attendance and revenue

BamaDoc

using data from espn, the sox are 18th of 30 in home attendance. (1,668,220) avg 27.4k A bigger surprise to me is that only Toronto and Kansas City are worse road draws than we are. Do road teams get half the gate?

KW mentioned better walk up. Since the begining of Aug, 7 of 8 crowds were greater than 30k so maybe he was right. There were good teams to draw so this week vs KC and Balt should show if it continues.

I bring this up since the Sox claim to operate on a budget. Better crowds and winning may mean better toys!

using data from espn, the sox are 18th of 30 in home attendance. (1,668,220) avg 27.4k A bigger surprise to me is that only Toronto and Kansas City are worse road draws than we are. Do road teams get half the gate?

KW mentioned better walk up. Since the begining of Aug, 7 of 8 crowds were greater than 30k so maybe he was right. There were good teams to draw so this week vs KC and Balt should show if it continues.

I bring this up since the Sox claim to operate on a budget. Better crowds and winning may mean better toys!

If we consistently got 30k+ crowds, we would be right behind Boston in spending imo. What some people forget is that Jerry makes a buttload of cash off of parking. Teams like the Cubs don't have that luxury.

Edited by son of a rude

White Sox home attendance has been on a steady decline since the World Series excitement has worn off.

2006= 36,511 (avg.)

2007= 33,140

2008= 30,877

2009= 27,803

It just goes to figure. Attendance has returned to normal. As for road attendance it doesn't surprise me but certainly is disappointing that the Orioles, Indians, Twins, and A's in particular outdraw the White Sox.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
If we consistently got 30k+ crowds, we would be right behind Boston in spending imo. What some people forget is that Jerry makes a buttload of cash off of parking. Teams like the Cubs don't have that luxury.

And concessions. There are relatively few highly-frequented food and drink joints around the ballpark (compared to other franchises).

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
White Sox home attendance has been on a steady decline since the World Series excitement has worn off.

2006= 36,511 (avg.)

2007= 33,140

2008= 30,877

2009= 27,803

It just goes to figure. Attendance has returned to normal. As for road attendance it doesn't surprise me but certainly is disappointing that the Orioles, Indians, Twins, and A's in particular outdraw the White Sox.

THE FREAKING NATIONALS OUTDRAW US on the road.

We've had this discussion many times before.

I think we're something like #8-10 in terms of revenues produced in the majors because of our higher average ticket prices (#4-6 in the majors), parking and concessions revenues. Personally, I believe they could generate MORE revenue by dropping prices and making the tickets more affordable, but the White Sox marketing department seems to believe the market is not as elastic and that it's better to set higher prices than to take the risk of lowering prices and generating even more money...but the possibility of losing money too if the team underperforms like in 2007.

The Twin are outdrawing us because they are going into a new ballpark and looked, along with the Indians, to have the best ALCD team...but it's 50% about "positioning" for season tickets in the new ballpark for 2010.

You have to give credit to DET for eating the contract of Sheffield and being able to draw 31K+ in such a negative economy in that city (they also have bad contracts on the books with Ordonez, Guillen, Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, etc.). The financial problems have REALLY hit hard in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, but DET has seemed to be immune. Of course, they've been a lot like last year's White Sox team, holding into first place with very strong starting pitching and a dominating home record.

Texas has a very exciting team and they're in the bottom 5-10 teams for road attendance as well. San Diego, one of the worst and most boring teams, is #6. As mentioned, when we play the Yankees and Red Sox on the road, that will pull up our averages, too.

I am a bit surprised by the strength of Atlanta, Houston and Seattle, but the Mariners really dominate the Pacific Northwest and have a beautiful ballpark and improving team...based on the proximity of the White Sox to first place, you'd think they SHOULD be at #14-15, but we were HORRIBLE at home and looked set to fold/White Flag and we'd just increased ticket prices across the board coming off the playoff appearance.

Edited by caulfield12

I would guess less Chicagoans relocate to our AL Central competitors cities (Detroit, Minny, CLE and KC) versus how many people from CLE and Minny moved to Chicago and attend Sox games rooting for their teams.

I don't have any explanations for the nationals as I don't think they have many fans at all, maybe people figure their team will win that game or promotions are scheduled when they are in town (like the sox do with KC).

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't have any explanations for the nationals as I don't think they have many fans at all, maybe people figure their team will win that game or promotions are scheduled when they are in town (like the sox do with KC).

Also, regarding the Nationals drawing better on the road than the White Sox, I think anyway, is the fact that 10 of the top 15 teams in total attendance are in the National League so the Nationals benefit in that way.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)

I'd guess the Nationals benefit from playing a good number of away games against the Mets, Phillies and Braves, all of which draw well at home, no matter who they're playing.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

Do the Sox keep that money, or does that go to the Illinois Sports Authority?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
As for road attendance it doesn't surprise me but certainly is disappointing that the Orioles, Indians, Twins, and A's in particular outdraw the White Sox.

How about the Pirates, Nationals, Rockies, Padres, Reds, etc.? Ugh.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 12:25 AM)
Make upper deck tickets $9 forever

And bleacher seats $27

As demonstrated by the Buehrle series, they could sell out some games with that.

Although this is a bit of a stretch, you're right. The lower premiums always get sold, so keep those the same, or even raise them five bucks. But the upper deck, you got to make that more affordable since its such a less enjoyable experience. They'd have much better draws with cheap upper deck and then they'd sell more food, more shop sales

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
If the Sox cut prices, cut parking, etc. I think they would be in the top 5 of the AL

For the sox to justify cutting ticket prices we would need to see the supply demand curve actively out of sync. The sox have provide a lot of parking for a premium price, but its all about the demand. In order to lower parking prices we would need to see an active shift in the demand for parking. For this to happen we would need to see the sales figures actually show less parking spaces being utilized per X number of fans. If that was the case we would need to data to show more people are carpooling, taking public transit, etc. Im not sure if these things are going on, but only if they are can the price of parking be lowered to spur increased demand.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

Good call about parking with KW NEVER talks about of course. $23.00 to park is a complete ripoff. JR is rolling in cash from it KW cries poor and only talks about ticket sales.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Guys who cares about road attendance? We've yet to play in Boston, or New York and we play in the AL central where KC, Det, Minny, and Cleveland don't draw that well.

Bingo. The Sox don't exactly have a huge road following or anything, but we're as low as we are due to factors well beyond our control (is it any surprise a team like Baltimore is ahead of us, for example, when they get to play 3 road series a piece at NY and BOS, while we're at KC and CLE?).

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Bingo. The Sox don't exactly have a huge road following or anything, but we're as low as we are due to factors well beyond our control (is it any surprise a team like Baltimore is ahead of us, for example, when they get to play 3 road series a piece at NY and BOS, while we're at KC and CLE?).

But then again, we get to play the Royals and Indians more often, so you give and take.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)

2006= 36,511 (avg.)

2007= 33,140

2008= 30,877

2009= 27,803

Maybe our road oppenents consider us a "premier game" lol

I'd think we draw better now than we did in 2003 and 2004.