Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

My prediction for this year's Big Ten:

1. MSU

2. ILL (within a game of winning the conference)

3. MINN

4. PUR

5. MICH

6. OSU

7. WIS

8. NW

9. IOWA

10. PSU

11. IND

MSU loses some games it shouldn't early on, making the race for the title closer than expected. Illinois has a somewhat favorable schedule, so they come within a couple of games of winning. Basically 2-7 are a toss up, but I DO think Purdue is going to take a step back this year, while Michigan and Minnesota become really tough outs. OSU I'm not sold on. Unless you've got 3 NBA ready players (not just NBA potential players), you can't just plug in 2-3 blue chip starters each year and expect to be good. They have the names, but I dunno, its a wait and see for me with them. I also think one of the bottom three is going to have a suprise win or two against one of the top three. They're all not very good, but I think they'll be competitive.

Come tourney time I expect the top 6 to get past the first round, 4 will get past the 1st weekend, 3 will be in the elite eight, and at least one will be in the final four. Depends on matchups, otherwise I'd say which teams.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big 10 actually has the potential to be a very good league this season. I think Illinois is more likely to win the league or come very close in 2010-2011 though. I think MSU and Purdue will be fighting for the league crown this year, with Illinois, Ohio State, and perhaps Minnesota all fighting for 3rd. Combine that with Northwestern, Michigan, and Wisconsin all being pretty solid, and the league in my opinion has 8 teams who are definitely good enough to make the field of 65. Although we all know it'll probably be more like 6 teams making it since the league teams will beat each other up and the games will be too poorly officiated and low scoring for national perception to allow 7 or 8 teams in. In addition to those problems, it's feasible that even among the bottom 3, Iowa and Indiana will improve (Penn State is the only Big 10 team I am confident will be worse this season than they were a year ago) so you might see some upsets which hurt bubble teams chances.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
The Big 10 actually has the potential to be a very good league this season. I think Illinois is more likely to win the league or come very close in 2010-2011 though. I think MSU and Purdue will be fighting for the league crown this year, with Illinois, Ohio State, and perhaps Minnesota all fighting for 3rd. Combine that with Northwestern, Michigan, and Wisconsin all being pretty solid, and the league in my opinion has 8 teams who are definitely good enough to make the field of 65. Although we all know it'll probably be more like 6 teams making it since the league teams will beat each other up and the games will be too poorly officiated and low scoring for national perception to allow 7 or 8 teams in. In addition to those problems, it's feasible that even among the bottom 3, Iowa and Indiana will improve (Penn State is the only Big 10 team I am confident will be worse this season than they were a year ago) so you might see some upsets which hurt bubble teams chances.

Iowa is going to be horrible, and I really can't see them improving. They were awful last year, didn't bring in a good recruiting class, and lost two of their three best players. Not to mention that they lost 5 of their top 8 scorers.

Ya most of the Ilstu love is kind of fun joke and us just being completely bias.

But if you guys honestly believe that ISU wouldn't have a chance in hell of beating U of I at Redbird Arena then you're just as biased as us.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
SI just had Osiris listed as the 13th most exciting player in college basketball.

Can you send me the link to that article?

edit: never mind found it

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:23 PM)
Iowa is going to be horrible, and I really can't see them improving. They were awful last year, didn't bring in a good recruiting class, and lost two of their three best players. Not to mention that they lost 5 of their top 8 scorers.

I don't think they can get much worse. But even if we assume you are right, it's possible that 9 of the 11 teams in the league could improve. Even a person such as myself who generally snipes on the Big 10 (and usually deservedly so) can admit the league is pretty good this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
I don't think they can get much worse. But even if we assume you are right, it's possible that 9 of the 11 teams in the league could improve. Even a person such as myself who generally snipes on the Big 10 (and usually deservedly so) can admit the league is pretty good this year.

They can't get much worse, but it is hard to image that a team that brings in no impact freshmen and loses by far its best player and 2 of its 3 best players (who were also their two primary ballhandlers) as well as their top interior player in Cyrus Tate can get better. IU will be better but they will still struggle a lot but I think they will get a team or two at their place. PSU will be really bad but Taylor Battle likely gets them an upset or two by himself. IMO the Big 10 is the best basketball conference this year but they have to prove it by knocking off the ACC in the ACC/Big 10 challenge and by winning their big non conference games. I hope they can do that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
They can't get much worse, but it is hard to image that a team that brings in no impact freshmen and loses by far its best player and 2 of its 3 best players (who were also their two primary ballhandlers) as well as their top interior player in Cyrus Tate can get better. IU will be better but they will still struggle a lot but I think they will get a team or two at their place. PSU will be really bad but Taylor Battle likely gets them an upset or two by himself. IMO the Big 10 is the best basketball conference this year but they have to prove it by knocking off the ACC in the ACC/Big 10 challenge and by winning their big non conference games. I hope they can do that.

I thought for a second that 101 quoted and argued against his own post, haha... Y'alls 2 screen names confused the s*** out of me.

As for the Big 10, is Indiana really supposed to be that bad that some are projecting them to finish last? I mean, I know they lost practically everyone after Sampson got the boot, but it's just weird seeing Indiana listed last.

Ill be interested to see how Matt Vogrich, another kid I got to follow in high school, does at Michigan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan finishes top 3 in Big Ten. They would have to play more consistent than last year but they have a possible national player of the year. Who knows. Probably couldn't beat Illinois State.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)

Iowa will be beyond horrible. We have nothing.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:26 PM)
Ya most of the Ilstu love is kind of fun joke and us just being completely bias.

But if you guys honestly believe that ISU wouldn't have a chance in hell of beating U of I at Redbird Arena then you're just as biased as us.

Define "chance." I don't think anyone would argue they don't have a "chance," but they have an incredibly small one (1 in 100). That's not bias, it's just the way it is. Illinois has better talent, better coaching, and more depth. It's not even close.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Define "chance." I don't think anyone would argue they don't have a "chance," but they have an incredibly small one (1 in 100). That's not bias, it's just the way it is. Illinois has better talent, better coaching, and more depth. It's not even close.

Illinois State would need the perfect storm to beat Illinois. You can't rule out college basketball upsets ever due to the 3 point shot, but Illinois has far, far better players than Illinois State, especially with the incoming guys this year added into the fold.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)

What I mean is people like you who think its 1/100 chance when in reality and I'm not being biased its probably much closer to 25/100.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 24, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
What I mean is people like you who think its 1/100 chance when in reality and I'm not being biased its probably much closer to 25/100.

You really think they have a 25% chance to win? Realistically? I think if they played 10 games, they'd be lucky to win 1.

Alex Legion, 28 pts, 11-15 FG, 6-8 behind the arc in the O & B scrimmage game. If he can play anywhere near to his potential, instead of the suckfest he was last year, it will make the Illini so much stronger and they will have a chance to compete for the conference title. Either way, cant wait for the season to start, the Big 10 has so much talent, should be very entertaining, the experts are even predicting NW to finally make the tourney

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
I'd honestly say on a neutral court the chance is closer to 25-30%. 1% is ridiculous. Illinois is not North Carolina here.

And Illinois State isn't Gonaga

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
Alex Legion, 28 pts, 11-15 FG, 6-8 behind the arc in the O & B scrimmage game. If he can play anywhere near to his potential, instead of the suckfest he was last year, it will make the Illini so much stronger and they will have a chance to compete for the conference title. Either way, cant wait for the season to start, the Big 10 has so much talent, should be very entertaining, the experts are even predicting NW to finally make the tourney

What is Brandon Paul's role gonna be? I'm guessing he will be starting by years end.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
What is Brandon Paul's role gonna be? I'm guessing he will be starting by years end.

Richardson is without a doubt the best of the freshmen and he will be the starting 2G with McCamey locked in at the PG and Tisdale and Davis the starting C and PF. I think Legion is the starting 3/WG and Paul the first guard off the bench playing 20+ minutes per game. I could see Paul starting by the end of the year but that will depend on how well Legion plays. Keller and Griffey will be the first two bigs off of the bench and then Bertrand and Jordan will also get playing time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
No it's not, unless the games are being played in Normal. Then i'd say ISU might win 2 out of 10.

2/10=/=

I'm saying ISU would win 2-3 games. So what exactly are we arguing about? haha

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
2/10=/=

I'm saying ISU would win 2-3 games. So what exactly are we arguing about? haha

Whats wrong with this scenario is the 2 teams arent playing each other 10 times, only 1 game so the better team(illini) wouldnt have any let down games against the worse team(isu) if they did play 10 in a row. So in 1 game, I wouldnt give ISU much of a shot to win, 10% sounds about right.