Financial News

jasonxctf

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This applies even if they don't have a physical presence. 8-1 ruling.

I thought I saw it as 5-4 - and a very odd split at that.  Ginsburg, Alito, Thomas, Kennedy and Gorsuch as the majority.  Roberts, Breyer, Kagan and Sotomayor dissent.

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I'm not 100% sure that is true. Usually raising costs =less sales. I just haven't seen any definitive answer that ABC company is making more money.

I do know that US Steel has restarted a couple of lines.  No idea what their fiscal outlook is though.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I do know that US Steel has restarted a couple of lines.  No idea what their fiscal outlook is though.

US Steel also produces in Europe, so it will be interesting if they move some production over there. And just keep whatever is necessary in the US to supply US needs. It may be a wash. 

On 6/5/2018 at 1:17 AM, caulfield12 said:

Very simple solution...raise the EITC high enough where there are MORE significant/appreciable incentives to work (especially for single mothers), otherwise, the long-term costs to society of children not being raised well will more than offset any short-term benefits from saving money that would have been allocated to welfare/WIC/AFDC/food stamps payments by the government.

if single mothers could not get any welfare, they would not start "taking responsibilities for their actions" they would start getting more abortions...not to mention, welfare can be a very good thing for a single parent. Do you have any idea how much raising a child costs? A lot of single mothers are young and don't have a college degree, and needless to say, if you're struggling with the financial responsibilities of raising a child you are not earning enough to go to college and eventually get a degree to fix that matter. single parents sometimes need welfare to make sure their child doesn't DIE. i mean, what do you think is the bigger loss, tax dollars, or the lives of children through malnourishment or illness without medication? sure, there are some woman out there who keep having kids in order to collect more welfare, don't find a job, basically take from the systems money, but there are people who abuse every privileged, the world isn't perfect and neither is welfare.

also, in terms of child support. the money received from the father is not enough to raise a child. it's just help, and if you have sex with a woman, the child is every much of yours as it is hers, so you really should be helping her pay for it. men need to take just as much responsibility for their actions as woman. and a woman does not trick a man into impregnating her..i mean, there are a few independent cases, but really? morning sickness, looking like the good year blimp, difficulty moving around, CHILD BIRTH. that's not worth your money, especially since it's not enough to pay for the child and then have an additional income anyways. having a child is actually still losing money from your income for the woman, even with child support.

not to mention, my sister is on food stamps and receiving child support AND a working woman and she's still barely making ends meet. i mean, when you have kids, you can't exactly run out and work 80 hours a week, and the hours you do get at some low paying job really doesn't cut it. she is taking responsibility. she made a mistake, but she kept the kid, she's raising it, she's out there working, and she's getting a little help, because without it, she'd probably be living in the car, my nephew wouldn't have enough food, and i'm honestly sick to my stomach thinking about what could happen to him.

me? i was assaulted and ended up pregnant. i'm not on welfare, nor am i getting child support because of my situation (his money isn't worth him being in my son's life even the slightest). i'm stripping to earn an income and working a couple days a week at a hospital (to fill in the employment gaps on future applications and also to get benefits). i'm taking responsibility, and i didn't even do anything to lead to the pregnancy, except maybe trust someone i thought was a long time friend. him on the other hand? this is all on him. i wouldn't have been pregnant if he'd stayed the f*ck away from me, yet where is he? no clue. he's not paying child support, doesn't have to be a part of the kid's life nor does he want to, and basically got off scotch free (while i had a kit done, no charges were pressed. the deal was if he stayed completely out of my life and my son's life, he wouldn't have to pick out an outfit for court). so, not only is child support and welfare sometimes necessary for single mothers (as i know i would definitely need it had i not decided to strip), but it's not just the woman who has to take responsibility. it's the man. and it's not just the woman who "don't", according to you, it goes both ways. there are a lot of woman out there completely caring for their children while the father's life hasn't changed at all.

so, basically, if welfare and child support were taken away, almost every single parent depending on it would end up on the streets and the mortality rate of children would go up. in addition to that, more woman would get abortions. yes. you came up with a brilliant idea, didn't you?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrE19VOKRZbCzQAUAhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?qid=20110302165004AAc8sKK

The problem with our country is there's a very large group of people and even an economic school of thought which views the tax dollars as the bigger loss than the lives of children in this country. Now, they would never say that publicly, but that is how they view things when you get down to the tough choices. That's a huge problem that needs solving.

Harley buyers are geniuses who can read the future. They knew that Trumps's tariffs were coming, and that they would force Harley to leave the US for production in order to compete in Europe, so they decided to quit buying bikes a year ago in protest!

Papa Johns founder uses the N-word on a conference call.

The call was arranged between Papa John’s executives and marketing agency Laundry Service. It was designed as a role-playing exercise for Schnatter in an effort to prevent future public-relations snafus. Schnatter caused an uproar in November 2017 when he waded into the debate over national anthem protests in the NFL and partly blamed the league for slowing sales at Papa John’s. 

On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s,” Schnatter allegedly said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, the source said. After learning about the incident, Laundry Service owner Casey Wasserman moved to terminate the company’s contract with Papa John’s.

• 2 weeks later...

An unreal sell-off from Facebook.

Facebook has been a creative company in finding new streams of revenue. But as someone who finds it awful to use, I did have the same reaction to slowing growth.

I don't see the generation behind the zennials, or zennials themselves,  being big facebook users. As the growth areas dry up, they'll have to make more revenue on each user. I just can't imagine that experience being better than it is now. Their proposed ideas on their call (allowing brands to message you directly on messenger) sounded awful.

Which is to say they could easily find or acquire some other line, or instagram itself makes up for all of the slack. But I have a hard time believing it won't have some major pains and redefining of what facebook is in the relatively soon future.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think they are going to try and become a media hub more and more. Live content, original content, sports exclusives, etc. 

I have to say that doesn't sound like big money.

I don't buy that people want an all-in-one shop. Eventually the stickieness wears off.

This isn't to say that facebook won't still be wildly profitable. It's more the question over whether core facebook is going to be as stable and dominant as google search is in keeping its ad firm so cash heavy.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

An unreal sell-off from Facebook.

Facebook has been a creative company in finding new streams of revenue. But as someone who finds it awful to use, I did have the same reaction to slowing growth.

I don't see the generation behind the zennials, or zennials themselves,  being big facebook users. As the growth areas dry up, they'll have to make more revenue on each user. I just can't imagine that experience being better than it is now. Their proposed ideas on their call (allowing brands to message you directly on messenger) sounded awful.

Which is to say they could easily find or acquire some other line, or instagram itself makes up for all of the slack. But I have a hard time believing it won't have some major pains and redefining of what facebook is in the relatively soon future.

I read something a few months ago that only like 40% of teenagers use Facebook. It's basically a generation off and they now use Instagram and Snapchat instead. 

The good thing for Facebook is that they can just buy the next big social media hit (or several and get the one that lands). 

9 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I read something a few months ago that only like 40% of teenagers use Facebook. It's basically a generation off and they now use Instagram and Snapchat instead. 

The good thing for Facebook is that they can just buy the next big social media hit (or several and get the one that lands). 

They certainly can, but monetizing the next big social media hit is no guarantee (see Snap).

11 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

This is absolutely true. My kids are in high school and college. They don't use facebook and call it obsolete. They only use instagram and snapchat.

Im sure you guys know this, but Instagram is owned by Facebook.

Snapchat is basically the only competitor at this point and Facebook just steals all of their ideas.

(Edit)

Facebook also owns WhatsApp as well. Facebook may take a beating for a few days, but in the long run they are still in the best position. Ive never been super in love with Facebook because one day they could easily become Myspace, but as of now they do have a pretty dominant position. 

Edited by Soxbadger

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Bezos’s $150 Billion Fortune Is a Policy Failure

Growing inequality in the United States shows that the game is rigged

https://medium.com/the-atlantic/jeff-bezoss-150-billion-fortune-is-a-policy-failure-f569af2f77dc

The result of these decades of trends and policy choices is that Jeff Bezos has accumulated a $150 billion fortune while the average American family is poorer than it was when the Great Recession hit. Concerns about such astonishing levels of inequality are not just about fairness, nor are they just sour-grapesing about runaway success. The point is not that Jeff Bezos himself has done wrong by accumulating such wealth, or creating such profitable and world-changing businesses. But wealth concentration is bad for the economy and the country itself, and the government has failed to counter it. Rising inequality fuels political polarization and partisan gridlock. It slows economic growth, and implies a lack of competition that fuels economic sclerosis. It makes the government less responsive to the demands of normal people, potentially putting our very democracy at risk. Bezos’s extraordinary fortune shows that the game is rigged. He just happened to play it better than anyone else.