White Sox Weekend: Officially Un-Rootable

Chisoxfn

White Sox Weekend WrapUp: Officially Un-Rootable

By Mario Scalise

Following this weekend's three-game series with the Orioles, two things are known -- one reaffirmed, the other realized. One, the White Sox playoff hopes are still alive and well (still 2.5 games out), and two, they are far from deserving of it.

So undeserving that it's come to this: if the Sox were to make the playoffs, I will find it extremely difficult to root for them...Rest of the Article

Good article. That 3-3 homestand vs. KC and the O's was truly bad bad baseball by the White Sox.

I disagree on the playoffs, however. If we somehow got in, that would mean we'd played pretty good baseball. To overcome Detroit, we are far enough back, we'd have to have a pretty darn good September.

But I do agree that this team is hard to root for. I have relaxed the last week finally realizing it isn't going to happen this year. If the team wants to shock me and get its head out of its ass, that much better.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
While you make some valid arguments throughout the article, I completely disagree with and can not comprehend anyone who would have a "hard time" rooting for our team in any circumstance, especially if we were already in the playoffs.

I agree,there are so many guys on this team that I love that I cant help but root for them.

I also agree with you Sonix, there is just no way I can ever root against a Sox team or anything like that. I will say this team is about as frustrating as the 03/04 Sox teams that would route people one day only to get there asses kicked another day.

This team is too good to be where it is, but really they haven't done the little things to win games. Some can be contributed to bad luck, but at the same time they've made a ton of errors (in the field, at the plate, in the head, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
I also agree with you Sonix, there is just no way I can ever root against a Sox team or anything like that. I will say this team is about as frustrating as the 03/04 Sox teams that would route people one day only to get there asses kicked another day.

This team is too good to be where it is, but really they haven't done the little things to win games. Some can be contributed to bad luck, but at the same time they've made a ton of errors (in the field, at the plate, in the head, etc).

Oh i agree they are frustrating and disappointing and sometimes (like last night) they just piss me off. But even in times like last night, when I shut the game off I still saw myself checking my phone for the score every ten minutes. I would never not root for them, unless it was 1 or 2 games at the end of the season that would help the draft position to get an elite/uber prospect (like a Starboug/Harper type). And I do care about the game and would rather teams that deserve to be there flourish, but when the playoffs start, if my team is in it, then f*** all the other teams cuz I only care about mine lol.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)

Ok, I haven't read the whole thing but I will ask this question, and then go read the article... (uh oh, :lol:) but the mental errors tells me something perhaps - has Ozzie lost the team?

I don't find the Sox to be un-rootable, but they are as hard to root for as any Sox team I have ever seen. They are certainly VERY VERY unwatchable. I haven't watched 9 innings of a Sox game very often lately because it's almost impossible to do without self mutilation coming into play.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Ok, I haven't read the whole thing but I will ask this question, and then go read the article... (uh oh, :lol:) but the mental errors tells me something perhaps - has Ozzie lost the team?

He's either lost this team, or the 2009 version of Ozzie Guillen is a bad manager. What has happened in games is absolutely inexcuseable.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I recall Jim H vaguly but he and fathom do not get along I take it.

I think Guillen deserves a good amount of the blame for the inconsistency with this team. I am not saying he should be fired or anything but this is the first time in his tenure that I do not think he is remotly close to getting the best out of his team.

He's either lost this team, or the 2009 version of Ozzie Guillen is a bad manager. What has happened in games is absolutely inexcuseable.

2009 sure as hell wasn't the only version that was a bad manager, hate to tell you.

And I agree. How the hell do you NOT root for your team, especially if your post-season team has a rotation like the one we (presumably) will have?

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
2009 sure as hell wasn't the only version that was a bad manager, hate to tell you.

And I agree. How the hell do you NOT root for your team, especially if your post-season team has a rotation like the one we (presumably) will have?

LMAO. That didn't take long for you to make an appearance after this was brought up. :D

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
So if the Sox made the playoffs you would root against them because a team with a record worse than ours didn't make it? What?

1. Never said I'd root against them, just that the baseball fan in me would make it hard to root for them. I think baseball is too long of a season for a team to make the playoffs because of the luck of the division they are in.

2. Just because the Sox don't deserve to make the playoffs, doesn't mean the Tigers do deserve to make it. If both teams continue to play the way they're playing, neither would be worthy of making the playoffs, but one would be lucky enough because they played in such a weak division.

QUOTE (Molto @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
1. Never said I'd root against them, just that the baseball fan in me would make it hard to root for them. I think baseball is too long of a season for a team to make the playoffs because of the luck of the division they are in.

2. Just because the Sox don't deserve to make the playoffs, doesn't mean the Tigers do deserve to make it. If both teams continue to play the way they're playing, neither would be worthy of making the playoffs, but one would be lucky enough because they played in such a weak division.

Both teams (Detoilet and the Sox) have been a struggle to watch just from what I've seen.

You know what drives me crazy?

How much different is this team from the one we had on June 1? Rios, Beckham, hopefully Peavy soon, Floyd out of his slump, Podsednik's magical youth potions, the Pena deal, TCQ back and hitting with some power.

On June 1, we were 25-25 and 3.5 games back. We've added all those guys, gotten rid of chaff like Colon, Lillibridge, etc., and we're now 1 game above .500 and still 3.5 games back.

WTF is with that?

Good analysis. This team drives me as crazy as those teams did. Therefore, my emotional stock in this team has dropped to a new low this season. I want to watch Gordon grow, but no one is helping him at all, so I'll probably miss a lot of these final games unless I notice we're tied up with Detroit in the standings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)

How much different is this team from the one we had on June 1? Rios, Beckham, hopefully Peavy soon, Floyd out of his slump, Podsednik's magical youth potions, the Pena deal, TCQ back and hitting with some power.

On June 1, we were 25-25 and 3.5 games back. We've added all those guys, gotten rid of chaff like Colon, Lillibridge, etc., and we're now 1 game above .500 and still 3.5 games back.

WTF is with that?

That's the exact same question we've all been asking.

LMAO. That didn't take long for you to make an appearance after this was brought up. :D

What can I say? Every time someone makes a comment regarding Ozzie's managing abilities, destiny leads me to it. At least there's something I've become known for on this board. :D

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)

WTF is with that?

We brought in some fancy new deck chairs, but we still have the same captain and crew leading us on this Titanic voyage :-P.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
Good analysis. This team drives me as crazy as those teams did. Therefore, my emotional stock in this team has dropped to a new low this season. I want to watch Gordon grow, but no one is helping him at all, so I'll probably miss a lot of these final games unless I notice we're tied up with Detroit in the standings.

The key with me is that I really really like this team. I love where the club is positioned for this year and the next 3-4 years and I can't wait to see it all work it. Unfortunately they just aren't quite there yet, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox go on a huge run (wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either) but have the components of a very good baseball club.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
The key with me is that I really really like this team. I love where the club is positioned for this year and the next 3-4 years and I can't wait to see it all work it. Unfortunately they just aren't quite there yet, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Sox go on a huge run (wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either) but have the components of a very good baseball club.

Palehose just said it (rearrange deck chairs on the titanic), and I asked it. You watch the games more then I do. Do you think that Oz has lost the team? When I do watch, the mental mistakes are just brutal, yet, that's what Oz is supposed to NOT put up with.