Alexei v. Valentin at ss

Princess Dye

Who is/was better at the position? Granted we havent seen Alexei there long enough..... but neither looks/ed like a natural at the position for whatever reason.

In AR's case i think he's kind of not built for the position...kind of a tallish SS. Also i think he's perhaps fast on his feet but not quick....if that makes any sense.

I agree that we haven't seen Alexei long enough there, but you can't help but be a little critical of his play. Valentin wasn't a superstar there either. If you compare what we saw of Jose and what we've seen of Alexei so far, I'd give the reluctant nod to Jose.

valentin was a butcher on routine plays (leading to alot of errors), but had superior range (at least according to most metrics)

alexei is a butch and has average to subpar range according to those same metrics....gimme valentin

I'll never forget the game in 2000 when sirotka lost 1-0 to Pedro at Fenway, and the only run scored was after valentin airmailed a throw into the crowd on a routine grounder, which led to a runner on 2nd, who was knocked in on the next at bat. Looking back at the box score, Pedro had 15 K's in that game!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BO...200007230.shtml

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Both are butchers in the field but Jose could actually turn a DP because he didn't shy away from possible contact.

^^^

Alexei also makes a ton of random mental mistakes.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
^^^

Alexei also makes a ton of random mental mistakes.

That's the biggest difference for me. He needs to keep focused for an entire game. Otherwise it is a tough choice. Jose made more spectacular plays, but Alexei doesn't screw up the random average plays like Jose did.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
I'll never forget the game in 2000 when sirotka lost 1-0 to Pedro at Fenway, and the only run scored was after valentin airmailed a throw into the crowd on a routine grounder, which led to a runner on 2nd, who was knocked in on the next at bat. Looking back at the box score, Pedro had 15 K's in that game!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BO...200007230.shtml

One of the best games I ever remember seeing.

I never thought AR's popularity would take such a nosedive from year 1 to year 2. Especially if you had told me ahead of time he'd bump up his walks per appearance and what not.

One of the best games I ever remember seeing.

I never thought AR's popularity would take such a nosedive from year 1 to year 2. Especially if you had told me ahead of time he'd bump up his walks per appearance and what not.

He might be more hated, but if we're gonna throw Beckham at 3rd and let him learn on the fly, we may as well deal with Alexei at SS too. All we can do is hope he improves into the GG-caliber SS we know he is capable of. Also, just the fact he is a magician with the stick makes it worth keeping him around.

Edited by Wise Master Buehrle

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
He might be more hated, but if we're gonna throw Beckham at 3rd and let him learn on the fly, we may as well deal with Alexei at SS too. All we can do is hope he improves into the GG-caliber SS we know he is capable of. Also, just the fact he is a magician with the stick makes it worth keeping him around.

But herein lies the problem. Alexei has been this shortstop, since day 1. He isn't improving. When he first showed up like this in April and May, I was all for giving him some leeway, as he learned the position. But he isn't doing that, so, I personally would be in favor of him moving to another position, depending on how the offseason plays out. Given Beckham's quick adjustment to 3B and his career as an SS, I'd be surprised if he couldn't do better. But again, this really depends on who is available for the various IF positions going into 2010.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
But herein lies the problem. Alexei has been this shortstop, since day 1. He isn't improving. When he first showed up like this in April and May, I was all for giving him some leeway, as he learned the position. But he isn't doing that, so, I personally would be in favor of him moving to another position, depending on how the offseason plays out. Given Beckham's quick adjustment to 3B and his career as an SS, I'd be surprised if he couldn't do better. But again, this really depends on who is available for the various IF positions going into 2010.

and alexei is playing his "natural position"....while beckham is not

now that we have solidified center field, im not sure what to do with alexei...I find it laughable that the organization had him in CF opening day last year but refused to look at him for the OF...if pods doesn't come back, and one of dye/thome don't I'd still look at him in LF (with quentin in right), but heaven knows the organization won't....one way or another he is likely our SS for the remainder of his contract.

now the bigger question is where to keep beckham long term 2b or 3b, but that will likely be 3b, though it should be partially dictated based on our other options at those spots

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
and alexei is playing his "natural position"....while beckham is not

now that we have solidified center field, im not sure what to do with alexei...I find it laughable that the organization had him in CF opening day last year but refused to look at him for the OF...if pods doesn't come back, and one of dye/thome don't I'd still look at him in LF (with quentin in right), but heaven knows the organization won't....one way or another he is likely our SS for the remainder of his contract.

now the bigger question is where to keep beckham long term 2b or 3b, but that will likely be 3b, though it should be partially dictated based on our other options at those spots

I'd tend to agree, if the OF situation is such that there is a hole there, I'd love to see Alexei in the OF. He's got speed and range, seemed reasonably skilled in CF in his few games playing there (so LF should, in theory, be easier), has a cannon arm, and in the OF he has more chance to make up for mental mistakes before the ball gets to him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
I'd tend to agree, if the OF situation is such that there is a hole there, I'd love to see Alexei in the OF. He's got speed and range, seemed reasonably skilled in CF in his few games playing there (so LF should, in theory, be easier), has a cannon arm, and in the OF he has more chance to make up for mental mistakes before the ball gets to him.

Couldnt agree more. Cuba's national team probably knew him better than anyone else in the baseball world. In the Classic, I believe they played him in OF.

The only fear is with Rios and Ramirez in the OF, the traditional power spots are not filled with...well..power.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Jose still remains the only player to force me to close my eyes and say "oh s***, oh s***, oh s***" whenever the ball was grounded to him.

Hawk doesnt swear, but he came as close as he tends to at the end of the perfect game..."Alex-EYYYYY??!!!!!"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
Alexei and its not even close. There should be a disclaimer at the top of the board that keeps mentioning he's a rookie at the position for god sakes.

I think what worries many about Alexei's attributes at the position are the unteachable ones.

Starting w/ size.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Forget size, that isn't a huge deal for a middle infielder. What's apparently unteachable for Alexei is being teachable.

I wonder if there are family or other personal issues going on. He seems to be more mentally distracted than physically unable to play the position well.