White Sox Weekend: Officially Un-Rootable

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Palehose just said it (rearrange deck chairs on the titanic), and I asked it. You watch the games more then I do. Do you think that Oz has lost the team? When I do watch, the mental mistakes are just brutal, yet, that's what Oz is supposed to NOT put up with.

I think there are a lot more physical mistakes than mental mistakes and I really don't think Ozzie has lost the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
You know what drives me crazy?

How much different is this team from the one we had on June 1? Rios, Beckham, hopefully Peavy soon, Floyd out of his slump, Podsednik's magical youth potions, the Pena deal, TCQ back and hitting with some power.

On June 1, we were 25-25 and 3.5 games back. We've added all those guys, gotten rid of chaff like Colon, Lillibridge, etc., and we're now 1 game above .500 and still 3.5 games back.

WTF is with that?

Like I've said, it's an overall team mentality which needs to be broken by shaking something up big time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Like I've said, it's an overall team mentality which needs to be broken by shaking something up big time.

Bringing in: Jake Peavy, Alex Rios, Scott Podsednik, Gordon Beckham, Castro, demoting Contreras, Fields, Lillibridge to AAA, these things don't work as big enough shakeups? Basically, beyond that you're firing the whole team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
WE'RE STILL ONLY 4.5 BACK!!

and that would matter if we were surging from 7+ back like MIN, and DET was slumping, but it's the opposite......Detroit has looked like absolute winners against LAA the past two days, and we've looked absolutely pathetic for three straight series, two of which were against the worst the AL has to offer........and overall the team just looks lost in nearly every facet of the game, including confidence, people point to a lot of places, but I have to question the leader/manager of a team who seems to make it's fans want to slit their wrists EVERY August/Sept for the past 5 years!!!! (yes including the WS year)... a lot of players have come and gone but as a franchise this is a constant....

the problem among those on this board is the same as the past 5 seasons.....on paper we have "so much" talent, but the execution does not match what we expect from the Names on continuous basis......

we all need to start reading the STATS of these players/team objectively/unemotionally and disconnect from the vision of what we think the players SHOULD be doing or are capable of.

To a non-Sox fan the record in one run games, record when down in late innings, runs scored, runs against, LOB (our personal trademark), stolen base totals, staff ERA, tell the ENTIRE story, we're just all too blind to see the obvious because "Quentin was going to be the MVP" "PK and Dye were so great the first half" "what a resurgence by Pods" "Buehrle had a perfect game" "Alexei has five GSs in less than two years of pro ball" "Beckham is a ROTY candidate" "Floyd was untouchable for 3-4 consective starts" "Contreras was awesome for 3 games since coming back from the minors"

but when you add up those mini facts they don't translate to a consistently performing team, and tends to negate the lows which outnumber these highs and leads to our current record and downward trend in the playoff race

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
and that would matter if we were surging from 7+ back like MIN, and DET was slumping, but it's the opposite......Detroit has looked like absolute winners against LAA the past two days, and we've looked absolutely pathetic for three straight series, two of which were against the worst the AL has to offer........and overall the team just looks lost in nearly every facet of the game, including confidence, people point to a lot of places, but I have to question the leader/manager of a team who seems to make it's fans want to slit their wrists EVERY August/Sept for the past 5 years!!!! (yes including the WS year)... a lot of players have come and gone but as a franchise this is a constant....

the problem among those on this board is the same as the past 5 seasons.....on paper we have "so much" talent, but the execution does not match what we expect from the Names on continuous basis......

we all need to start reading the STATS of these players/team objectively/unemotionally and disconnect from the vision of what we think the players SHOULD be doing or are capable of.

To a non-Sox fan the record in one run games, record when down in late innings, runs scored, runs against, LOB (our personal trademark), stolen base totals, staff ERA, tell the ENTIRE story, we're just all too blind to see the obvious because "Quentin was going to be the MVP" "PK and Dye were so great the first half" "what a resurgence by Pods" "Buehrle had a perfect game" "Alexei has five GSs in less than two years of pro ball" "Beckham is a ROTY candidate" "Floyd was untouchable for 3-4 consective starts" "Contreras was awesome for 3 games since coming back from the minors"

but when you add up those mini facts they don't translate to a consistently performing team, and tends to negate the lows which outnumber these highs and leads to our current record and downward trend in the playoff race

:notworthy to the entire post, but mostly the bold part.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
Maybe the team is tired from the record heat of the summer? How many 90+ degree games have we played in this summer? Two?

c'mon, half the roster is from south of Florida. it's like my son's coach (former Dodger coach '74-'98, Mark Cresse) says on hot days "hey listen, there are thousands of kids in the Dominican who play in this every day of the year and their parents have to beg them to come off the field. if you can't take this you'll never compete with those guys"