I tellya what Stone Pony, Ah luv Bizarro Wednesday...

Steve9347

Honestly, yesterday might have been the turning point to the season. Jose Contreras vs. Zach Greinke? And we win? Easily?

Then the Tigers have their ace on the mound and lose to the Mariners who tossed IAN SNELL?

We're 2 games out when most thought we'd be 4 out at this point. Jim Thome is back, and we're ready to rock. Anyone else feeling as good as I am after Bizarro Wednesday?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Honestly, yesterday might have been the turning point to the season. Jose Contreras vs. Zach Greinke? And we win? Easily?

Then the Tigers have their ace on the mound and lose to the Mariners who tossed IAN SNELL?

We're 2 games out when most thought we'd be 4 out at this point. Jim Thome is back, and we're ready to rock. Anyone else feeling as good as I am after Bizarro Wednesday?

I dunno...I thought that the previous day was a turning point for Detroit...they come from behind and win a game started by the Mariners' King Felix...then we lose a game thatwe were winning 4-1.

That's why baseball is so awesome..so mant unpredicatble outcomes!

For most of my history as a Sox fan, this is as good as it gets. This team will be in the race all the way, and I honestly can not ask for more than that. By late August for at least half of the last 30 years, it was time to think about the September call ups and next year. Hell, for at least a third of those year, in your heart you knew in May the team was going nowhere. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
For most of my history as a Sox fan, this is as good as it gets. This team will be in the race all the way, and I honestly can not ask for more than that. By late August for at least half of the last 30 years, it was time to think about the September call ups and next year. Hell, for at least a third of those year, in your heart you knew in May the team was going nowhere. :gosoxretro:

This is true. We've gotten spoiled since 2000 or so. We always seem to be at least in the running. It makes the season fun even if we don't make the playoffs.

For most of the past 30 years, the Sox have been out of it early.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)

Very true. Those late 80s teams were completely horrible. I was enjoying the end of summer vacation and waiting for the TV season to begin right about now.

We need to sweep the Orioles. They have been awful recently and the Tigers have the As who really could play tough or just lay down. All I know is Sept. 7 is a huge day for the Sox. Where we are there will say a lot about our chances. We have an incredibly tough stretch up until then, as do the Tigers (7-Rays, 3-Angels).

I don't believe in turning points or momentum, certainly not in baseball. We've had so many supposed turning point or momentum gaining victories this year but we always end up falling on our faces soon after. We're a slightly above .500 team and we'll continue to play that way for the rest of the season, I wouldn't expect us to start playing .750 ball just because of a nice day.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)

This last decade have been nothing but golden for this guy. 3 division titles, one World Series championship, winning a 1 - 0 play-in game over a team that has tortured my Sox for said decade. And now, 2 games out from a 4th division title and possibly another World Series title with young exciting players and battle tested vets, how anyone cannot be proud of what this organization has done for us since 2000 is beyond me.

:gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Allsox @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:34 AM)
This last decade have been nothing but golden for this guy. 3 division titles, one World Series championship, winning a 1 - 0 play-in game over a team that has tortured my Sox for said decade. And now, 2 games out from a 4th division title and possibly another World Series title with young exciting players and battle tested vets, how anyone cannot be proud of what this organization has done for us since 2000 is beyond me.

:gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Long time reader, first time poster. I've really enjoyed reading this site over the last few years but felt I needed to comment on this post as I was thinking this very thing yesterday. As a fan of this team since 1982, it's really amazing to see how much this organization has changed in 27+ years.

QUOTE (brookfieldjim @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Long time reader, first time poster. I've really enjoyed reading this site over the last few years but felt I needed to comment on this post as I was thinking this very thing yesterday. As a fan of this team since 1982, it's really amazing to see how much this organization has changed in 27+ years.

Welcome to Soxtalk, please don;t take two years before your second post. :cheers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't want to rain on the parade, but there have been hundreds of supposed "turning points" for this team in the last decade, both positive and negative.

In 23 yrs of watching White Sox baseball, this decade has undoubtedly been the best. The 80s' were awful, the 90's were very disappointing and both decades only had one division title to speak of with very few seasons of still being in the race by Aug.

Sure, there's been lots of bad pts this decade (The end of 2003, the absolute collapse after the '06 All Star break where the Sox led the Wild Card by 6 games to wind up 6 games out) but mostly, it's been good times to be a Sox fan.

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)

I'm not taking a popshot at you but this is kind of what evrybody means and Ozzie mentioned the other day of Sox fans thinking the roof is falling when we lose and then we're winning a world series when we win.

I agree yesterday was huge and I thnk if we build on it by winning 2 of 3 or sweeping the Orioles - it'll only help that case but I am tyring to avoid having the ups and downs right now because our stretch is brutal. When that ends, and we are in it - then i'll get excited.

QUOTE (Allsox @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)
In 23 yrs of watching White Sox baseball, this decade has undoubtedly been the best. The 80s' were awful, the 90's were very disappointing and both decades only had one division title to speak of with very few seasons of still being in the race by Aug.

Sure, there's been lots of bad pts this decade (The end of 2003, the absolute collapse after the '06 All Star break where the Sox led the Wild Card by 6 games to wind up 6 games out) but mostly, it's been good times to be a Sox fan.

I understand what you're saying, but it has absolutely no effect on what I said.

QUOTE (brookfieldjim @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)

Welcome aboard.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
I'm not taking a popshot at you but this is kind of what evrybody means and Ozzie mentioned the other day of Sox fans thinking the roof is falling when we lose and then we're winning a world series when we win.

I don't think you know me very well then, lol.

I've had us winning the World Series since THIS drunken post. :lolhitting

My reasoning was way off though, but I did have Beckham at least (who didn't).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:59 PM)
I understand what you're saying, but it has absolutely no effect on what I said.

Are you talking about the schizo ups/down on the board from posters on a daily basis from games as the "supposed" turning pts? Or something else?

And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we fans shouldn't ever criticize the organization. We do that just by not showing up at Comiskey....

Edited by Allsox