Important Quotes from KW and AJP

Wise Master Buehrle

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...eavy-rios_N.htm

If they can't get the White Sox to the postseason, then Peavy and Rios might be surrounded by fresh faces next year.

"This would be the most disappointing season for me if we don't get in the playoffs," Williams says.

"I like this team. This team is better than a lot of teams we've ever had here. If you want to stay here, take the AL Central title. If not, it leaves it to my imagination to make this team better. And I've got a big imagination."

Catcher A.J. Pierzynski says the players are aware of what is at stake: "If we win, I think we have a chance to be here for a long time. But if we lose and don't make the playoffs, there may be some core guys in here not coming back."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless, some of these guys are gone after this season. I like the fact that KW speaks his mind and calls out the team. We all have our guys we'd like to see suit up for the Sox next year and those we don't want to see as a Sox again. Time will tell who will be here and who won't be.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)

Everyone knows whats at stake. For guys like Pods, Thome and Dye- this may be their final run with us. The time is now for them to step up. In 2004 when we fell short of the playoffs, KW used his imagination to the extreme!

Let Maggs and Valentin walk via free agency.

Trade Lee for Pods, Vizciano.

Sign Dye, El-duque, AJ, Hermanson and Iguchi.

And prior to 2004 ending KW aqcuired Contreras, Everett and Garcia via midseason trades.

This year KW aqcuired Peavy, Rios and Pena via midseason trades.

Will he let Dye, Thome, Dotel and Contreras walk via free agency?

What big name will he trade similar to Lee?

What free agents will he sign?

Maybe missing the playoffs in 2009 (although would suck) maybe a blessing in disguise.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Everyone knows whats at stake. For guys like Pods, Thome and Dye- this may be their final run with us. The time is now for them to step up. In 2004 when we fell short of the playoffs, KW used his imagination to the extreme!

And prior to 2004 ending KW aqcuired Contreras, Everett and Garcia via midseason trades.

Maybe missing the playoffs in 2009 (although would suck) maybe a blessing in disguise.

I have been saying this for awhile...the similarities are amazing between this year and 2004.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
I have been saying this for awhile...the similarities are amazing between this year and 2004.

Yea i started noticing it when KW aqcuired Peavy. Very similar to the Garcia move of 04. How that team underachieved and was riddled with injuries. Maggs and Thomas were lost for big parts of the year. This year Quentin has missed a lot of games, Getz, Danks and PEavy have all been injured.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)

Interesting...

Contreras and Dotel are definitely gone. Unless Dye really goes on a tear, my guess is that he's gone as well. I don't see Pods returning either. Thome has a decent shot at being re-signed on the cheap.

I think that A.J. is safe for one more year. Besides being another left-handed bat, he brings a ton of intangibles to this team and I don't think that they're ready to go with Flowers full-time yet.

I also agree with Kenny's comments. He must be more frustrated than Soxtalk, which is pretty difficult to imagine. :lolhitting

I think the best part of this quote is it directly effects our veterans. Obviously Dye, Thome, Pods, Contreras, Dotel, etc. are free agents and he is flat out saying he'll change things. You'd assume as a player it'd start right there with the guys who will just be let go.

Obviously AJ understands and reiterates that.

Cuz MB, Rios, Peavy and Kong probably arent going anywhere and the kids certainly arent soo....Then again the way KW sticks in that imagination quote in there all fronts should take it to heart but AJ is right with core guys.

Dye is someone who needs to take this quote to heart and snap out of it.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
Interesting...

Contreras and Dotel are definitely gone. Unless Dye really goes on a tear, my guess is that he's gone as well. I don't see Pods returning either. Thome has a decent shot at being re-signed on the cheap.

I think that A.J. is safe for one more year. Besides being another left-handed bat, he brings a ton of intangibles to this team and I don't think that they're ready to go with Flowers full-time yet.

I also agree with Kenny's comments. He must be more frustrated than Soxtalk, which is pretty difficult to imagine. :lolhitting

I think Pods, Dye, Contreras and Dotel are all gone.

Thome will be back for cheap to end his career here. He still has value a pretty decent OBP and he's a left handed power hitter.

What will be the Carlos Lee type trade: will it be Alexie Ramirez? Do i dare say Carlos Quentin? I know KW will make some sort of bold move if we miss this playoffs. Something to shake the foundation of this team.

What free agents will he sign to fill in the missing pieces? Figgins? Bettancourt? Wagner?

Who will be the 5th starter? Go after an aging veteran such as El-duque or let a kid like Hudson take a spot similar to what Danks did in 07.

There will be a lot of questions needing to be answered. But our core seems to be getting stronger and stronger. This team is close! 2010 we will be contenders no doubt!

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)

This is an interesting article. I don't think KW anticipated we would get Rios at all. It seems like it was just a routine waiver claim that went bad. I'm not sure we really wanted him at that price.

Does anyone else think that Peavy doesn't sound like a very confident pitcher? Is he just being very careful or is he just not anxious to get out there?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)

Alexei

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 26, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
I guess I'm confused, because I don't see AJP as a problem at all, yet some of you are suggesting that?

AJP is having an awesome year at the plate. Everyone is still waiting for his numbers to fall off.