What is your job?

HeGone33

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I handle support, internal IT, and am currently dabbling a bit in development for a small law software company. I'd like to get into Bioinformatics, but I need to finish my bachelor's first (I'm in the "I hated college because I didn't stay there" boat). I plan to enroll in Northwestern's SCS to finish my degree in CIS, then go on for BI @ UIC or somewhere else around here that has a good program.

So I am looking into IT Governance as a future career and I am currently studying General Management with a double major in IS/IT. Im not sure yet what the IS/IT classes will offer me in the technical side of the field, and though I am more interested in the management part I feel that entry level positions will require more technical knowledge. Ive taken the basic computer programming class (mysql, vba for excel, html, etc). Any other suggestions for classes that I should take to prepare me for future jobs (if any).

Thanks y'all.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
So I am looking into IT Governance as a future career and I am currently studying General Management with a double major in IS/IT. Im not sure yet what the IS/IT classes will offer me in the technical side of the field, and though I am more interested in the management part I feel that entry level positions will require more technical knowledge. Ive taken the basic computer programming class (mysql, vba for excel, html, etc). Any other suggestions for classes that I should take to prepare me for future jobs (if any).

Thanks y'all.

I will say this: CIO's are looking at more business-savy folks for IT because of the ongoing fusion efforts to integrate business and IT in a more efficient structure. Business people with IT backgrounds are going to be making some big bucks.

Thanks y'all.

get a PMP certification. It's pretty easy to get and holds some weight. Try to get an entry level job in a viable industry, as knowing the tech and specific business rules is important. Work your way up. As far as education, it all depends. I got in with a computer science degree, not sure if that is a good idea now a days; but if you go to a top school you'll be in for sure though. But the curriculum isn't easy, yet even in shops that heavily offshore, they still want someone on site that actually knows what is going on and has management skill. A business degree is pretty wide open, possibly more entry level opportunity.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
No need for that either please.

knightni, it was a joke.

SAP is a very large ERP software provider, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the 5th largest software co in the world. I figured that was where RockRaines worked. I'm pretty sure Sqwert knew that, so my response to sqwert wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Edited by mr_genius

I'm looking to get involved in city and local government. I eventually want to be a City Administrator. I am having a TERRIBLE time finding a job, mainly because of the economy and the lack of experience. It's great not being able to get a job because of lack of experience, but no one will hire you to get experience.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
I'm looking to get involved in city and local government. I eventually want to be a City Administrator. I am having a TERRIBLE time finding a job, mainly because of the economy and the lack of experience. It's great not being able to get a job because of lack of experience, but no one will hire you to get experience.

It's not just you if that's any consolation. Things are a lot harder, IMO, for young people just getting started than it was for me in the late 90's and way harder than it was for the boomers whom were basically guaranteed a job if they got a college degree. You are going to be competing against experienced people for entry level jobs when unemployment is this high. You still have your youth and energy working for you, try to remain positive even though I know it must be hard to do. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)

On the law side, I'm trying to do the same. Unfortunately now there are far more experienced attorneys out there willing to take entry level jobs, while 3rd year law students are in internships with the companies looking to hire. I decided to go back to school to get my LL.M. while I'm waiting for my Bar exam results. Hopefully I can get a clerkship in the meantime.

I'm honestly at the point where I can't ever see myself getting a job. It's a bad feeling.

Thanks y'all.

The tech part is the easy one for most people, even though I would argue good tech people are rare. For me its being able to communicate tech to the business. You can be the most talented engineer in the world, if you can't talk to the business your career will only go so far.

Try and get involved in some of he IT groups in your area. ISACA would be a great place to start. Its a good place to network for you. Maybe you can work your way into an internship.

If you are looking at governance. Keep a good idea of the governance models, and the feeder models as well. COBIT, and ITIL are the prevalent ones. Remember ISO 17799/27001 as they are used more in Europe from the security side.

As mentioned before, PMP never hurt anyone. Companies are always looking for people that can manage a project. Good project managers are hard to find.

Also look at the business trends. Six Sigma is the trend at my company these days. Everyone we hire no matter what track in the company has some sort of Six Sigma belt.

I was lucky enough to work for a company before that spent a lot of time training their advanced engineering team on the business side of the house. We of course hated it at the time, but now later on. I am very thankful I went through that.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
You can be the most talented engineer in the world, if you can't talk to the business your career will only go so far.

QFT. Unless you are a top coder type and an ACM competition stand out in school, having business knowledge to go with your tech work is where you want to go IMO. Hard core tech skills are still in demand, but understanding the core business of an organization is very key.

Engineer at a production plant

knightni, it was a joke.

SAP is a very large ERP software provider, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the 5th largest software co in the world. I figured that was where RockRaines worked. I'm pretty sure Sqwert knew that, so my response to sqwert wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

We have it coming in a couple of months. Lots of training coming up.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Marketing analyst for a company that provides parts primarily to the Government (and all their subcontractors and DoD contract winners) and Commercial Air industry.

You work in the same general industry as me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
I will say this: CIO's are looking at more business-savy folks for IT because of the ongoing fusion efforts to integrate business and IT in a more efficient structure. Business people with IT backgrounds are going to be making some big bucks.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
get a PMP certification. It's pretty easy to get and holds some weight. Try to get an entry level job in a viable industry, as knowing the tech and specific business rules is important. Work your way up. As far as education, it all depends. I got in with a computer science degree, not sure if that is a good idea now a days; but if you go to a top school you'll be in for sure though. But the curriculum isn't easy, yet even in shops that heavily offshore, they still want someone on site that actually knows what is going on and has management skill. A business degree is pretty wide open, possibly more entry level opportunity.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
The tech part is the easy one for most people, even though I would argue good tech people are rare. For me its being able to communicate tech to the business. You can be the most talented engineer in the world, if you can't talk to the business your career will only go so far.

Try and get involved in some of he IT groups in your area. ISACA would be a great place to start. Its a good place to network for you. Maybe you can work your way into an internship.

If you are looking at governance. Keep a good idea of the governance models, and the feeder models as well. COBIT, and ITIL are the prevalent ones. Remember ISO 17799/27001 as they are used more in Europe from the security side.

As mentioned before, PMP never hurt anyone. Companies are always looking for people that can manage a project. Good project managers are hard to find.

Also look at the business trends. Six Sigma is the trend at my company these days. Everyone we hire no matter what track in the company has some sort of Six Sigma belt.

I was lucky enough to work for a company before that spent a lot of time training their advanced engineering team on the business side of the house. We of course hated it at the time, but now later on. I am very thankful I went through that.

I was fortunate to already have an internship at a Pharma company in their IT dept. Im hoping to land a job in a few years after I graduate with a company like Accenture where they train you.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I'll definitely look into those areas and see what I can learn before I graduate.