprietary Sierra strain that they are not revealing much about. I had enjoyed the bottled Grand Cru a few months earlier, and he draft version was excellent. This was probably my favorite of the various 30th Anniversary releases, and it gets my mouth watering in anticipation of the Ovila Abby beers slated for release in a couple of months. As for the Hoptimum, I wish the bar was a stumble away from home rather than an hour's drive because one pint of that was not enough. I'm sure it will be at least another year before the place manages to get their hands on another keg of the stuff.

Yummy stuff for sure.

That's just awesome!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Ommegang Gnomegang is an exceptional beer that I cannot begin to say enough good things about. Get it while you can, if you can.

Damn, thanks for reminding me! I forgot all about that collaboration. I've been waiting since it was announced in December.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Damn, thanks for reminding me! I forgot all about that collaboration. I've been waiting since it was announced in December.

It's really great, I just had it on draft this afternoon. Ostensibly a free-form Belgian-style golden ale, it came off as a total tripel to me and a very good one at that.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 10:28 PM)
I assume the local wines are wonderful as well, yes?

first night here so didnt get a chance to try yet, my friend im travleing iwth doesnt like beer or wine so its hard but im definitely trying it while here.

The Mixoloseum theme tonight for TDN is "free form". I think I typically come up with more creative cocktails when the themes are a little better defined ("bitters" or "Demerara rum", for example), but I think I have a pretty good submission this evening.

(Looks good conceptually, at least, as I haven't actually mixed it up yet).

A riff on one of several Olympic Variation cocktails in the CocktailDB, I hope to wow the boozebloggers with the Flippin' Good Flip:

- 2 oz cognac

- 1 oz kahlua

- 1 oz cream

- 1 whole egg

Shake without ice to emulsify egg, then shake well with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe and dust with fresh fine ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and dark chocolate.

Looks like a winner to me.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

farmteam started an interesting conversation in the bars thread regarding his perception that craft beer snobs tend to look down on fellow beer drinkers if they are not heavy hopheads. I started to reply in that thread, but didn't want to derail the main focus of the thread, so instead I'll take my observations over here.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
I feel like there's some sort of mentality among craft brew snobs that if you don't like IPAs (or anything real hoppy), you're a pansy. Granted, I've talked to a few brewers themselves, and they say that's not the case at all...the common theme was, "If we brew it, we like it."

As a general rule, I don't think your perception of hop-head snobbery is too far off the mark in the American craft beer world, though I think most brewers wort their salt are a bit more broad-minded.

My personal take on it is that hops are the most versatile ingredient in the over-the-top/turn the classics on their head American craft beer mindset so most journeymen craft enthusiasts quickly home in on hops as the defining element of the beers they prefer. Hops flavors and aromas are more hit-you-on-the-head as far as perceptibility, so it's an easy entry point into craft beer appreciation. High hop levels are also very much a signature element in American classic craft styles, so hophead love fests are a fine homage to home-grown ale styles.

On the other hand, when you talk beer with drinkers who have had a craft beer passion for 10 or 20 years, the conversation gets way more nuanced and you focus on the subtle difference different yeasts or different fermentation temperatures bring, or how much Brettanomyces horse sweat flavor is appropriate for wood-aged Belgian ales, etc. Even with hops, veteran craft beer folks will get more nerdy and talk about the pros and cons of using a big-guns bittering hop like chinook or magnum in the hopback or secondary fermenter rather than as a high-alpha kettle hop.

I'm personally an absolute hophead when that's what I'm in the mood for — which is quite often. Then again, some of my absolute favorite beer styles (gueuze, witbier, Bvarian weisse, Berliner weisse, Flemish sours, Trappist tripels, even trad British cask bitters) are decidedly unhoppy.

For what it's worth, I've also witnessed the evolution of out-and-out hopheads from people who started out really not digging aggressively hopped beers. It comes down to broadening our appreciation for the diversity of styles and flavors that comes over time I think. I think we're even seeing G&T in this very thread start to enjoy hoppy beers quite a bit more than he did not too long ago.

Thoughts?

I think farmteam's view is pretty accurate, on average. The craft brewing industry has advanced far enough that there are beer snobs on par with the wine snobs out there. However, I think true beer lovers just want everyone to find something that they like. Sometimes what comes off as snobby, like encouraging someone to step out of the mainstream, is really just an effort to get someone to find a whole different set of beers and hopefully find something that they really like. When I first tried really hoppy beers, I wasn't a fan; now, I really enjoy a glass or two of some hop-heavy beers (like Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster). However, I also really enjoy other beers as well across a variety of styles. One of my favorite things is seasonal beers and switching my main "fridge stocked" beers as the seasons change (darker beers in the winter, lighter beers in the summer). I think we're in a "golden age" of brewing - and I love it!

I'm not surprised farmteam feels that way, but I think the hop attraction is something that people first entering the craft beer world first experience. Most american brewers make IPAs and other hoppy beers, so those that don't go outside their comfort zone have no idea what else is out there. Especially if you live in Chicago where 3 Floyds is so dominant and Goose Island's flagships are pale ales. I wouldn't doubt that the same hop snobs have no idea about belgian styles, or milds, and certainly have no clue about a good kolsch.

Brewers, of course, know better. They brew what they like, but experience everything out there.

When I got into beer, BA and Ratebeer were all about IBU's. Arrogant Bastard was king. I hated it. Couldn't drink it, didn't want it. I found belgians because Paulaner was on draft at a lot of restaurants here. I just meandered my way through those styles. It was only recently that I started into hoppy beers, and that's because I got them as gifts. I know I'm probably in the minority though.

Of course, if someone tried to give me nonsense about drinking non-hoppy beers, I would kick their ass...in a debate.

My advice to anyone dabbling in beer is to seek out what you like, learn about it, and expand from there.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
The man was an absolute giant in the beer world. Honestly, though, i mistakenly thought he had died a few years ago. Shows what I know.

I actually thought the same thing.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
For what it's worth, I've also witnessed the evolution of out-and-out hopheads from people who started out really not digging aggressively hopped beers.

I remember my first ever IPA was a Lagunitas, and the very first taste of it i disliked so much that i could not even finish the drink. I thought it tasted like water from an ashtray that was left in the backyard. Now, I absolutely love IPA's, and coming from a guy that at first HATED the taste of them I totally understand people that drink with me that say they prefer something smoother. I basically forced my taste buds to enjoy the taste of it and haven't looked back :)

Recap from Belgium

Decent Beers:

La Chouffe

Rochefort 8

Delirium Nocturnum

Bellevue Kriek

Good Beers:

XX Bitter

Delirium Tremens

Augustijn

Saison Dupont

Bels Pilsener

Straffe Hendrix Tripel

Brugse Zot (same brewer as the beer above)

Great Beers:

Moinette - Jim, this is from Dupont Brewers, the same that did Avec Bons Vouex (and Saison Dupont), they quickly moved up to one of my favorite brewers

De Garre- a local only beer served only in a very small bar, 12% and served with cheese, absolutely delicious of a beer

Straffe Hendrix Quad - the best from the local brewery in Bruges, blew the Tripel out of the park

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Recap from Belgium

Decent Beers:

La Chouffe

Rochefort 8

Delirium Nocturnum

Bellevue Kriek

Good Beers:

XX Bitter

Delirium Tremens

Augustijn

Saison Dupont

Bels Pilsener

Straffe Hendrix Tripel

Great Beers:

Moinette - Jim, this is from Dupont Brewers, the same that did Avec Bons Vouex (and Saison Dupont), they quickly moved up to one of my favorite brewers

De Garre- a local only beer served only in a very small bar, 12% and served with cheese, absolutely delicious of a beer

Straffe Hendrix Quad - the best from the local brewery in Bruges, blew the Tripel out of the park

If La Chouffe is only decent I have to hang out with you. La Chouffe is a personal favorite.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Recap from Belgium

Decent Beers:

La Chouffe

Rochefort 8

Delirium Nocturnum

Bellevue Kriek

Good Beers:

XX Bitter

Delirium Tremens

Augustijn

Saison Dupont

Bels Pilsener

Straffe Hendrix Tripel

Great Beers:

Consider me insanely jealous, what a great experience in the Disneyland of Beers. :headbang

I have had all of your "Decent Beers" (and I agree with G&T you are a hard grader), three of your "Good Beers" (Delirium Tremens.Augustijn, Saison Dupont), and none of your "Great Beers". I'm sure they would all taste three orders of magnitude better in a Belgian bar or cafe. :cheers

I note that blended gueuze lambics are entirely absent from the list. Is that due to Bruges beating out Brussels for your attention on your visit?

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
If La Chouffe is only decent I have to hang out with you. La Chouffe is a personal favorite.

Ha, it just wasn't to my taste, I know a ton of people at the bar were loving it. But my brother and I agreed (along with my friend who doesnt like beer so he doesn't really count) that it just wasn't that great.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
Consider me insanely jealous, what a great experience in the Disneyland of Beers. :headbang

I have had all of your "Decent Beers" (and I agree with G&T you are a hard grader), three of your "Good Beers" (Delirium Tremens.Augustijn, Saison Dupont), and none of your "Great Beers". I'm sure they would all taste three orders of magnitude better in a Belgian bar or cafe. :cheers

I note that blended gueuze lambics are entirely absent from the list. Is that due to Bruges beating out Brussels for your attention on your visit?

Although I may have labeled them wrong, it is meant to show just how great that last list of beers was.

Jim, if you really liked Saison Dupont and Avec Bons Vouex make sure you try the Moinette, probably my favorite beer from the trip. My brother, who is a huge beer fan and is actually a homebrewer of about 3 years (he's only 24) and has won a few local awards, said that Moinette was his second favorite, behind De Garre. WHich, unfortunately you would have to go out to Bruges to try.

And yes, we were limited to only 2 nights in Belgium, both in Bruges. I went to Brussels in my last trip ther, but found the city to not have as much historical sights or culture to see. So with only 2 nights for that part of the trip I decided to only take us to Bruges.

We're now in Berlin, any suggestions for some good German beers?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 04:26 AM)
Although I may have labeled them wrong, it is meant to show just how great that last list of beers was.

Jim, if you really liked Saison Dupont and Avec Bons Vouex make sure you try the Moinette, probably my favorite beer from the trip. My brother, who is a huge beer fan and is actually a homebrewer of about 3 years (he's only 24) and has won a few local awards, said that Moinette was his second favorite, behind De Garre. WHich, unfortunately you would have to go out to Bruges to try.

And yes, we were limited to only 2 nights in Belgium, both in Bruges. I went to Brussels in my last trip ther, but found the city to not have as much historical sights or culture to see. So with only 2 nights for that part of the trip I decided to only take us to Bruges.

We're now in Berlin, any suggestions for some good German beers?

The oldest and most famous Berlin Beer Garden is Prater Biergarten dating back to the 1830s. That would be a must-do stop for me. If you make it there or to any of the large biergartens please take a photo and post it.

Though you will be able to find a lot of variety I'm sure, THE endemic Berlin beer is Berliner Weisse, which is a world classic style. Very light in color, body, and alcohol, with just a slight tartness to most and a sharper tartness in some. Traditionally a dash of raspberry syrup or woodruff syrup are added to sweeten. It's not necessary and i like it both with and without syrup.