can we use Carrasco in the 8th?

Princess Dye

Why is he stuck in a long relief role? I know he's been successful there, but what's wrong with putting the guy with the most success in the most serious situations

Especially if it's now a need. Yeah, you made other acquisitions to fill that role...now you'll i guess let hubris drag the record down in your hope of defending those acqusitions.

This is a pickle. The quick answer would be, "Yes, why couldn't we?" I wouldn't want to see Ozzie holding on to him for the 8th if his services were needed earlier. I think Carrasco would do fine in a pressure situation late in the game, and therefore could be an asset. But, he's probably more valuable as a long relief guy.

Carrasco has more value in long relief, and with Garcia and Conteras both starting, he will be needed there. Also, we don't know how long Peavy will go in his first couple of starts, so we may need 2+ innings from Carrasco in those starts as well.

I'm getting the same sorts of answers, and good catch hogan on my misuse of the word 'can'

but this is a lot like Beckham at 2b...yes this type of player has more VALUE at a certain position...but what good does that do us when we are at home during the playoffs?

The point about Garcia/Contreras is actually something i see a reverse way. Once Peavy's here, something has to happen with one of these guys. If Garcia does well, we might want him to be the long relief guy in a playoff series. Then Carrasco necessarily will be more of a situational guy.

When Carrasco comes in during the 6th in a close game....is that tons less pressure than a close game in the 8th? I dont think the acclimation period would have to be that long.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I think we can definitely use Carrasco in the 8th, especially if we dont want to win the division

I probably wasnt at all clear, but I'm envisioning games like yesterday where the tough lefties come up in the 7th and we happen to have righties coming up in the 8th.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
I think we can definitely use Carrasco in the 8th, especially if we dont want to win the division

Carrasco isn't going to lose it for the team if he comes in to pitch in the 8th. I wouldn't want to see Carrasco used in those situations as he is our best long relief guy. But he seems like the type of pitcher that would get it done where ever you put him in.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
I probably wasnt at all clear, but I'm envisioning games like yesterday where the tough lefties come up in the 7th and we happen to have righties coming up in the 8th.

Putting it that way, we obviously cant trust Linebrink, but I think I would prefer Dotel/Pena over Carrasco in that situation though. I know DJ has pitched well all year, but I think pitching in long relief is much different than the 8th innings setup role, and I just dont think he would do as well