SOX @ Oakland, 3:05 PM...NO TV!

MHizzle85

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Batting average on balls in play. The basic idea is...if you hit the ball in the field of play, you should produce a roughly average number of hits. Thus, an average BABIP is about .300. If a player has a BABIP far below .300, that's often a statistical abberation, and they're due for a hot streak. If a hitter is well over .300, then they're due for a cold streak. There are, however, some players who are constantly well above .300, they typically are guys with excellent bat control who know how to deal with a pitcher. Think Derek Jeter, Rod Carew, etc.

An example from our org; Jordan Danks had a BABIP over .400 for the first 2 months of the season. He was striking out a ton, but he kept getting hits on balls he put in play. It was pretty obvious that he was eventually going to hit a slump though, because that BABIP is almost always unsustainable; eventually you start hitting the ball at people. Now, he's in a big slump. Alex Rios, for another, typically in his career has had a BABIP of just over .300. His BABIP this year is something like .270. This suggests that he's been particularly unlucky so far this year, and that has kept his numbers down from where they ought to be.

B)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Batting average on balls in play. The basic idea is...if you hit the ball in the field of play, you should produce a roughly average number of hits. Thus, an average BABIP is about .300. If a player has a BABIP far below .300, that's often a statistical abberation, and they're due for a hot streak. If a hitter is well over .300, then they're due for a cold streak. There are, however, some players who are constantly well above .300, they typically are guys with excellent bat control who know how to deal with a pitcher. Think Derek Jeter, Rod Carew, etc.

An example from our org; Jordan Danks had a BABIP over .400 for the first 2 months of the season. He was striking out a ton, but he kept getting hits on balls he put in play. It was pretty obvious that he was eventually going to hit a slump though, because that BABIP is almost always unsustainable; eventually you start hitting the ball at people. Now, he's in a big slump. Alex Rios, for another, typically in his career has had a BABIP of just over .300. His BABIP this year is something like .270. This suggests that he's been particularly unlucky so far this year, and that has kept his numbers down from where they ought to be.

Wow thanks Balta. Ya learn something every day.

And thank heavens I picked up both Beckham and Dye on my fantasy team.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
And thank heavens I picked up both Beckham and Dye on my fantasy team.

Please tell me that you didn't just pick them up recently. Because if you did, that's one wacky league.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)

Balta, thanks for the breakdown. I luvvvvvvvvvve it when you analyze.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Way to go Gordon. I wonder what his BABIP is?

Seriously, thanks guys for the BABIP info.

Prior to today, .332.

For some people, this would suggest he's due for a slump. But Beckham has done an awful lot to suggest that right now, he's a guy who can sustain a high BABIP. The thing that gives it away is the 20+ doubles already. He's hitting lasers all over the field. His BABIP in his career may actually decline somewhat from here, but that's going to happen because he starts hitting more of those balls out of the ballpark.