Contreras cuz Linebrink sucks

witesoxfan

So here is the ultimate idea of mine; I believe Tony Pena has options, so it works.

Contreras has been fabulous his first time through the order. I don't even think I need to look up statistics; he's been fantastic. The second time, usually come the 4th inning, Contreras sucks.

So, move Hudson/whoever into rotation, send Pena down, and let Conteras work out of the pen from here out on.

Givers or takers>?

Im not sold, mainly because Contreras has shown complete inability to recover from any sort of error on the field and in the later innings he would have to pitch over mistakes in order to keep the Sox in the game. And I am not saying Linebrink is any better, because he has not been good at all.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 06:50 AM)
Im not sold, mainly because Contreras has shown complete inability to recover from any sort of error on the field and in the later innings he would have to pitch over mistakes in order to keep the Sox in the game. And I am not saying Linebrink is any better, because he has not been good at all.

I've thought this before Contreras doesn't have the concentration to be a starting pitcher. I believe he can be dominating for a couple of innings but Contreras takes a long time to warm up. SO in a pinch he might not be ready exactly when we nned him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Contreras has a history of being overly-sensitive, and I don't think that demoting him will help. That said, he may not have a choice if Freddy is able to out-pitch him.

Contreras can't pitch more than 3 innings right now. He's earned the demotion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Contreras can't pitch more than 3 innings right now. He's earned the demotion.

Maybe, but I'd wait to see how Freddy pitches before pulling the trigger. Hudson appears to be the only other viable option at this point.

So here is the ultimate idea of mine; I believe Tony Pena has options, so it works.

Contreras has been fabulous his first time through the order. I don't even think I need to look up statistics; he's been fantastic. The second time, usually come the 4th inning, Contreras sucks.

Contreras cannot pitch with runners on base. Period.

I would keep Contreras in the rotation. His ERA-FIP (fielding independent pitching) is the highest of all AL starters, meaning with a little help from the D he's more than adequate as a 4th/5th starter. He's got the lowest line drive rate and highest ground ball rate among our current 4 starters

I would keep Contreras in the rotation. His ERA-FIP (fielding independent pitching) is the highest of all AL starters, meaning with a little help from the D he's more than adequate as a 4th/5th starter. He's got the lowest line drive rate and highest ground ball rate among our current 4 starters

Those stats are great to see, but he's 4-11 and right now appears done. How's he done as a fourth/fifth starter in the last 3 weeks? He's toast.

screw it, lets go with a tandem. let jose start, pitch for 3-4 innings bring in a reliever (hudson?) to finish the game or give it to thorton-jenks. this way hudson doesn't get brought up with any pressure besides being an ML pitcher (as in not the starter that needs to be a stop gap for us to win the division).