Freddy is starting.

justBLAZE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw all the haters, I'm very encouraged by Freddy's start tonight. His fastball is up where it needs to be for him to be effective with his offspeed stuff which is his bread and butter anyway. He threw some pretty nice curveballs up there too. A couple pitches got up and he had to work, but I'm very happy with his outing overall. I hope Contreras is gone soon and Freddy takes over for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
These last several predictions are too optimistic for my liking.

4IP, 6ER, 6H, 1BB, 4K

Watch clips of Bannister yesterday if you want to see what Garcia will likely give us stuff wise. It wont be pretty.

You've got to be joking.

Freddy's velocity tonight was where it was for us in 2006 when he went 17-9, 4.53 ERA, 1.28 WHIP in 216.1 IP, and that Freddy can pitch for me ANY time. Freddy lost velocity on his fastball, he didnt lose his ability to throw his curve and splitter for strikes.

I'm sure if you saw Peavy give up runs tonight you'd think he sucks too. Give the guy a break. He's working his way back and isn't going to look sharp this early. His FB is back where it needs to be in order for him to be effective and some of those curveballs he was throwing up there were nasty. Brian Bannister, yeah right...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
Freddy's velocity tonight was where it was for us in 2006

So does this mean that he was topping out at 86-87? How'd he look overall? I didn't get to see the game and am curious.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:11 AM)
So does this mean that he was topping out at 86-87? How'd he look overall? I didn't get to see the game and am curious.

I only saw the first inning last night, but he was around 87 most of the time. Hit 91 once. I don't know what the velocity was like later in the game. In '06 his velocity was down to only 84 for a while.

I thought he looked okay. It was actually about what I expected, but I was hoping he'd make it through 5. The offense let him down by not taking advantage of the bad pitches by Meche. I'm not saying a pitcher going 4-1/3 and giving up 6 ER is good...it's not. But, I feel better with Freddy going back up there than Contreras. Freddy made about a half dozen bad pitches and paid for almost all of them. Contreras of late throws a lot of balls and walks way too many.

I know there are a lot of Freddy haters on this board but i was at the game last night, and he didn't look too bad. He made a few mistakes that costed him the game but he showed me that he still has a decent arsenal and that he can compete. He is a much better option than Contreras IMO. Tonights game will be huge for Contreras as he now has literally no room for error. He absolutely needs to pitch well tonight or Freddy will likely take his spot the rest of the way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Problem is that KC will be the worst offense he'll face the rest of the way.

What really scares is that he's scheduled to start in the opener of the 4 game set at Boston next Monday, kicking off the all-important 10 game road trip from hell. At least they've been beatable and we'll miss Beckett, but it could get ugly.

Boston beat Detroit 3 of 4 very recently in Beantown. I would not expect us to do better than that and wouldn't be shocked if we dropped all four. It's pennant race time and Boston will be ready for us as they were for the Tigers.