41 members have voted

1. 1. Strasburg

• Boras Puppet
    • soon-to-be well paid pitcher

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
How'd those guys work out?

Prior did have four above-average seasons for a starting pitcher. He led his team into the platoffs twice, Pitching well in three starts in the postseason. Obviously, he didn't work out quite to anyone's expectations. I would, howver, argue the point that he was a massive bust.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
I'd argue that Prior was overhyped and overpaid.

Any decent scout would have noticed his f***ed up mechanics and told the GM to pass on him.

His numbers in college were sensational. The hype was justified; the problem was that there was a huge misconception about just how “perfect” his mechanics were. I don’t think anyone can deny that he did experience significant success at the major league level when he was healthy. He was a good pitcher, a really good pitcher, but his fatal flaw was his arm slot, and the pressure his delivery exerted on his shoulder. A guy like Lincecum has developed a method that allows him to deliver the ball over-the top with minimal stress, Prior used his stress to increase velocity, which increased wear and tear.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
His numbers in college were sensational. The hype was justified; the problem was that there was a huge misconception about just how “perfect” his mechanics were. I don’t think anyone can deny that he did experience significant success at the major league level when he was healthy. He was a good pitcher, a really good pitcher, but his fatal flaw was his arm slot, and the pressure his delivery exerted on his shoulder. A guy like Lincecum has developed a method that allows him to deliver the ball over-the top with minimal stress, Prior used his stress to increase velocity, which increased wear and tear.

Lets see what happens in the next 5 years before we declare another guys mechanics revolutionary

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Lets see what happens in the next 5 years before we declare another guys mechanics revolutionary

Can’t argue that he’s off to a good start, eh? Regardless, I doubt any arm slot is perfect. There’s nothing you can do to completely surmount the unnatural quality of throwing a baseball.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Can’t argue that he’s off to a good start, eh? Regardless, I doubt any arm slot is perfect. There’s nothing you can do to completely surmount the unnatural quality of throwing a baseball.

People just dont have the same bodies or thresholds to declare anything perfect. Lincecum could be completely shredding his shoulder right now for all we know with all of the straight arm torque he puts on it with his "grab a dollar off the ground" motion

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Strasburg's value declines if he doesn't sign.

Can he still go back and pitch at SD State?

Highly doubtful...unless I guess there's a loophole of Boras being his "advisor" and not his actual agent but I doubt the NCAA still considers him an amateur.

He'd likely take the Aaron Crow route.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
People just dont have the same bodies or thresholds to declare anything perfect. Lincecum could be completely shredding his shoulder right now for all we know with all of the straight arm torque he puts on it with his "grab a dollar off the ground" motion

You're right.

When you're throwing in the mid-90's, there is no safe delivery. In Lincecum's case, his unique delivery enables him to throw harder than his frame suggests, but it won't minimize the chance of injury. I personally can't see him getting seriously injured, but I can see him having a significant drop off in velocity.

SI-

Nationals offered Strasburg about $12.5 million

The Nationals' offer to No. 1 pick Stephen Strasburg, the right-handed phenom from San Diego State who's become the most anticipated amateur ever, was for about $12.5 million, sources said.

Nationals president Stan Kasten said over the weekend they made a record offer to Strasburg, but didn't name the price. The record is the $10.5 million Mark Prior received from the Cubs in 2001. Kasten also suggested a deal might not get done.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Strasburg's value declines if he doesn't sign.

Can he still go back and pitch at SD State?

If that's what happens, he'd better hope that he doesn't have a down season, lose velocity, or suffer an arm injury.

He's seriously stupid if he doesn't sign. His value is likely higher now than it'll ever be.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
Highly doubtful...unless I guess there's a loophole of Boras being his "advisor" and not his actual agent but I doubt the NCAA still considers him an amateur.

I've also heard Japan as a possible destination should he not sign.

QUOTE (Fotop @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)

Did Crow sign with the Royals?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
If that's what happens, he'd better hope that he doesn't have a down season, lose velocity, or suffer an arm injury.

He's seriously stupid if he doesn't sign. His value is likely higher now than it'll ever be.

Ever heard of Matt Harrington? Pretty much a textbook example of what not to do.

If the Nationals' offer was only $12.5 million, they should be ashamed and boycotted. I in no way think they should even approach the number Boras wants, but I'd think $20 million in a market like Washington would be worth it given the fact that they failed to sign their pick from last year as well.

I'm glad I follow a team that cares.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
I've also heard Japan as a possible destination should he not sign.

Would he then be subject to their rules about going to the majors(minimum service time)? Or is that only Japanese citizens?