Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

Might be slightly early for this, but a couple interesting stories up on ESPN so i figured what the hell. This doesnt need to be pinned yet but I didn't wanna create separate topics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4422145

So apparently, FIU, Isaiah Thomas' new team, is threatening to pull out of the Coaches vs Cancer Classic b/c they are scheduled to play UNC. They say they agreed to play Ohio State and the organizing committee is saying that wasn't so.

Great way to begin your tenure, Isaiah.

Also, Elliott Williams cleared to play this year for Memphis

His mother is sick and he's from the area so the NCAA granted him a waiver.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
FIU sold its soul and soon it'll be on probation.

Who does FIU think they are if they by pulling this stunt? It's comical.

They have a somewhat decent recruiting class coming in this year and next though. Isaiah still is a big name, if he can help pull some talent from the south I could truly see him turning that program into a decent mid-major.

ex-Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie arrested for DUI. From all the drinky stories I used to hear in Champaign when he was an assistant, I cant say this is a big suprise

didnt realize earlier, but its the third time hes been arrested for DUI

Edited by LittleHurt05

Isiah was funny in his statements. First of all he jumped the gun and started to talk about opening with Ohio St. before it was set in stone, the school even made schedules with it. Then he tells the media how excited he is to be opening against a big time team. "Ohio State on the road in the big 10, it doesen't get any bigger then that. Then he says no way to UNC saying "Were not ready for a of big time game like that yet". LOL

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
Harrison Barnes down to his top 6, but I think he's goin to Duke.

Other schools are Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, North Carolina and UCLA.

Right now it seems Duke and Kansas are out front. However, UNC is making up a lot of ground and has him in for an official visit this weekend during a huge events weekend.

One thing that is good for UNC is Harrison's desire for a very good business school, which Duke doesn't have.

But I have said Duke all a long and I'm sticking with it.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Right now it seems Duke and Kansas are out front. However, UNC is making up a lot of ground and has him in for an official visit this weekend during a huge events weekend.

One thing that is good for UNC is Harrison's desire for a very good business school, which Duke doesn't have.

But I have said Duke all a long and I'm sticking with it.

thats funny as he will prob stay for one year anyways.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
thats funny as he will prob stay for one year anyways.

Yep, but he's the rare kind of kid that truly does care about his degree and after basketball life. He's "unique", one of the brightest kids you will ever see, who also happens to be the best player in his class.

It's going to make me sick if he's at Duke.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
Yep, but he's the rare kind of kid that truly does care about his degree and after basketball life. He's "unique", one of the brightest kids you will ever see, who also happens to be the best player in his class.

It's going to make me sick if he's at Duke.

Duke is done!!

Stay close to home and go to the 2008 and 2010 champion jayhawks.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
This is going to be a VERY VERY fun year for my Jayhawks!!!

By the way, the twins both put on close to 30 lbs over the summer!!!

I can't wait till the Jayhawks come to Knoxville in January. I mean, we're going to get killed, but it should be a fun game nonetheless.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
he lists Iowa State to be nice to the local community, no way on god's green earth he wastes his time and development there.

I'm hearin from people he listed us to be nice, and I've heard its between Duke and ISU. Don't know what to think, cause I'm hearing it from people both close to the program and close to Harrison.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
I'm hearin from people he listed us to be nice, and I've heard its between Duke and ISU. Don't know what to think, cause I'm hearing it from people both close to the program and close to Harrison.

People close to the program: ISU

People close to H Barnes: Duke

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 2, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
People close to the program: Both.

People close to Barnes: ISU slightly more than Duke.

What I have heard is Iowa State is just an afterthought due to his familiarity with the school and his parents connection with work there. Duke has been the favorite, with Kansas and Carolina the next strongest possibilities. His visits are coming up, and hopefully he can do a Brandon Wright and just love the late night with Roy campus trip he is coming for and become a Tarheel .Wright was said to be a heavy Duke or Kentucky lean until the very same visit and he left a Tarheel verbal. If he doesn't come to Blue Heaven that opens the door for Jones or Leslie .

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
What I have heard is Iowa State is just an afterthought due to his familiarity with the school and his parents connection with work there. Duke has been the favorite, with Kansas and Carolina the next strongest possibilities. His visits are coming up, and hopefully he can do a Brandon Wright and just love the late night with Roy campus trip he is coming for and become a Tarheel .Wright was said to be a heavy Duke or Kentucky lean until the very same visit and he left a Tarheel verbal. If he doesn't come to Blue Heaven that opens the door for Jones or Leslie .

No offense, but I'm guessing my sources are closer than your sources ;)

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
No offense, but I'm guessing my sources are closer than your sources ;)

Probably so, and that may account for more respect being given to his feelings toward Iowa State. The people who are familiar with Iowa State and Ames in general, where his parents work and he has had relationships with the program are the closest. I doubt Barnes would like to alienate or act disrespectful to the possibility of being a Cyclone to them. Hey, I would never say never, but it seems from most following his recruitment thet Iowa State is more a familiarity thing and he is showing them respect, but not a top contender. I would much rather see him there then Duke though, so good luck if UNC can't win him over to wear Carolina blue.

Barnes has kept it pretty close to the vest about his feelings to this point though, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up anywhere left on his list.

Edited by JuiceCruz16