The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I have not had Founder's Porter, and unfortunately Founder's southern distribution ends at the Georgia-Florida border.

Have you mixed along with Tiare and her sporadic "Mixing Through the Grog Log" blog endeavor? She's still only 20 or so drinks in, but I quite enjoy whipping up each entry she posts and also taking a stab at her remixed variations when I have suitable or substitutable ingredients to do so. As you head through her entries, the comments by Sunny&Rummy are me (which is probably easy to guess by reading them).

Many of my Grog Log faves might already be some of yours as well. Off the top of my head, the Ancient Mariner, Boo Loo, Noa Noa, Rum Barrel, Coconaut are all among my long-time favorites.

eta: The two American Whiskeys I have been nipping at are Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon and Russel's Reserve 6 Year Rye. The Four Roses is really nice, you can sip it neat all night and be perfectly content. The 90 proof Russel's Reserve has a bit of burn and bite to it compared to some of the other ryes I have become fond of (even other high proofs like Bulleit), but once you acclimate to that it is really outstanding.

I have not followed Tiare though I frequent her blog. Always good stuff there. My favs are the Sidewinder and Spindrift because passion fruit syrup is an addiction for me. I love a Coconaut when I'm in the mood for coco lopez but that hasn't been the case recently. Actually, I haven't tried that with the Coruba and I suspect that would be real good but I'm almost down an entire bottle of the stuff in the last month (granted my family drank a good chunk at Christmas).

Whether rightly or wrongly I grabbed a bottle of Sazerac yesterday. I really liked it actually. A bit sweeter than any whisky I've tried before so it's a good intro for me. Did a decent job in a Port Light though I'm not convinced it had the power to shine over a good grenadine.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Had Fat Tire for the first time last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Also got a VIP bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon for Christmas. My goodness was that delicious.

Fat Tire and all the New Belgium Brewing stuff has yet to make its way to Florida. :angry:

And Woodford Reserve is delicious indeed. I wondered though when I saw the VIP for sale online. . . Is that just the normal Woodford Reserve but in a personalized bottle and gift box or is it a different bourbon blend altogether?

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
I have not followed Tiare though I frequent her blog. Always good stuff there. My favs are the Sidewinder and Spindrift because passion fruit syrup is an addiction for me. I love a Coconaut when I'm in the mood for coco lopez but that hasn't been the case recently. Actually, I haven't tried that with the Coruba and I suspect that would be real good but I'm almost down an entire bottle of the stuff in the last month (granted my family drank a good chunk at Christmas).

Whether rightly or wrongly I grabbed a bottle of Sazerac yesterday. I really liked it actually. A bit sweeter than any whisky I've tried before so it's a good intro for me. Did a decent job in a Port Light though I'm not convinced it had the power to shine over a good grenadine.

Can't forget the Grog Log high octane Hurricane if you want an excellent place to park your passionfruit syrup. The last time I made one of those I used equal parts Coruba and Smith & Cross and it was killer. And, yes, the Coruba really does make the Coconaut too.

Which Sazerac, the 6 year? I have yet to track down any of the Sazerac ryes, but by most accounts the Saz 6 is a very acceptable mid-price rye similar to the Russell's (WITH TWO Ls!! See, I can be taught.). The Sazerac 18 and the Sazerac Thomas Handy barrel strength ryes are supposed to be among the best of the best craft distillery ryes and I am dying to get a hold of them. I'm also still trying to scare up a bottle of Rittenhouse 100-proof which is a steel for the price ($20 or less) if you can find it and is supposed to be on every self-respecting cocktail geek's shelf. I thought I had a bottle coming down with my parents this winter from Binny's but they were out of stock. I forgave my parents because they did manage to bring me two bottles of Lemon Hart 151, a bottle of Bols Genever, and a bottle of Maalort, but I still am without Rittenhouse 100.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
Fat Tire and all the New Belgium Brewing stuff has yet to make its way to Florida. :angry:

And Woodford Reserve is delicious indeed. I wondered though when I saw the VIP for sale online. . . Is that just the normal Woodford Reserve but in a personalized bottle and gift box or is it a different bourbon blend altogether?

From what I understand, it's just that you get a personalized bottle and awesome wooden gift box. But it may be aged a little longer.

My roommates decided to go out to downtown Champaign instead of staying on campus this past Friday, and man do the more "upscale" bars make drinks stronger.

My roommate went up to the bar and ordered us rum and cokes and he described the pour as this: "rum, rum, rum, and a sip of coke to add color."

That said, fun night out, lots of drinking including a few Dead Guy Rogue Ales which tasted excellent while hammered.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
From your part of the country I have recently gotten hooked on Bell's.

I always enjoy when my brother visits from SW Michigan as he brings in a ton of Bell's products, just a fantastic brewery.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
I had a lot of Bells back when I was in GR, but I graduated. Back in Chicago now.

Chicago has a ton a Bells. The beauty of Bells and Founders is that they are awesome, and a lot of people ignore them in favor of 3 Floyds.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
Which Sazerac, the 6 year? I have yet to track down any of the Sazerac ryes, but by most accounts the Saz 6 is a very acceptable mid-price rye similar to the Russell's (WITH TWO Ls!! See, I can be taught.). The Sazerac 18 and the Sazerac Thomas Handy barrel strength ryes are supposed to be among the best of the best craft distillery ryes and I am dying to get a hold of them. I'm also still trying to scare up a bottle of Rittenhouse 100-proof which is a steel for the price ($20 or less) if you can find it and is supposed to be on every self-respecting cocktail geek's shelf. I thought I had a bottle coming down with my parents this winter from Binny's but they were out of stock. I forgave my parents because they did manage to bring me two bottles of Lemon Hart 151, a bottle of Bols Genever, and a bottle of Maalort, but I still am without Rittenhouse 100.

Indeed it is the 6 year rye. And acceptable is all I was looking for!

I forgot to post this but for my birthday we went to a restaurant nearby that prides itself on real margaritas. So I got one with Herradura Reposado and I can tell you it was pretty amazing. The rich brown sugar finish really rounded out a properly made margarita. Smooth as silk, with just the right amount of lime. Best margarita I've had (even better than I make at home...but then I've never used an aged tequila).

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
I forgot to post this but for my birthday we went to a restaurant nearby that prides itself on real margaritas. So I got one with Herradura Reposado and I can tell you it was pretty amazing. The rich brown sugar finish really rounded out a properly made margarita. Smooth as silk, with just the right amount of lime. Best margarita I've had (even better than I make at home...but then I've never used an aged tequila).

The Herradura reposado and añjeo are really good teqilas. And for home use if you don't want to spend that kind of dough, the Antiguo line is a great bargain on some really good tequilas. Supposedly until a few years ago the Antiguo was the House of Herradura product made just for private consumption of family and friends. One of the better reposados I have had at the @ $25 price point, and their blanco is nice and crisp too with lots of agave nose and flavor.

After another diet week with no weeknight drinking, I think some tequila sipping tonight is definitely in order.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Chicago has a ton a Bells. The beauty of Bells and Founders is that they are awesome, and a lot of people ignore them in favor of 3 Floyds.

That's too funny, the Chicago folks are talking about Bell's and I'm drinking a 312 right now! Big fan of Bell's, sometimes I bring some back to Illinois for people when I visit.

Made it out to Hill's Farmstead today. Had a tasting of 6 outrageously good beers especially for hop heads. Including Society and Solitude 1 and 2 which weigh in with over 100 IBUs but are smooth complex beer. 2 is truly a masterpiece but at 180 claimed IBUs I was in over my head after the 2 oz tasting.

Instead I opted to take home 2 saisons (Anna and Authur), Foster ( black wheat IPA), and Everett (a truly amazing porter). I'm drinking Foster now. The nose is of pine but with some good swirling the aroma of bitter cocoa comes out. There is some strong apple notes as well. The flavor is a nice smooth grapefruit with a sweet yet crisp finish.

My wife is drinking the Authur (an American Saison) which is awesome. Plenty of fruit and banana with some pine in th nose. Crisp apples with a hint of tart lemon. An excellent American Saison.

Popped my growler of Hill Farmstead Everett porter. Pours deep black with nice rich brown head and decent lacing. Surprised it actually survived this long. Nose of chocolate and just a nice hint of smoke. It was smokier in our tasting at the brewery, but the body here is much better. Reason number 1000 why you should never rate based on a 2 oz sample. Flavor is nice and chocolatey with a slight smoke and nutty note. This is really good stuff.

For anyone wondering, Hill Farmstead is in the middle of nowhere in Vermont. About 30 mins from Stowe and 2 hours from Burlington. The brewery is basically a garage and they only offer tastings and bottle sales. No full pours. It is considered one of the best breweries in the world. They only sell to 2 places in Burlington, small amounts in NYC, and just started small amounts (like a couple barrels) in Boston. While I fully believe that rarity contributes to the ratings, this is truly superb beer. I'll to post pics from the brewery. It's in the middle of the mountains. Needed FWD just to get up the road to the brewery this time of year.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Popped my growler of Hill Farmstead Everett porter. Pours deep black with nice rich brown head and decent lacing. Surprised it actually survived this long. Nose of chocolate and just a nice hint of smoke. It was smokier in our tasting at the brewery, but the body here is much better. Reason number 1000 why you should never rate based on a 2 oz sample. Flavor is nice and chocolatey with a slight smoke and nutty note. This is really good stuff.

For anyone wondering, Hill Farmstead is in the middle of nowhere in Vermont. About 30 mins from Stowe and 2 hours from Burlington. The brewery is basically a garage and they only offer tastings and bottle sales. No full pours. It is considered one of the best breweries in the world. They only sell to 2 places in Burlington, small amounts in NYC, and just started small amounts (like a couple barrels) in Boston. While I fully believe that rarity contributes to the ratings, this is truly superb beer. I'll to post pics from the brewery. It's in the middle of the mountains. Needed FWD just to get up the road to the brewery this time of year.

Thanks for the background. I would love to make that trip some day.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 5, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
Thanks for the background. I would love to make that trip some day.

Lucky for you they make trips to Cigar City every so often. So you could get a taste of this stuff if you're looking out for it.

I cracked an Alchemist Heady Topper tonight as I have been sitting on a 4 pack since my trip to Vermont and needed to try this bad boy. This is a big DIPA sitting at 8% ABV and 120 IBUs. Pours cloudy with light white head. The aroma is overpowering with hoppy goodness. You all know that hops have grown on me over the last year and this thing is a pinnacle of hop awesomeness that I have encountered (although Troegs Nugget Nectar is still out there). A wall of pine, pineapple, and mango hits you with a stickiness that I've never experienced before. Like sniffing straight hop resin. No discernible malt aroma.

This is smooth as silk. I could have slammed it in a shot and gone back for more. Nice fruitiness that even my wife could appreciate. Highest IBU beer she has ever enjoyed.

Alchemist is a brewery that was greatly impacted by Hurricane Irene. If I recall, the brewpub was destroyed and won't be reopened. As I recall, the owner was standing in the pub as the vats were hitting the basement ceiling (the floor beneath his feet) as they bobbed in the flood waters. As took a last drink of Heady Topper and evacuated. Anyway, the pub hasn't reopened, but the cannery is in Waterbury, about a block from Ben and Jerry's (in case anyone cares). All the cannery has is 4 packs of Heady Topper and there is a constant flow of people grabbing it.

God I love Vermont. Of course right now I'm drinking a Rock Art Smoked Porter, which was not worth my money over Founders Double Trouble. Dammit.