Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
Richardson is without a doubt the best of the freshmen and he will be the starting 2G with McCamey locked in at the PG and Tisdale and Davis the starting C and PF. I think Legion is the starting 3/WG and Paul the first guard off the bench playing 20+ minutes per game. I could see Paul starting by the end of the year but that will depend on how well Legion plays. Keller and Griffey will be the first two bigs off of the bench and then Bertrand and Jordan will also get playing time.

I haven't heard much about Bertrand and have a finally my prediction is rounding into shape about him being a bust. Everytime I saw that kid, he just seemed lazy and uninterested. He definitely has skill, but just don't think he will be a big time player with Illini.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
My prediction for this year's Big Ten:

1. MSU

2. ILL (within a game of winning the conference)

3. MINN

4. PUR

5. MICH

6. OSU

7. WIS

8. NW

9. IOWA

10. PSU

11. IND

MSU loses some games it shouldn't early on, making the race for the title closer than expected. Illinois has a somewhat favorable schedule, so they come within a couple of games of winning. Basically 2-7 are a toss up, but I DO think Purdue is going to take a step back this year, while Michigan and Minnesota become really tough outs. OSU I'm not sold on. Unless you've got 3 NBA ready players (not just NBA potential players), you can't just plug in 2-3 blue chip starters each year and expect to be good. They have the names, but I dunno, its a wait and see for me with them. I also think one of the bottom three is going to have a suprise win or two against one of the top three. They're all not very good, but I think they'll be competitive.

Come tourney time I expect the top 6 to get past the first round, 4 will get past the 1st weekend, 3 will be in the elite eight, and at least one will be in the final four. Depends on matchups, otherwise I'd say which teams.

Pretty good prediction IMO. The league is going to beat up on itself however and i think that will hurt the overall records, but they will surprise some people in the tourney. On OSU, you are right, they have had some trouble reloading under Matta so far, but they do have 2 NBA players this year, 3 if Lauderdale wasnt hurt. However I am still not sold on Matta developing these young players.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
My prediction for this year's Big Ten:

1. MSU

2. ILL (within a game of winning the conference)

3. MINN

4. PUR

5. MICH

6. OSU

7. WIS

8. NW

9. IOWA

10. PSU

11. IND

MSU loses some games it shouldn't early on, making the race for the title closer than expected. Illinois has a somewhat favorable schedule, so they come within a couple of games of winning. Basically 2-7 are a toss up, but I DO think Purdue is going to take a step back this year, while Michigan and Minnesota become really tough outs. OSU I'm not sold on. Unless you've got 3 NBA ready players (not just NBA potential players), you can't just plug in 2-3 blue chip starters each year and expect to be good. They have the names, but I dunno, its a wait and see for me with them. I also think one of the bottom three is going to have a suprise win or two against one of the top three. They're all not very good, but I think they'll be competitive.

Come tourney time I expect the top 6 to get past the first round, 4 will get past the 1st weekend, 3 will be in the elite eight, and at least one will be in the final four. Depends on matchups, otherwise I'd say which teams.

Possible, but I don't see how Purdue will take a step back. With Moore, Hummel, and Johnson as seasoned juniors they should be very tough to deal with.

1a. Michigan State

1b. Purdue

Fairly big drop off

3. Michigan

4. Ohio State

5. Illinois

6. Wisconsin

7. Minnesota

8. Penn State

9. Northwestern

10. Indiana

11.Iowa

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
Didn't he hurt his knee or something? I think he's been limited because of that, not for effort.

Saw him 3 times his junior year, twice his senior knee. Hope he didn't have year and a half knee injuries.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Possible, but I don't see how Purdue will take a step back. With Moore, Hummel, and Johnson as seasoned juniors they should be very tough to deal with.

1a. Michigan State

1b. Purdue

Fairly big drop off

3. Michigan

4. Ohio State

5. Illinois

6. Wisconsin

7. Minnesota

8. Penn State

9. Northwestern

10. Indiana

11.Iowa

Wow. While I realize the Big 10 is a very improved conference, I think you're drunk if you think Wisconsin and Ohio State are going to end up better than Minnesota this year. We've got a legit chance to be third in the conference and make some serious noise in the NCAA Tournament. We return 9 players from last year after losing a couple of dead weights (Abu-Shamala, Payton, Williams) and adding a legit top 15 recruiting class (White, Williams, Cobbs, Mbakwe [assuming he plays]). Add in the development of our freshman big men from last year, and we're going to be a very, very dangerous team this year.

QUOTE (Felix @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
Wow. While I realize the Big 10 is a very improved conference, I think you're drunk if you think Wisconsin and Ohio State are going to end up better than Minnesota this year. We've got a legit chance to be third in the conference and make some serious noise in the NCAA Tournament. We return 9 players from last year after losing a couple of dead weights (Abu-Shamala, Payton, Williams) and adding a legit top 15 recruiting class (White, Williams, Cobbs, Mbakwe [assuming he plays]). Add in the development of our freshman big men from last year, and we're going to be a very, very dangerous team this year.

I saw them ranked as 24th on rivals, why did you move them up 9 spots? And I think OSU has a decent chance to end up where he put them based on the talent they put on the court, having Evan Turner and William Buford back makes them dangerous enough.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Because no one uses Rivals for basketball. They're 16 on Scout, 14th on RSCI.

gotcha, too much football recruiting reading.

One thing that the conference has in basketball that they dont have in football though : Top notch coaching from almost top to bottom.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)

1a. Michigan State

1b. Purdue

Fairly big drop off

3. Michigan

4. Ohio State

5. Illinois

6. Wisconsin

7. Minnesota

8. Penn State

9. Northwestern

10. Indiana

11.Iowa

Call it a gut feeling. I just think expectations are going to be really high for them. And they have a tough road schedule (playing @ all of the top 6-7 teams). Also, I dunno how you think there's such a big gap between msu/pur and the rest of the conference. Illinois beat Purdue twice last year, and are going to put a better team on the court this year. And the majority of the conference played underclassmen last year. There aren't too many teams that lost a whole lot of important seniors.

MSU has a crazy 2 week stretch in late jan-early feb, playing @ minn, @ mich, home versus NW, @ wis, @ ill and then home against pur. That'll prolly determine the conference title right there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I guarantee Iowa will suck. If they don't, its because the rest of college basketball got swine flu for the entire season and they were the only ones immune to it.

Is Cully Payne healthy? That is a kid who will play hard every minute on the floor, no matter how bad they are.

I will get to see Brust play alot this year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Call it a gut feeling. I just think expectations are going to be really high for them. And they have a tough road schedule (playing @ all of the top 6-7 teams). Also, I dunno how you think there's such a big gap between msu/pur and the rest of the conference. Illinois beat Purdue twice last year, and are going to put a better team on the court this year. And the majority of the conference played underclassmen last year. There aren't too many teams that lost a whole lot of important seniors.

MSU has a crazy 2 week stretch in late jan-early feb, playing @ minn, @ mich, home versus NW, @ wis, @ ill and then home against pur. That'll prolly determine the conference title right there.

The unbalanced schedule can be difficult, but I just like the veteren leadership with their big trio having two solid years of leading the show opposed to many of the other teams talented youngsters. It will be interesting as always with some surprises along the way that's for sure. As for Minnesota, I'm just not a believer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Pretty good prediction IMO. The league is going to beat up on itself however and i think that will hurt the overall records, but they will surprise some people in the tourney. On OSU, you are right, they have had some trouble reloading under Matta so far, but they do have 2 NBA players this year, 3 if Lauderdale wasnt hurt. However I am still not sold on Matta developing these young players.

Dallas Lauderdale to the NBA really? A guy who had terrible rebounding numbers and has shown no offensive ability? Do you mean David Lighty? Because he hasn't shown anything in his first three years injury or not which would lead one to believe he is heading to the NBA. He had a lofty ranking coming out of HS and he certainly could have a huge SR year but his production to this point has been extremely mediocre.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Dallas Lauderdale to the NBA really? A guy who had terrible rebounding numbers and has shown no offensive ability? Do you mean David Lighty? Because he hasn't shown anything in his first three years injury or not which would lead one to believe he is heading to the NBA. He had a lofty ranking coming out of HS and he certainly could have a huge SR year but his production to this point has been extremely mediocre.

Yes, I think he has an NBA future. i see you looked up his soph year stats, I am not basing it on his stats. He had an NBA body as a soph in really his second year of serious basketbal development. I see him as an NBA ready guy in two years. Lighty did not play last year FYI, he was a med redshirt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
Yes, I think he has an NBA future. i see you looked up his soph year stats, I am not basing it on his stats. He had an NBA body as a soph in really his second year of serious basketbal development. I see him as an NBA ready guy in two years. Lighty did not play last year FYI, he was a med redshirt.

I have never seen anything from Lauderdale that indicates he has an NBA future but I guess we'll see. If you are counting him as an NBA prospect than there are an unbelievable amount of NBA prospects in college basketball. The guy has shown no offensive ability to speak of, has had bad rebounding numbers, is really small for an NBA center and doesn't show the skill that the NBA looks for out of NBA PF. He also isn't a great athlete. He could make a huge jump and be an NBA player but the same could be said about any number of college basketball players.

Quick edit, sure he could be an NBA guy in 2 years but generally when college fans talk about their team having a certain amount of NBA players they are talking about guys that are no doubters (ex. Buford, Turner) if you are going to define Lauderdale as a potential NBA guy then I could see that. Just that if you argue it that way than a ton of teams have a bunch of "NBA" guys.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

I'm real excited for Purdue to tip off its season.

I still don't feel they can make a big run in the tourney because of their lack of down low players and their physical style but they have more experience. Who knows. Hummel needs to stay healthy. Byrd looks like a nice addition to the team judging from what I've watched in video clips. They look to have a strong recruiting class for next year.

My early favorite to win the tourney is Kentucky, pretty sure that is just about everyone's favorite though.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Oct 28, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I'm real excited for Purdue to tip off its season.

I still don't feel they can make a big run in the tourney because of their lack of down low players and their physical style but they have more experience. Who knows. Hummel needs to stay healthy. Byrd looks like a nice addition to the team judging from what I've watched in video clips. They look to have a strong recruiting class for next year.

My early favorite to win the tourney is Kentucky, pretty sure that is just about everyone's favorite though.

?? Do you mean Kansas?