The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
Sprecher's Tripel is surprisingly good, especially for the price. Lakefront is a solid brewery as well. Closer to Madison we have Vintage (which ranges from decent to outstanding) and O'so and Tyranena (both in the solid category).

The beer that's easiest micro to get around here is from Ale Asylum. Unfortunately, they are a consistent disappointment aside from their belgian IPA, which is awesome.

Lakefront makes a belgian white that's pretty darn good. That's all I've had from there, there.

Tyranena and Capitol are decent too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 25, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Got my brother a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for Christmas, one of the few bottles he doesn't have in his collection :P

Drinking some of his homemade honey mead right now, pretty damn good.

Enjoyed some Lagavulin 16 over the weekend at my folks' place. Love that stuff. I usually only shell out for Laphroiag or Ardbeg 10, so the Lagavulin is always a treat.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 2, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Very Cool.

If he sends me some I'll be happy to judge his mead as well. :D

Haha well he does bottle and distribute to friends and family that request it locally (he doesn't ship it). In terms of the mead, he entered in a cherry mead, took advantage of the Michigan tart cherries that are renown in the area.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
One of my college roommates lives in Madison now and was head over heels when he finally got to try Pliny the Elder.

How did he get it? They do not distribute anywhere between Colorado and Pennsylvania.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
How did he get it? They do not distribute anywhere between Colorado and Pennsylvania.

Not sure. He was just really excited a few months ago because he was trying it at long last. I'll have to ask him.

EDIT: Some people he knew went on a vacation to California and brought it back for him.

Edited by farmteam

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
Anybody who enjoys microbrews should definitely check out Asheville, NC and the surrounding areas. I just got back. We hit 15 different breweries in 5 days. Very cool, laid back place surrounded by the Smoky Mountains.

We do allright :).

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 12:09 AM)
Went here tonight:

http://threedotschicago.com/

Made me think of this thread and Jim.

And how was it?!?? I am hoping to make a Chicago trip in the coming year and Three Dots is at the top of my to do list. I hope they get it right as far as the quality of the classic Tiki drinks goes. Love their signature sea urchin ceramic mug.

Three%20Dots%20and%20a%20Dash%20-%20Cust

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
And how was it?!?? I am hoping to make a Chicago trip in the coming year and Three Dots is at the top of my to do list. I hope they get it right as far as the quality of the classic Tiki drinks goes. Love their signature sea urchin ceramic mug.

It was good, obviously more expensive than a normal bar. We got there at maybe 7-8 and there was a line (mostly just for show). Id suggest getting a table because otherwise it can be awkward standing with the large drinks.

I got a banana daiquiri because well usually I cant get a drink like that without being judged at a normal bar. We also had one of the big drinks, but didnt get the one that was one fire. Overall Id say its a good place, thee drinks take a few minutes to make and kind of annoying when there are people sitting at the bar.

• 6 months later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
Made homemade limoncello and am sipping it on ice in the sun.good day.

I just got back from Italy and was looking to make some. What was your recipe?

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I just got back from Italy and was looking to make some. What was your recipe?

Honestly pretty simple. Luckily have a nice cool spot in my house that stays consistent temp.

I peeled 15 lemons and cut any excess pulp away. Put the peels in a 750 mL mason jar and filled it to the top with vodka (grain alcohol would be more traditional).

We let it sit for 3 weeks, and mixed it with 2 cups of simple syrup. The simple syrup recipe is probably where tastes will differ. I think we did .75 cups of sugar to 1 cup water.